Let's Pretend I had $600...What Amp Should I Get It?

elsupermanny14

• Members

So I'm bored...sitting in class and Chinas economy isn't stimulating me enough right now. So I want like 4 amps that I don't have the money for:

Fender Blues Jr.

Orange Tiny Terror

Vox AC15

BlackHeart BH5H

Which one should I get...hypothetically? I know the BlackHeart is half the price of all the others but can it hold up? The two that interest me most are the Tiny Terror and the Vox AC15. Any other sub $600 sugestions are welcome too...

(This is my college tuition at work...wireless everywhere on campus!)

• Members

I like the Vox too...however it's a heavy thing (50lbs), and they have some pretty poor QC going on in China where they make those amps. I went through 2 of them, both having various issues, and ended up returning the 3rd because the weight was an issue for me.

My vote (and what I ended up with personally...so call me biased :) ) is for the Fender Blues Jr. NOS Tweed if you want something "new".

Like others have posted, I'd certainly take (depending on condition of course) a '65 Deluxe Reverb.

• Members

I'd go for the Vox.
I've only ever been disappointed and super frustrated with Fender amps and there lack of ability to cut through the mix.
Vox' are more flexible and cut through, plus they have that over-coloured british tone which i'm already pretty baised towards anyways.
always a good thing :)

• Members

If I had $600 to spend on an amp, I'd save $40 more and get this:

374315.jpg

Of those you listed, I could get along quite well with either the Fender or the Vox. But they don't have FX loops and at this moment, that would be a deal breaker for me. I will say that probably the best sounding amp for my type of playing that I've played through in the last couple years was the AC15 with the Celestion Blue speaker. AWESOME! I love Fender amps, but the Blues Jr lacks something... a fullness or a bloom. Maybe because of a lack luster speaker... maybe because the cabinet is small. I don't know what. But I LOVE how the NOS lacquer amp looks. I'd pay $900 for a Blues Jr with a better speaker, and maybe a better reverb tank that was the size and looks of the NOS Blues Jr.

I played through a Tiny Terror twice and it was neat, but definitely not me.

Never even seen a Blackheart in person, I don't think.

• Members
If your not a tube snob.....go for the Vox AD50vt 2x12 modelling amp!

They are being blown out for $299.00 and free shipping...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD50VT212

AD50VT212_Top-b6931f686c920700223a7868c5

I try to remain positive on this board, but in this case I have to break that policy. That amp is easily the worst sounding amp I've ever played. It did nothing well; clean, dirty, effects, anything. And yes, I actually owned one, briefly, very briefly.

In the $600 range, I would say the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is the winner hands down. It is easily loud enough to be giggable, sounds absolutely excellent when played clean and dirtys up very nicely (actually capable of getting too dirty).

That said, I've never owned an AC15, so I guess I'd have to play one of those to be fair.

• Members

Well...this is all make believe because I don't have the money. I'm college, have a gf, and pay fraternity dues up the ass...so in other words I'm broke...but it's good to pretend!

But a few question did arise...How come no one is suggesting the Tiny Terror? I played that amp a while ago and I thought it was bitchin! To be honest I probably wouldn't get the Fender because I don't like Fender overdrives...not bad but I like some serious overdrive!

Af for the AD50...screw that (no offense). I own an AD30 and selling it. I used to like it a lot, but as my experience has developed in the past few months with different tube amps I've noticed the Vox lacks a lot of the kool things real tube amps offer. It isn't very reactive towards pick attack. Whatever it sets it it stays at regardless of volume change or attack...just my two cents on that.

...but yeah Tiny Terror? No one likes it?

• Members

Well...this is all make believe because I don't have the money. I'm college, have a gf, and pay fraternity dues up the ass...so in other words I'm broke...but it's good to pretend!

But a few question did arise...How come no one is suggesting the Tiny Terror? I played that amp a while ago and I thought it was bitchin! To be honest I probably wouldn't get the Fender because I don't like Fender overdrives...not bad but I like some serious overdrive!

Af for the AD50...screw that (no offense). I own an AD30 and selling it. I used to like it a lot, but as my experience has developed in the past few months with different tube amps I've noticed the Vox lacks a lot of the kool things real tube amps offer. It isn't very reactive towards pick attack. Whatever it sets it it stays at regardless of volume change or attack...just my two cents on that.

...but yeah Tiny Terror? No one likes it?

You have to pay fraternity dues. {censored} that. Who the hell wants to be in a fraternity?

Archived