Overall best cheap brand

DarkHorseJ27

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I own two Squier '51s...

I love 'em both, and one is my practice/rehearsal guitar. Squier makes a fine product - significantly better than entry-level guitars that were available 20-25 years ago.

I mean, come on: the '51's were selling for $69 at Guitar Center, and Overstock had them on sale for under $50...and the neck, bodies and humbucker pickup were all absolutely fine.

With a modest investment, they can be turned into a serious, gig-ready instrument.

A '51 for $47 at Overstock has to be the best guitar deal of the last four decades, in my opinion.

• Members

Anything below the 300 series are complete garbage. And for the price of those, you could get a nice agile or xaviere.

Not entirely true, I have a EC-50 that i bought for laughs and find it to be a very well put together guitar. Tuners are decent enough to hold it in tune, no sharp frets, and pups weren't half bad either..you may consider them "garbage", but as with ANY cheap guitar, youre bound to find a few lemons:poke:

• Members

I think Squire and Epiphone, both make GREAT products.

Me too

Though Agile has some nice offerings too.

I can't say anything about the others though as I've not tried them.

EVERY Squire I've had has needed the input jack replaced.

I've never had any problems with any Epi.

I've had many managable "problems" with the otherwise excellent Agiles.

My Fenders are bullet proff and almost never need anything save a semi-annual truss rod tweak.

My Gibsons are maintianence whores that constaantly need attersion but are oh-so-worth the time.

• Members

OTHO, my Epi Dot Studio is a very good guitar for $199 I got it for. Neck
is nice and chunky, frets are good and the Epi vintage Alnico V PUPs sound
good, though the bridge is a bit hot. Again, the plastic nut sucks. How come
Agile can put bone on their strat copies, graphite on their LP copies, but Epi
and Squier give you a cheap ass plastic nut?

• Members

How come

Agile can put bone on their strat copies, graphite on their LP copies, but Epi

and Squier give you a cheap ass plastic nut?

because they suck for one and I don't know if you know this but Gibson Les Pauls are plastic nuts too!! Not Bone!!

Having the ability to view all the specifications on the Agile guitars before buying was the reason I started buying them. then the AL2000 hit my house and it's just a GREAT guitar.

• Members

because they suck for one and I don't know if you know this but Gibson Les Pauls are plastic nuts too!! Not Bone!!

R U serious?!? That's disgraceful. Pay $1500-2000 for a quality guitar and

get a POS plastic nut? Jeez, you'd think Gibson would spring for graphite or

something. Learn something new every day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've had my agile for about 4 years now and love it. It was the only guitar I had that I kept when I sold off all of my guitars to pay the bills. I paid $309 for it and have no regrets whatsoever. It is beautiful in appearance and plays amazingly well. I actually just ordered a PS924WE in Tribal green recently but have to wait for it to arrive as there were none in stock. Takes 3-4 months to order.

Also agile is now doing custom orders. I dont just mean pickups and clors either. I'm talking custom paint jobs, wood selections, Neck through... Pretty much, you name it. Some pics:

dsc00478pp1.jpg
P1000768.jpg
P1000771.jpg

The red guitar was a set neck. The guy custom ordered it as a neck through.

• Members

I have never tried any of the guitars listed except the Squires and they are making those better then they have in a long time. I just picked up one of the Squire Affinity Butterscotch blonde Teles about a month ago for 170 bucks new and I am really happy with the way it is put together. I mean just the three piece alder body and maple neck made it worth while for the money.

Archived