Hwy 1 strat

Honky-Tonk

• Members

I don't own a Hwy 1 strat, but I do own two strats, a MiM and a '74.

I have played many Hwy 1's though and I like them, very, very much. I like the "thin" finish. If I were to buy another strat, I would probably buy a Sunburst Hwy 1 over any other model in or around the $1000 range. I find them to be very solid feeling and seem to resonate well even when not plugged in.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The HW1 is the one MIA Fender I've been really tempted by in recent years (potentially with the exception of the '08 spec American Series). My GAS was killed by the inavailability of maple board on the left handed version (that's a dealbreaker for me - I have enough Fender types with rosewood). Great guitars, though. I really liked the mix of vintage and contemporary features, and the CBS-style cosmetics I always loved (me and pretty much everyone else who has ever gotten into Strats via Hendrix, I imagine!).

• Members
Coming from you that says a lot. Is your HWY-1 stock or have you Masonized it in some fashion?
:D

It is Masonized a bit, but all of mine are. I loved it in stock format, but I like Graphite nuts and saddles too. The pickups I left stock for a long time, but I decided to make my Standard 3 singles and switched the pickups around on the two guitars. So it has a JB Jr and Hot Noiseless in it now, but again... I loved it stock.

PS: The neck has darkened up a bit in the year I've had it. It was a very white maple.

DCP_1074.jpg

• Members
It is Masonized a bit, but all of mine are. I loved it in stock format, but I like Graphite nuts and saddles too. The pickups I left stock for a long time, but I decided to make my Standard 3 singles and switched the pickups around on the two guitars. So it has a JB Jr and Hot Noiseless in it now, but again... I loved it stock.

PS: The neck has darkened up a bit in the year I've had it. It was a very white maple.

Nice. The only things I'm tempted to replace on mine are the pickguard and the nut. However, I'm leaving the nut as is for a while to see if I can really tell if the 1mm difference in string spacing over my MIM makes any difference. So far I can't really tell any difference between the two.

• Members

I have one, it rocks. Totally. I love the flatter radius. I love the wider nut. I love that the 2nd tone is tied to the bridge pickup instead of the middle. And I absolutely LOVE the tone of the middle pickup!!

highwayone.jpg

And yeah, Atrox...what'd you do to get yours all shiny?! I wanna do that to mine!!

• Members

I really liked the mix of vintage and contemporary features, and the CBS-style cosmetics I always loved (me and pretty much everyone else who has ever gotten into Strats via Hendrix, I imagine!).

Despite my respect for Hendrix, I hated the CBS headstock -- and always avoided them -- until I got my Highway One. Since then, I've learned to like it.

I always preferred the warmer sound Jimi got from his pre-CBS rosewood boards, though.

• Members
I have one, it rocks. Totally. I love the flatter radius. I love the wider nut. I love that the 2nd tone is tied to the bridge pickup instead of the middle. And I absolutely LOVE the tone of the middle pickup!!

highwayone.jpg

And yeah, Atrox...what'd you do to get yours all shiny?! I wanna do that to mine!!

That looks badass with the black 'guard on there. :cool:

• Members

Yeah I pretty much want this guitar because I am a hendrix freak. Almost so, enough to want to buy the left hand version in black, and restring the thing so it can be played right handed. But I would look like a complete douche at a gig, so, no.

I went to the warmouth site to price an equivalent guitar. For around $1080 I could have exactly what I want. Don't know if I want to spend that much on yet another guitar, but damn, I bet it would be sweet! I could get two used Hwy 1s for that price though.

• Members

I have the first generation Highway One and I absolutely love it. It's my #1. I think I've had it since '03? '04?...Something like that. Anyway, I dropped a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless P/U's and have the wiring set-up like the EJ strat. Bone nut, Parchment pickguard for a more vintagey look, and had a refret done about 3 months ago with the Dunlop 6100 wire. These are great guitars to mod.

• Members

Wait, I'm confused (as usual). I thought the H-1's were made in Mexico with USA parts, but I see several references to being MIA. Maybe they are made in US, but with Mexican parts? If they are made in the US, how come they are so much cheaper than say, an American Standard?

• Members

Wait, I'm confused (as usual). I thought the H-1's were made in Mexico with USA parts, but I see several references to being MIA. Maybe they are made in US, but with Mexican parts? If they are made in the US, how come they are so much cheaper than say, an American Standard?

MIA with american parts. They use a vintage bridge, thin Nitro skin over poly undercoat, no buffing, pickups sound good, but are nothing special. The labor saved in not polishing is quite significant actually

• Members
MIA with american parts. They use a vintage bridge, thin Nitro skin over poly undercoat, no buffing, pickups sound good, but are nothing special. The labor saved in not polishing is quite significant actually

It must be, that is a significant discount in sale price from the American Standard. How about the necks, are they finished like a MIA, or a little rougher around the edges, like a neck MIM?

I really need to go play one of these, but man, I don't need to buy ANOTHER guitar right now. :rolleyes:

Archived