Autotuned billy joel on national anthem

d. gauss

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wife was like Autotune after the first sentence.....and I just looked at her and shook my head in disgust........IMO You don't have a vocal stylist sing the national anthem, you get a pure singer...but if you do go with the vocal stylist you sure don't add auto tune??!@!!? You let them do it there way.... Bob Seger at the W.S. was another odd choice for me. But at least they didn't auto tune him to death.

• Members

You can see the ATR unit on the left side of the keys up top. He adjusts something before he starts to play. At about the 51 second mark you get a quick glimps of the face of the unit. If that's the case, then he knew they were using pitch correction on him.

• Members

Does it really matter if he was off notes/key? This is why today's music is so robotic, it's become forensic science, a guy sings a song, we take the perfromance and open it up like a pathalogist looking for cause of death.

Uh, just to let you know, they're discussing the AutoTune device on Billy Joel, a device that can make vocals sound robotic, as they did with Billy Joel's Super Bowl performance. He was off-key, which makes the device kick in - and it sound very abnormal.

• Members

that sounded aweful and somehow i bet if autotune wasn't turned on it would have sounded much better even with a few flat or sharp notes. Are you guys sure they didn't send the processed signal to his monitors causing him to sing even worse then he would have otherwise? I know most know you shiould never send the autotune to the monitors but you know some of the retards who run sound these days. Anyone remember the stones mix for example?

• Members

You can see the ATR unit on the left side of the keys up top. He adjusts something before he starts to play. At about the 51 second mark you get a quick glimps of the face of the unit. If that's the case, then he knew they were using pitch correction on him.

yep. i saw that too.

• Members

Uh, just to let you know, they're discussing the AutoTune device on Billy Joel, a device that can make vocals sound robotic, as they did with Billy Joel's Super Bowl performance. He was off-key, which makes the device kick in - and it sound very abnormal.

I know what Auto-tune is, very familiar with this devise but lets look at it this way, the people who set up the performance would have not used auto-tune if they were not looking for perfection. All in all it's the same thing, the device is used to fix pitch/notes, why not leave it natrual and let the human factor play out.

Audioicon

• Members

The superbowl is not just for professional musicians and sound guys who tear most anything apart, it's for everybody. IMO, 99% of the people who heard it enjoyed it. Was it perfect? No. Pitch correction? Sounds like it. Did I enjoy it, absolutely! I even liked what Price did in the pouring rain.

Sometimes I need to work to enjoy musical performances and not be so analitcal.

• Members

I know what Auto-tune is, very familiar with this devise but lets look at it this way, the people who set up the performance would have not used auto-tune if they were not looking for perfection. All in all it's the same thing, the device is used to fix pitch/notes, why not leave it natrual and let the human factor play out.

Audioicon

Right, that's kind of what they were discussing.

• Members

I watched this several times and it's impossible to tell what it is, however it's extremely unlikely the ATR unit would be there. Since Billy uses a midi piano, that's most likely the midi module for that. He probably hit a few notes to get his pitch, but the input was muted (as it would be right until he was to perform) so he instinctly reached over and turned it up.

AN ATR unit would have been on an insert in the broadcast truck.

In addition, no way that send would have been going to his monitors, that would simply throw him off more. Also, I seriously doubt Billy would condone the use of it anyway.

• Members

I watched this several times and it's impossible to tell what it is, however it's extremely unlikely the ATR unit would be there. Since Billy uses a midi piano, that's most likely the midi module for that. He probably hit a few notes to get his pitch, but the input was muted (as it would be right until he was to perform) so he instinctly reached over and turned it up.

AN ATR unit would have been on an insert in the broadcast truck.

In addition, no way that send would have been going to his monitors, that would simply throw him off more. Also, I seriously doubt Billy would condone the use of it anyway.

you're joking right? it was autotune. and to even be there, it would be REQUESTED per billy joel's contract rider. hopefully his rider will show up on the smokinggun.com :)

• Members

the folks at antares probably won't use this video for promoting their live autotune processer(if thats what was used) since it unfortunatly for them shows what a worthless peice of {censored} it is. maybe it wouldn't have been as bad if used at subtler settings but comeon it really made his voice sound like {censored} regardless.

