Hwy 1 strat

Honky-Tonk

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The neck on my guitar is one of the nicest I have ever played on any guitar other than the EJ strat. Very cool. I have only played one of the new ones and it felt like a MIM neck but I might just be used to my guitar. The Faded Sunburst is not the best looking finish but a little polishing really makes it look nice.

• Members

They definitely sound good, but I don't really care for the dull satin finish. Also, I like glossy necks. On the plus side, they have those 70s-style headstocks which are pretty cool.

Ditto. I'm very happy with my 83 MIJ Strat and I seem to keep getting good deals on late 80s MIK Squiers which are an outstanding value. To make me ante up to close to new guitar prices, I'd strongly prefer a glossy neck and I don't like medium jumbo frets.

Ideally, I'd want a fairly dark 2 color burst or some slightly unusual color, glossy neck, vintage to medium frets, large headstock with the scrolled Fender logo, and nitro finish. That would be ideal.

Of course setup is everything, but most of the Highway 1s I've played have been decent and I've played a couple that really felt great. The local GC had a Deluxe Players in that honey blonde that was an exceptional player and sounded great to boot though I usually prefer lower output pickups.

If someone asked me to suggest a brand new Strat with the name Fender on it for $500-$800, my to prime suggestions (other than play everything you can find) would be either a Highway 1 or a Deluxe Players. The DP is Mexican but comes with arguably better pickups. Highway 1 is American and is great all around.

• Members

where ??

Apparently the 388 price was for select hwy 1's at various guitar centers. I'm nowhere near a GC or I would have tried to get one. FWIW, The hwy 1 I just picked up last week was $565 new, w/a nice gig bag at a fairly small shop.

• Members

Wait, I'm confused (as usual). I thought the H-1's were made in Mexico with USA parts, but I see several references to being MIA. Maybe they are made in US, but with Mexican parts? If they are made in the US, how come they are so much cheaper than say, an American Standard?

Since they are all made within feet of each other, the distinction is rather pointless. The plant lies on the border between Mexico and the U.S.

• Members

Wait, I'm confused (as usual). I thought the H-1's were made in Mexico with USA parts, but I see several references to being MIA. Maybe they are made in US, but with Mexican parts? If they are made in the US, how come they are so much cheaper than say, an American Standard?

I'm pretty sure Highway One guitars are a hybrid that are assembled in the States using the following ...

MIA:

Body

Neck

MIM:

Vintage Bridge

Saddles

Tuners

I don't know:

Pickups

Electronics

Strap Buttons

• Members

$388 is for 06 models though not the newer version 07 and up?

The frets arn't Stainless on them either. And I never heard of Poly anything on the HWY-1s? Its an Arcylic Laquer finish. Which is no different then Nitro. That was the BIG issue saying Arclyic isn't Nitro? Both are a petro base. There is no top coat so the finish wears to wood quickly. But thats a good thing.

• Members

Its a MIA Strat thats built in the USA. The neck is not the same as a Standard. Though it looks similiar, its a single Truss-Rod not dual. The electronics are CTS pots and the usual Switch which Fender upgraded his year. There's no Delta Tone, Ita a Greasebucket Circuit which is in effect two Capacitiors. The finish is another cost cutting factor. Also the TMs are not good on the HWY-1 and nothing like the Schaller's on the AS Strat.

So there's a bunch of cost effective cuts.

• Members

A few people mentioned the neck on the Hwy 1 being a little flimsy. It apparently has a different truss rod than the regular american series. How would this affect the longevity of the instrument.

I'm trying to decide between getting the Hwy and peforming some mods, or assembling a Warmoth guitar. If I get the H1 i'll get to play numerous guitars so I can get the one that feels right; may not look exactly how I want. With the warmoth, I'll get to choose all the parts and specs I want but I won't get to play it until I put it together. The warmoth will cost a little more but has the potential; on paper, to be a super bad ass guitar.

Torn!

• Members

Since they are all made within feet of each other, the distinction is rather pointless. The plant lies on the border between Mexico and the U.S.

Um, I don't think a 4 hour drive consitutes for "within feet of each other" and Rosarito is hardly on the border. Just because workers in both plants have the same nationality doesn't mean they are the same plant. I have yet to see a neck made in Mexico look like one made in America, so my point is VERY distinct. Theres a reason for the $600 difference between MIA and MIM standards, so I'm just trying to figure out why this particular axe is an exception.

• Members
Um, I don't think a 4 hour drive consitutes for "within feet of each other" and Rosarito is hardly on the border. Just because workers in both plants have the same nationality doesn't mean they are the same plant. I have yet to see a neck made in Mexico look like one made in America, so my point is VERY distinct. Theres a reason for the $600 difference between MIA and MIM standards, so I'm just trying to figure out why this particular axe is an exception.

I guess I was talking out my ass. I was under the impression that the factory was right on the border. Oh well, I stand corrected.:wave:

• Members

No worries Honky-Tonk! Like I said, I'm just realy curious about these H-1's and I'm trying to figure out if they are a really good deal, or if we're getting ripped off on American Standards. BTW, you should try crossing that border - it is MISERABLE trying to get back in to the states.

Archived