So what's the biggest stack I could realistically run in my house with neighbors?

elsupermanny14

• Members
Are you serious?

I am curious. Is most music (non-metal) recorded with low wattage amps in the 5-25 watt range? That would make sense as you can crank it.

Well... any engineer worth his salt would never allow a guitarist to record a high wattage amp. It'll fry the good mics... if using a condensor to record cabs, it cannot handle the high volumes associated with a cranked high wattage tube amp... distorted mic syndrome. Even good dynamic mics usually can't handle anything more than 100-120 dB well...

Most of the good recorded guitar tones come from low wattage amps cranked up. OR, a nice guitar preamp straight into the mix... :eek:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lolololol!!!!!

Get yourself a 1/2 watt Gilmore Jr, plug it into a really good 1X12 0r 2X12. turn it all the way up and play to your hearts content!

I gay-ron-tee... The next day you will be looking for a new place to live. :wave:

My Modded Pignose 60 watt is currently tubed down to 1/2 output (About 20 real watts.) and there is no way I can crank it up and play in the same room. My 70's era Peavy "Artist" 125 Watt 1X12 with two power tubes removed is even louder.

THATS why I building a Noisy Cricket 1/2 watt battery powered amp this week and a Gilmore Jr next week. My full sized amps will be reserved for gigging only.

You siwwy wabbits!!! Stacks is for KIDS! :thu:

Mymindsok

• Members

I'm curious because I'm saving up for a new amp. It'll take a while but I'm sure I'll have it by the end of this comeing summer. Anyways I'm torn. I have a 4x12 cabinet but no amp. I was thinking of just saving up and buying a 50watt Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier or selling the cab and saving up for an Orange Rocker 30 with a matching 2x12 Orange cab.

I understand that the volume difference between 30 and 50 watts is negligable, but 30 watts coming out of 2x12 might not be as loud as 50 coming out a 4x12? Anways can I get away with a 30 watt 2x12 or will it not make a difference?

I had the aforementioned Single Recto 50W running into a Mesa 1x12" as my only amp for awhile. You could easily run it at home without disturbing any one during sane hours by using the master volumes, so it was nice to have something that I could gig with and play at home. But it was even too loud with the band - I could never really crank it. And it was a pretty muddy amp so it never sat in a mix well. I downsized to a 22W Deluxe Reverb which I still have to run at between 1-2 in the house (which is fine, I play clean alot) but fits perfectly in a band mix.

Bottom line, you can run any size amp in your house but if you want full access of its volume knob you're looking at 5W tube, tops. That being said, bigger amps still work and if you can only have one amp between gigging and practice that's the way to go...but even then 100W is overkill for gigging where 20-30W is fine.

Archived