• Members

well, just my view, and im not a yank, but that was one of the best versions of your anthem i have heard..open and honest , thats what came across to me....mind you huge fan of bj, so anything he does is good to me
;)
dennis

open and honest is exactly what it is NOT

• Members

open and honest is exactly what it is NOT

well, without wanting to get too involved in this, i would REALLY like to see and hear any one of you arm-chair experts get out in front of the tens of thousands of people, have a mix that was set up totally for a vocal lead, ie no covering the singers bad stuff with really loud instruments, and do a better job!!

Phil, if you come back here... please splain to me... are you listening to this clip --
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wuqIgTfmPr8
? You are saying that there are notes that are shifted to 1/2 step flat from the known melody? What word in the lyric? Sounds like the melody to me.

Mind you, I have never used auto-tune; I just read you guys bash it in threads. His rendition sounds okay to me. Nothing at all like that Cher thing to my ears.

Okay, let's see... listening only on my el cheapo, $10 computer speakers:

00:31 "...can you SEE, BY..." The words "see" and "by" glitch.

00:39 "...what so PROUDLY WE HAIL" Again, glitches.

00:48 "who's BROAD stripes..." The word "broad" is 1/2 step flat. Compare the melody of this line to the first one ("Oh say can you see"); except for the glitch on the word "see", the first line is melodically "correct".

00:51 "...stars" goes wacky.

Shall I continue? I'd really rather not... :( it's kinda depressing, and I don't enjoy tearing people apart unless I'm getting paid to do so in the studio. ;)

Now, giving BJ the benefit of the doubt, he might not have been aware of the AT... I have no way of knowing either way. And it's possible he was intentionally taking a bit of a bluesey approach to the melody - nothing overblown or disrespectful of the Anthem, but "Auto mode" (the only thing you can use live with autotune) doesn't work well with that style of singing at all; especially if the pitch correction time and "choosy" parameters are set too fast.

Finally, a bit of a disclaimer: I own, and use Autotune fairly frequently... but I use the "graphic mode" almost exclusively, and as I do with my edits, I take great pains to make sure that *I* can't hear it "working" (or hear where I did my splices) on the track when I have it solo'ed out... I figure if I can't hear it when it's soloed out, and can't hear it in the mix, chances are that no one else will either - and IMHO, that's the goal.

I do NOT go around "bashing autotune in threads". I bash the misuse of autotune in threads. There's a significant diference IMHO. :wave:

• Members

I believe he did it so a dance remix of it can be easily made... :)

That being said I do use Auto Tune in graphical mode only to save the few bum notes that would otherwise mean several more takes and a lot of time and energy. But I never use auto mode.

• Members

well, without wanting to get too involved in this, i would REALLY like to see and hear any one of you arm-chair experts get out in front of the tens of thousands of people, have a mix that was set up totally for a vocal lead, ie no covering the singers bad stuff with really loud instruments, and do a better job!!

i would do a horrible job, because i'm not a singer. i'm not criticizing billy joel though, i'm criticizing the use of the autotune hardware. i'd have much rather him gone out there and sing it and get off pitch, but at least sound like billy joel, rather than that robotic amateur suckfest.

• Members

fwiw, in reply to phil o'keefe, i believe it should never be used at all..if the singer aint good enough, well then they aint good enough, dont matter if they are pretty or buff and the record company wants to market the sh*t out of them...give the gig to someone who can sing, not pretend to....in the case of bj, i think you may be right and he was doing a bit of a bluesy thing, and maybe, just maybe the studio room people decided THEY didn't like it and then used the autotune...in which case i refer to my opening statement.....(btw isn't there a 6 second delay time, or something like that, on all live stuff in the states?)

• Members

i would do a horrible job, because i'm not a singer. i'm not criticizing billy joel though, i'm criticizing the use of the autotune hardware. i'd have much rather him gone out there and sing it and get off pitch, but at least sound like billy joel, rather than that robotic amateur suckfest.

agree!!

• Members

No problem, here. :wave:

• Members

fwiw, in reply to phil o'keefe, i believe it should never be used at all..if the singer aint good enough, well then they aint good enough, dont matter if they are pretty or buff and the record company wants to market the sh*t out of them...give the gig to someone who can sing, not pretend to....in the case of bj, i think you may be right and he was doing a bit of a bluesy thing, and maybe, just maybe the studio room people decided THEY didn't like it and then used the autotune...in which case i refer to my opening statement.....(btw isn't there a 6 second delay time, or something like that, on all live stuff in the states?)

Look...he was autotuned...it wasn't set correctly, and he sounded like a robotic idiot...deal with it. :freak:

And what does a broadcast delay have to do with anything? ...you're just grasping at straws.

Archived