So what's the biggest stack I could realistically run in my house with neighbors?

elsupermanny14

• Members

So I asked to see how many of you guys run your stacks and how many of you use attenuators. I found out not many of you guys use attenuators and not many of you guys crank your stacks lol. I know that if I had like a 100watt head coming out of a 4x12 I'd never get to even enjoy the potention of my amp. So I'm wondering what would be the biggest stack that I could get away with at home while having neighbors on all sides around me?

I'm curious because I'm saving up for a new amp. It'll take a while but I'm sure I'll have it by the end of this comeing summer. Anyways I'm torn. I have a 4x12 cabinet but no amp. I was thinking of just saving up and buying a 50watt Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier or selling the cab and saving up for an Orange Rocker 30 with a matching 2x12 Orange cab.

I understand that the volume difference between 30 and 50 watts is negligable, but 30 watts coming out of 2x12 might not be as loud as 50 coming out a 4x12? Anways can I get away with a 30 watt 2x12 or will it not make a difference?

go out and try a Smokey amp paired with a 2x12. all of 1/2 watt, and it'll get you evicted no problem.

a stack for home practice is for all intents and purposes just a jar of dick-enlargement pills thats been placed into a couple tolex covered boxes.

neither will make you any bigger, but if you just go buy the pills instead, you;ll have more $ left over for say, a nicer guitar.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
so are you guys saying you record and play live with different amps?

dude, its the easiest, and most logical, way to justify an amp collection ;)

in general, following a 'right tool for the job' thing works well. while a 100w stack can be used for a situation that a half-watt amp and 6" spkr would suffice in, its kinda like using an 18-wheeler to go down the hall to the bathroom.

• Members

Here is what i have in my house in my suburban neighborhood -- and my doom band practices in my house in the room (in the front of the house I might add as well). This is all my gear, my bass player has a Mesa full stack.

Marshall DSL100 half stack, Orange Rockverb 50 2x12 combo, Marshal VS100 combo, Ampeg SVT350H Half stack (4x10). I play through the DSL and Rockverb when we rehearse. I don't really crank it to its full glory though, my house would fall apart:

marshall-orange-marshall-ampeg.jpg

• Members
dude, its the easiest, and most logical, way to justify an amp
collection
;)

:thu: Yes Yes Yes! :cool:

I have 3 amps that cover a lot of bases. Silverface Champ for practice and recording, Deluxe Reverb Reissue for practice/smaller gigs with drums, Fender Super-Sonic for getting LOUD.

That's about as much as I can justify to my wife right now. Anything else would be tough.

• Members

I'm not trying to thread jack, but wouldn't doing that destroy the continuity between live and recorded sound? (unless perhaps you got a low-watt version of your larger amp or vice versa)

Personally I like when the band sounds like they do on the album.

• Members

not me i like when the album sounds like the band.

but i digress... stacks are uncalled for in most instances nowadays. if you're playing a small club you don't need that much volume. if you're playing a big club they're gonna mic you through the house system. no need for anything over 50 watts (probably no need for anything over 20 watts) and one or two 12s.

100 watts and 4 or 8 12s is a penis implant.

i gig and record with my carvin bel aire (50 watts, 2x12s) and sometimes i record with a 13 watt (approx.) 1x12 gibson scout. they are the only 2 amps i need.

• Members

not me i like when the album sounds like the band.

but i digress... stacks are uncalled for in most instances nowadays. if you're playing a small club you don't need that much volume. if you're playing a big club they're gonna mic you through the house system. no need for anything over 50 watts (probably no need for anything over 20 watts) and one or two 12s.

100 watts and 4 or 8 12s is a penis implant.

i gig and record with my carvin bel aire (50 watts, 2x12s) and sometimes i record with a 13 watt (approx.) 1x12 gibson scout. they are the only 2 amps i need.

Depends on what the audience is looking for, what type of music you play, and the over all vibe/atmosphere you want. I play ultra heavy music that is very loud - not this modern style metal, think more like a modern version of Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly or Black Sabbath. The music need to engulf the audience. Some places we play don't have a PA except for vocals. The amps need to be loud. A 50 watt amp through a 2x12 barely cuts it and 4x12 is much better. Directionally with a 2x12, it pushes the air one way, its not expansive enough. I've seen bands try it at the place I'm thinking of, doesn't work great. On the other hand, I've seen bands with full stacks in the place and its overkill, way too much. A 4x12 seems to work best.

