How do you all take such beautiful photos of you guitars?

Tedddy

• Members
Some of the photos here are actually kind of crappy. So since the bar is not set very high, I'll post my crappy pics. I don't have a digital SLR, but I do have a camera that can be set totally manually, and the key is slow shutter, low ISO, medium aperature, and use the timer so that you don't shake the camera when the lens opens. Oh, and use some decent lighting. Bright sunlight is way to contrasty; filtered sunlight works better.

Show 'em that pic you took of your Les Pauls in front of the couch! That is one of the best guitar pics I've ever seen! :)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maltomario - I agree that using a wide aperture *can* help isolate the subject from their background, but generally for this kind of image (like a pack shot) greater depth of field and definition as produced by a mid-aperture is better.

Since we're now posting pics, this is my first go at the 'Bee effect.

DeanAcoustic04.jpg

And a couple I did some time ago (with 3mp Ricoh). Don't be afraid to experiment with backgrounds.

Heriflat03smaller.jpg

Strathoriz02smaller.jpg

woodyhead.jpg

Voxybaby01.jpg

A1looking.jpg

• Members
correction to number 2 above: you want a *larger* aperature to increase the "bokeh" or blurring of background. what you meant to say was smaller f-stop which equates to a larger aperature. for example a f/4 will produce more blurry background than an f/11.

blurring background makes image subject 'stand out' more and makes for an interesting photograph.

here is an example photo i took of a common housefly on my back deck:

496315570_49228e67ef_b.jpg

you can see how blurring the background really brings depth to an image.

good luck!

Good pic but was stitching his head up with shoe laces really neccessary?

• Members
Mazi,

Any tips on taking photos of a black guitar? I just got a DeArmond electric and I'm thinking it's going to be hard to capture the depth of a nice glossy black finish without showing all the hairline swirls.

I use the reflection of light to really capture the depth of a nice glossy finish.

I take great care to clean and polish the finish before even taking the photo. for instance, with my Edwards LP, it arrived with some pretty serious swirl marks on the top, so I used a 3 step polishing ritual that uses 3 different grades of 3M auto polishing compound to bring the finish back to factory new. Then I take the photos.

Sometimes if there's a stray piece of dust or scratch that's bothering me, I'll use photoshop to erase it. the biggest part though is just using a lint free polishing cloth with some pump spray.

Here's some examples:

Squier_Tele_Custom2_P90_02.jpg

Charvel_Tele_Black_03.jpg

Edwards_Les_Paul_Sykes_003.jpg

Edwards_Les_Paul_Sykes_004.jpg

Fender_51-62_Hybrid_03.jpg

Squier_ProTone_P-Bass_03.jpg

Dillion_58_Custom_V_002.jpg

Ibanez_Talman_NDM2_002.jpg

Ibanez_Talman_NDM2_003.jpg

• Members
correction to number 2 above: you want a *larger* aperature to increase the "bokeh" or blurring of background. what you meant to say was smaller f-stop which equates to a larger aperature. for example a f/4 will produce more blurry background than an f/11.

blurring background makes image subject 'stand out' more and makes for an interesting photograph.

good luck!

Yeah.. you're right.. I was tired when I wrote that!

P.S. WTF is bokeh? I've been doing photography for like 15 years, I did a degree in commercial photography.. I aint never heard of bokeh!! Is it some new fangled term for something thats been called something else? (to be honest I failed the optics component of our course):freak:

• Members

good luck!

thanks for the tips, that photo makes me want to smash bugs though.

• Members

I love swapping parts on my cameras.

There is a lot of good information here:

www.Iamaddictedtocameramodding.com

Bloody feck. I actually clicked on that.

Anyway, here are some pics of my Strat that I just took. Beautiful Monday morning sun, couldn't help it (public holiday here).

1573174153_912960fb9d_o.jpg

1573174157_d466f9327d_o.jpg

1573174171_8c2968698d_o.jpg

Oh and I played the Allman Bros' Fillmore record while snapping.. works like Dark Side and Wizard of Oz I tell ya.

• Members

Someone asked about taking pictures of black guitars. One of the hardest things to take a good picture of is a black cat. Here is a picture of black cat on a black amp that I love (the cat and the picture, sold the amp).

89882_HagridMatrixKitty_122_640lo.jpg

Now I just need a picture with a cat AND my feet in it!

Archived