Who Packs Their Guitars Like This?

Joranges

• Members

Well, I thought about quoting the guy but he's using a photobucket account and I wouldn't want to be hot-linking him and using up his bandwidth. (But if you wanna see the original thread on another forum, it's at the bottom of this post) :o

Basically:

1) Hardshell case

2) Bubble wrap the headstock

3) Bubble wrap the body

4) Styrofoam the bottom of the box

5) Extremely thick layer of bubble wrap (that I'm imagining about wrapping myself and rolling down a hill in) all over the case

6) More styrofoam for the box

7) Fill 'er up with packing popcorn/peanuts

(The only things I can think of he's missed is double boxing and delivering the guitar himself)

I do 1-3, 7 and that's about it.

And from my record of ordering (used) guitars, I've yet to encounter someone that's done all that work. :o

[source: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=349596]

• Members

I don't know who, but that's a guy whom I would not have qualms about dealing with on E-bay. Although I will say my Predator was bubble wrapped and newspapered to hell when I got it. As was my OD-3 actually. Guess I'm really lucky.

• Members

I do all of that, unless the buyer doesn't buy or I don't have a case. In that case I just add another 2-3 layers of bubble wrap, and then I be sure to double box. I also cut the front and back from an additional box and slide inside the outer box.

OCD's a bitch

• Members

Actually, I just did exactly that on my last guitar sale on ebay.

Except I used wadded up bubble wrap instead of peanuts to pack around the hardcase. Sometimes the peanuts shift around unless you really pack it in.

I figure the cost of the packing material is a few bucks at best but a busted guitar and the hassle that it ensues is not worth saving a few bucks.

Plus, I know how I would feel if I received a guitar and it was busted as a result of poor packing. I figure what goes around, comes around.

• Members

That sounds like how I pack gear. I have all the stuff I need in our parts department at work... it's free if nobody else gets it first ;) You will usually get stuff from me in "MOPAR" boxes :D

I even ship pedals that way.

Pedal packing:

1) wrap in acid-free paper

2) wrap in bubble wrap

3) line box with padding and insert pedal in the middle

4) fill the rest of the box with said padding

5) tape judiciously

The "padding" is either wadded bubble wrap or packing peanuts, it depends on which can be had more easily.

I only ship USPS Priority Mail...

• Members

I loosen strings too.

It's interesting... Reading the Ric forums, they say you should never ship a Ric with loosened strings.

The neck was built for the tension. So if they're loose for too long, the neck could warp.

Now I'm not sure if that's for Ric's specifically, or if that can and should be applied for all guitars.

• Members

Peanuts suck. They shift and let the item get next to the side of the box.

Whatever you do, OVER pack the box. Stuff it OVER full.

Bad advice.. Unless you have a really strong box. Thick, thick cardboard (which I guess most guitar boxes are).

But over-packing a box to be shipped is a bad idea. Stuff them so it's tight, but not bulging.

• Members

If I'd deliver a guitar myself I wouldn't go through that trouble. In the hardcase in the back of the car or in the trunk.

And damn that coat of bubble wrap around the case is thick :p

For people who are too lazy to go the the site :

DSCN0053.jpg

There's a case with a guitar inside there!

• Members

If I'd deliver a guitar myself I wouldn't go through that trouble. In the hardcase in the back of the car or in the trunk.

And damn that coat of bubble wrap around the case is thick
:p

DSCN0053.jpg

Wow thats well packed, be that guitar will get their fine, but does seem a little bit OTT to me.

• Members

And damn that coat of bubble wrap around the case is thick
:p

DSCN0053.jpg

Now THATS WHAT I"M TALKIN' BOUT!!:cop:

• Members

I do most of it, but the headstock and body thing wouldn't work for most of the cases I have, just no room in there. I usually wrap the case in some packing paper so that it doesn't get scratched, tape some styrofoam or other thick padding on the ends and a small piece on the front and back and then use peanuts and overfill it a bit. It ain't going to move and unless they run it over nothing will happen to it. I did 6 guitars like that this year and not one problem.

Only thing that I do that is really different is I cut the boxes to fit better and instead of just taping it I use hotglue to seal the crap out of it. Its probably a bit of a pain to open, but you know that it was packed well.

Archived