• Members

also a drummer is a concern as well.

The music I play is fast and aggressive therefore my drummer ends up playing pretty hard and loud. If I played through a 1 x 12 I really doubt I would be able to hear it. 2 x 12 maybe, but I'd rather not push my amp/speakers at their limits.

• Members

I'm not trying to thread jack, but wouldn't doing that destroy the continuity between live and recorded sound? (unless perhaps you got a low-watt version of your larger amp or vice versa)

The easiest way to sound like you do on the album is not to run your live sound through a bunch of big-ass stacks, since hardly anyone runs a big-ass stack in the studio.

• Members

also a drummer is a concern as well.

The music I play is fast and aggressive therefore my drummer ends up playing pretty hard and loud. If I played through a 1 x 12 I really doubt I would be able to hear it. 2 x 12 maybe, but I'd rather not push my amp/speakers at their limits.

I would be seriously impressed to see a 2 x 12 or smaller with a 50 watt be loud enough to play with my drummer without being pushed pass 1 o'clock on the master.

Different needs for different styles.

• Members

I would be seriously impressed to see a 2 x 12 or smaller with a 50 watt be loud enough to play with my drummer without being pushed pass 1 o'clock on the master.

no offense man. i don't know you're drummer but i've heard quite a few and i don't know that i've ever heard a drummer that was so loud that he could drowned out a dimmed 50 watt 2x12. 50 watts into 2x12s is extremely loud. loud to the point of being painful. now you probably wouldn't get a super clean sound at that point but loud enough to keep up with the loudest drummer... yeah, i think so. i could be wrong but i don't think i am.

besides that we talk all of the time on here about how pushing power tubes into distortion is where all of the magic in a tube amp is. why wouldn't you want to push the amp as hard as possible?

• Members

The easiest way to sound like you do on the album is not to run your live sound through a bunch of big-ass stacks, since hardly anyone runs a big-ass stack in the studio.

again, i'm of the mind that it is more important for the album to sound like the band than for the band to sound like the album. the band > the album. in other words i agree that you don't need a big ass stack in the studio but you also probably don't need one on stage either.

• Members

Its less about the tubs and more about the cab I guess. Obvious 4 speakers can handle a lot more wattage than 2.

Personally I i try to stay away from diming the master. Or diming much of anything for that matter. I've seen so many tubes and amps get fried I guess I'm just jaded.

Perhaps its just the 2 x 12s I've played out of so far. But the fenders and what not that other guitarists have brought over haven't really done it for me.

Or maybe I just have to compensate for my small dick.:idea:

• Members
Its less about the tubs and more about the cab I guess. Obvious 4 speakers can handle a lot more wattage than 2.

Personally I i try to stay away from diming the master. Or diming much of anything for that matter. I've seen so many tubes and amps get fried I guess I'm just jaded.

Perhaps its just the 2 x 12s I've played out of so far. But the fenders and what not that other guitarists have brought over haven't really done it for me.

Or maybe I just have to compensate for my small dick.
:idea:

well, you did say that you played a fast and aggressive form of music so i would submit that maybe fender amps wouldn't have really suited that style in the first place. if you don't like fender amps that's one thing but to assume that there aren't any 50 watt 2x12 tube amps that can keep up with your drummer... well, that's just not right.

if you've chosen your speakers carefully you shouldn't have to worry about blowing them as long as the amp is well matched to them and a well designed amp should have no problem operating at full tilt without fail. i have a 1964 gibson scout that i routinely run at full throttle and it has never failed and i wouldn't expect that it would.

nobody is insinuating that you have a small dick (ok, that's not true. i did make the insinuation about people and the size of their "stacks" but it was purely in jest). it just seems to me that being a club player and playing a full stack is akin to owning a ferrari enzo that you use to drive back and forth to work. i can completely understand that if you're going for a "look" that's the way to go but to say that you need that much power to drive back and forth to work or play a club... well... i think you might just be fooling yourself. again, this is all purely my opinion. i could be wrong.

• Members

Yeah, the majority of all music is recorded with 5-25 watt amps turned up all the way, leaning toward the lower wattage. Except for "teh br00talz" metal music where good tone isn't desireable.

Are you serious?

I am curious. Is most music (non-metal) recorded with low wattage amps in the 5-25 watt range? That would make sense as you can crank it.

Archived