Hwy 1 strat

Honky-Tonk

• Members

I played a Hwy 1 strat at a local music shop today. :love:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Stratocaster?sku=512768

Just like the one pictured in the link but it had a maple board.

I haven't had GAS for almost three years but now I want one of these. Either the daphne blue one or the transparent wine red. I've only played one so I wonder about the consistency from one to the next but the only problem with the one I tried was the nut was pinching the b string.

Didn't plug it in for fear of having to take it home with me. But unplugged was fun to play. Felt good, resonated well.

Opinions? :poke:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They definitely sound good, but I don't really care for the dull satin finish. Also, I like glossy necks. On the plus side, they have those 70s-style headstocks which are pretty cool.

Anyway, I hear nothing but good things about them. My apprehensions are purely aesthetic.

• Members

I want to try a few different ones to see the potential of what I can get or if they are all pretty much the same build quality.

I like the thin nitro finish and big headstock features. Close to getting a vintage strat without the vintage price plus it has medium-jumbo stainless frets. I hated the old nickel wire frets that used to come on cheaper fenders.

• Members

I want to try a few different ones to see the potential of what I can get or if they are all pretty much the same build quality.

I like the thin nitro finish and big headstock features. Close to getting a vintage strat without the vintage price plus it has medium-jumbo stainless frets. I hated the old nickel wire frets that used to come on cheaper fenders.

just so you know its a thin later of nitro over poly.

• Members

I own two. Both the upgraded, 2nd gens. Honey Blonde/rosewood SSS, and a Wine red/rosewood HSS. Both play great. I own these two, an 88' american std strat with EMG SA's, a 95' strat plus, A MIM Robert Cray Strat. The highways are my favorite playing strats I own. They do sound good also, not as bright, but strat-y none the less. Stay in tune just fine and I do use the trem a little bit. I like the grease-bucket as it makes the bridge pickup much more versatile, but the bridge single coil isnt "too" bright to begin with. Its a bit darker and sweeter than say my Cray with Texas Specials. I like how the bridge has a dedicated tone control for this pickup. Again it adds to the guitars "jack of all trades" image. The Singles take overdrive and crunch very well too. Its the only guitar that I will played at highgain with a single coil in the bridge position.

• Members

Really? What is the point? Is the nitro just a clear coat over a poly color coat?

And how does the body look as the nitro finish wears off? (just gets shiny?)

I dont know i believe ATROX was the one who discovered this. i believe its a clear coat of poly and a color layer of nitro. dont let this stop you tho. If it sounded good before you knew there was poly under neath it will still sound just as good.

• Members

I dont know i believe ATROX was the one who discovered this. i believe its a clear coat of poly and a color layer of nitro. dont let this stop you tho. If it sounded good before you knew there was poly under neath it will still sound just as good.

I don't really prefer one over the other, I just thought it was cool to have a fender strat with a nitro finish that doesn't cost $1700+. My current strat has a poly finish and it resonates fine to me.

My VM Les Paul has a thin nitro finish; I swear it looks like they used Minwax. It's a fine instrument but I don't think its better because of the finish; except for the fact that I got a super awesome LP for under a grand because of it.

• Members

to be honest I really don't care for the pickups in those, I guess if the made in the USA thing is a big deal for you then I say yeah man get it, I would rather get something else personally, the Koa Strat for example, sweet pups, super nice fret board, birds eye neck, the thing is a sleeper, it's MIK but if someone told you it was MIA you would believe them, looks killer, tight construction and hey it's 50 bucks cheaper

• Members

to be honest I really don't care for the pickups in those, I guess if the made in the USA thing is a big deal for you then I say yeah man get it, I would rather get something else personally, the Koa Strat for example, sweet pups, super nice fret board, birds eye neck, the thing is a sleeper, it's MIK but if someone told you it was MIA you would believe them, looks killer, tight construction and hey it's 50 bucks cheaper

Its exactly what I want for a decent price.

Alder body, maple neck/board, big CBS headstock, medium-jumbo stainless frets. Would prefer a two point trem with vintage saddles but I tend to use the trem a lot less these days. If the pups suck I'll put in some new ones, but I have a couple nice tube amps that could probably make anything sound good.

• Members

I guess I could get a squire with a big headstock for about 1/3 the price, or just get a MIM strat without the big headstock and have pretty much the same thing. But I'm hoping that the hwy 1 body is fewer pieces of wood than a mexican fender or squier and that the neck will have no brown strips, knots, etc...

• Members

I have a 2004-05 HSS Highway One. It's my go-to guitar. Paid under $400 for it in February last year (back when they were still retailing for >$700). It was basically a neglected display item with only one real flaw -- a 5-inch rivet scrape on the back. I rescued it, set it up nicely, and gave it a good home. I've played better Strats, but not at the price I paid for that one.

Archived