Is 29 too old to start from the bottom?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the sad part is.. most people think getting signed to a major label means you get a bus vs. a van and a huge rockstar pad vs. a trashy apt.

It just doesn't work that way.

not anymore.

Its because the industry is still working hard on selling the rock star dream, to upcoming artists and the general population alike. Since most people are sheep, it works.

• Members

If one quits thinking about 'making it' and starts thinking about making the pursuit of music and becoming a journeyman player a lifelong process, he'll be a lot happier in life.

I heard this a million times when I was in my 20s, but now I realize how profound and true it is.

• Members

If one quits thinking about 'making it' and starts thinking about making the pursuit of music and becoming a journeyman player a lifelong process, he'll be a lot happier in life.

I heard this a million times when I was in my 20s, but now I realize how profound and true it is.

How true!

Reality finally hit me during my mid 20's

...and again my mid 30's. :D

• Members

I'm 30 and my partner's 47 and we're just starting!! Whenever I think about how "old" I am in this particular industry, I think (besides the fact I look about 23) that in the "old days", people weren't retired at 30. They were just starting out and becoming really famous. Stevie Nicks wasn't famous in Fleetwood Mac when she was 16, like so-called singers nowadays. She was in her late 20s. Grace Slick and the members of Jefferson Airplane, they were also in their mid-late 20s when they made it really big. So chill, man! It's all good!

• Members

If you think of even older times, look at the classical artists. One example comes to mind: Ralph Vaughan Williams' first big success was at age 38, and he was completing symphonies (popular ones, at that) well into his 70s and 80s. Although most composers in classical music start earlier, most produced well-received output until their death. It's not like their music output stopped when they hit 30, as the industry seems to believe these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Stevie Nicks wasn't famous in Fleetwood Mac when she was 16, like so-called singers nowadays.

True enough, but she wasn't just starting out, either. I believe she was with Lindsey Buckingham opening for Hendrix and Joplin in 1968 when she was about 20, and they signed with Polydor records when she was about 23 or so.

29 is not too late gain success, but the question was (as I understood it) is: is it too old to get started? The answer is no, it's never too late, and anything may be possible, but given that success in the rock music business for most people is a long term proposition, the chances of achieving it are much lower than had the OP gotten a 10 year head start. Though there are exceptions, most 'new' stars have been around for some time before becoming overnight sensations.

One can make a living playing music at any age, if they are willing to make compromises, but that is quite a separate thing from 'making it' in rock music.

• Members

Yes indeed, Stevie was definitely working as a musician. She and Lindsey were in the band Fritz early on and then formed Buckingham Nicks and did open for Janis and I think Jimi perhaps also. They made one album as Buckingham Nicks which was released but didn’t do much. I think that’s a shame. I have the album and love it. Anyway, so they were working hard and doing stuff, but Stevie’s said several times how if Fleetwood Mac hadn’t accepted them when they did, she was going to have to give up and basically go back home to her family cause they were completely broke.

I am aware the question was is it too old to get STARTED, yes. I think my answer was a bit off centre there in that regard, but I guess that’s because to me, anything can happen. If you’ve been working around the outskirts of the industry or nowhere near it for 20 years and then suddenly people discover you when you’re 50, goodo. If you’ve done absolutely nothing until you’re 50, also goodo. Anything can happen.

• Members

and BlueStrat once again shows everyone the ways of The Force...I couldnt agree more

besides, "Success" is how one measures it.....guys can stay on a local or regional level, doing what they love to do, without having to bother with the prospects of dreams. Other people measure success just by having material available, whether or not they sell any units or not (Im happy to say that I have purchased copies of both T. Alan's work and BlueStrats :D ).......

If one is thinking a 'measured bit of fame' as success, well, the best part about the much debated "New Business Model" is that it, at least, offers old ugly fartz like me a chance to get my music to the masses that a person my age (over 40) would have rarely enjoyed 20 years ago under the (general) corporate umbrella

• Members

Dude! Just go for it. In my view 29 is not too old. Start playing covers and slowly inject originals into the mix. Forming a band is a painfully slow process in a lot of cases, but you have to pay your dues and start somewhere.

People always like to hear good enjoyable covers (even if you don't like playing them), I myself don't like playing covers a whole lot but I know for a fact that a lot of successful bands started out playing covers. For example: Nickelback, Led Zeppelin. It would certainly help if you could add your own spin to the covers.

Bottom Line - Don't let go of the dream!!!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

wow...I know this is probably a late of a reply.

But I've just found this topic by accident when I'm browsing through google, asking the same question (I just turned 28 last August).

And I've seen some excellent comments & replies here, that even motivates me hell lot.

yeah like the OP, sometimes I wonder too, how come some musicians/artists can or even often have this "too old" doubts & wandering questions in their minds when they're still like in mid to late 20's... then it hits upon me that, apart from the well-known 'so youthful' image portrayed constantly by mainstream TV & media that have already 'distorted' many 'pure' musicians/artists' minds (ie: got brainwashed?), there's also another main important factor IMO, and that is: the mainstream society's notion of "grow up, and get REAL!", and by get REAL, they mean get a REAL job, as opposed to "having FUN" as often is the label for musicians, creative jobs. If only they knew that although it's certainly FUN (hey,..and that's exactly why we all love to be musicians right? a damn coolest job in the world! lol :D ), but it's also a hell lot of HARD works!

it's bull craps if one said that all musician do is just happily strumming their guitar/instrument, and NOTHING else!

But seriously, I like the attitudes and answers from people here in this forum:

you guys basically just reject and even perhaps CHALLENGE back those 'silly' notions from mainstream society, and media.

and I'm just so happy to read that some of you the much older musicians have even MADE it, in terms of having selling ur records, having loyal fanbases, etc. and isn't that all enough to make us happy?...

I think the 'problems' truly emerges out when a 29-yr old musician is wanting so much to become the "next Beatles" , or something like that.

I like very much that one quote earlier in the first few pages that if we (as musicians) try to treat music as simply voicing our soul, and as a lifelong process/journey, then we'll generally get much HAPPIER, than if we were to fix & focus our thoughts and mind to become that "next Beatles/legend" or something.

I honestly admit that I used to (& sometimes STILL) fall into this 'the next legend' kind of thinking, partly because there're many people who have stroke my ego in saying that all my music compositions are very brilliant, unique, and original (even coming from the pros' opinions!).

but the fact of the matter is: here I am, still basically struggling to "make it" FULL-time in doing what I really love: Music, while I just recently had enough and quit my 7-years family business (I'm Indonesian-Chinese, live in Indonesia), which usually regarded as a SHAME thing to do.

Blame me, but as older as I get, strangely, the more louder my heart & soul scream for these three things: Music, traveling, and freedom.

I don't think I could (at least for NOW) yield to the "normal" kind of life even here in Indonesia's mainstream society notions ie: get married, have a stable high-paying job, get a house, have kids/babies, then work, work, and so on and so on.

Somehow,...as I got older, I even want to ever MORE 'reconnect' with the younger generations, as I see and 'feel' that they're much more creative and interesting, than the boring "grown up/mature" people of my age (no offense though) :D

I'm currently working on my own music project, and thinking of bringing it to overseas market (my songs will all use english). so I don't know...we'll see.

"it's never fun at the end of our lives to say we have lived the dreams of others" - Joe Jahn

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail" ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Some people say before you die your life flashes before your eyes, make it worth watching "

"Life is as happy and meaningful as you make it."

• Members

29 is 10 years younger then me and if you started hard now in 2 years you could be touring selling albums and having a nice small little career. If you work hard, have some talent and continue to evolve you could do quite well. {censored}ing go for it man!

Archived