Super Bowl - Prince !

Gus Lozada

• Moderators
I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but he didn't play any-of his-or-other songs thru to the end, like all along the watchtower, why do you say this is great, I'm miffed by the thoughts here and I really don't think I'm being that harsh, this is probably a good place to just shut-up.
:idea:

You're just completely wrong, that's all. You might not like it... cool. But if you fail to see the complete mastery he has of his craft and art then you should get into bowling or something... with all due respect.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're just completely wrong, that's all. You might not like it... cool. But if you fail to see the complete mastery he has of his craft and art then you should get into bowling or something... with all due respect.

+1000000 ...maybe music just isn't your bag, 2180. :(

• Members

Jesus Christ man, if you want to see true mastery, just look at Hendrix @ Woodstock. Assless pants has nothing on Hendrix or even Alvin Lee for that matter. The last dude I saw that was even close to Hendrix was Richie Blackmore, but that was just guitar, I must live in a lost world.

• Members

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but he didn't play any-of his-or-other songs thru to the end, like all along the watchtower, why do you say this is great, I'm miffed by the thoughts here and I really don't think I'm being that harsh, this is probably a good place to just shut-up.
:idea:

Have you been smoking dick hairs? You must be deaf and blind, as well as partially mentally challenged. Loosen your helmet and go grab a snack pack and a juice box...The Wiggles are on cable somewhere. Find them. They are more your speed musically (no offense to the Wiggles)

• Moderators

Jesus Christ man, if you want to see true mastery, just look at Hendrix @ Woodstock.

I agree! Hendrix was great. Now for a second imagine Jimi were alive and saw that performance tonight... what would he think? I suspect you believe he wouldn't have liked it... but trust me, Jimi would have been grinning the whole time. Jimi knew the real stuff.

• Members
Have you been smoking dick hairs? You must be deaf and blind, as well as partially mentally challenged. Loosen your helmet and go grab a snack pack and a juice box...The Wiggles are on cable somewhere. Find them. They are more your speed musically (no offense to the Wiggles)

No-I'm not mentally challenged, I'm in the top 99% of the human race when it comes to thinking, why don't you grow a dick, asshole. You must be dumb and deaf, that fag is a total {censored} hack as far as I'm concerned.:wave:

• Members

Funny, I like his look (without the babushka) and showmanship, but I wouldn't buy his music or purchase a ticket to attend a concert of his. I think Purple Rain is mediocre at best and the girl almost-touchy-thing is a silly contemporary compromise. Leave that shtick with David Copperfield.

• Members

I was one of the people not happy that Prince was going to perform at the Super Bowl. But I don't like football so I don't care, never watched.

Prince is very selfish and self centered, I don't think this forum Harmony Central would exist if the people in here had the "Prince Mentality.

I'm not going to comment on his performance because I did not watch the show. Personally I think Prince is a great artist but the fact that he builds this "Berlin wall" around his career and music makes me question his attitude as a musician.

Like I've always said, I hate propriety and Prince is another proprietary artist!
Personally his recent work "IMMUO" stands for in my minority unsolicited opinion, sounds like garbage compare to older songs. He always comes out with these secret prodigy that gets no where and later dropped from their labels, what's up with that?

Audioicon

• Members

I was one of the people not happy that Prince was going to perform at the Super Bowl. But I don't like football so I don't care, never watched.

Prince is very selfish and self centered, I don't think this forum Harmony Central would exist if the people in here had the "Prince Mentality.

I'm not going to comment on his performance because I did not watch the show. Personally I think Prince is a great artist but the fact that he builds this "Berlin wall" around his career and music makes me question his attitude as a musician.

Selfish and self centered? Aren't most artists? I know I am. I can be a complete asshole when it comes to my music, and that's what it's all about...the music. Prince isn't making music for you. He's making it for himself. He is very closed, but I like it when people do their job and move on. I don't need Prince to have a reality show.

• Members

No-I'm not mentally challenged, I'm in the top 99% of the human race when it comes to thinking, why don't you grow a dick, asshole. You must be dumb and deaf, that fag is a total {censored} hack as far as I'm concerned.
:wave:

Every time you type "fag" your credibility goes right out the window. :wave:

• Members

Prince was THE reason I watched the Super Bowl...period. And he certainly didn't disappoint!
:thu:
Bear

Same here. As soon as he left stage I turned the channel. It's very interesting to see people who love music complain about terrible music, no talent, semi-"artists", ect. flooding the market...when we finally get a taste of someone who is worthy of the spotlight...they aren't good enough either. Make up your mind people. I'll watch/listen to Prince over Justin Timberlake any day of the week.

• Members

Prince isn't making music for you. He's making it for himself.

And you think that makes him a great artist? WOW! I've never heard a musician speak like you did, but this is a forum and people are in music for different reasons. I personally never write or make anything without first putting in to prospective the impact it will have on a listener.

Well I'm glad you said it because I have never bought a recent Prince CD and never will unless he pulls his head out of his rear end!

Audioicon

• Members

And you think that makes him a great artist? WOW! I've never heard a musician speak like you did, but this is a forum and people are in music for different reasons. I personally never write or make anything without first putting in to prospective the impact it will have on a listener.

Well I'm glad you said it because I have never bought a recent Prince CD and never will unless he pulls his head out of his rear end!

Audioicon

No, I believe his talent makes him a great artist. He's always going against the grain anyway, but If you don't like it, that's certainly ok. I'm positive he won't miss the $ you would have spent on the CD.

• Members

No, I believe his
talent
makes him a great artist. He's always going against the grain anyway, but If you don't like it, that's certainly ok. I'm positive he won't miss the $ you would have spent on the CD.

I will never take that away from an artist. I have Purple Rain and really liked his music until now. I don't think he's weird and loves his style. But as I've mentioned earlier, my problem is with his hide away personality in terms of reaching out to other musician.

I listened to the interview with Quincy Jones about Prince refusal to sing with Michael on Bad, he's selfish but not a bad artist. If he ever makes another great song, I'll buy it.

Audioicon

• Members

I will never take that away from an artist. I have Purple Rain and really liked his music until now. I don't think he's weird and loves his style. But as I've mentioned earlier, my problem is with his hide away personality in terms of reaching out to other musician.

I listened to the interview with Quincy Jones about Prince refusal to sing with Michael on Bad, he's selfish but not a bad artist. If he ever makes another great song, I'll buy it.

Audioicon

I guess I don't get it. I would never assume an artist should work with anyone they don't want to. Maybe it's selfish, but I don't have a problem with that. I would love to have heard a song from the two of them, but hey...that's the way it goes.

• Members

Maybe the incintive wasn't there. Eddie Van Halen, from what I understand, didn't come out smelling like a rose with the deal he cut for his performance on Beat It (Thriller). I give Prince credit for being shrewd in business matters; where is Prince compared to Eddie these days?

I didn't watch the SB, but my kids did at their dad's house. I might have sat in to watch just for half time had I thought about the performances.

• Members

Found the performance on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-gLWj-_TBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9k83AC7d0A

I thouroughly enjoyed the performance and especially the stage and stagecraft involved. I never listened much to Prince when I was younger, too bad, he's a great Blues artist when he sings the blues. I was only aware of the POP version of Prince.

• Members

I too enjoyed the performance, and I will agree, the mix absolutely sucked up until the last 45 seconds or so, but even then they could have used a bit more guitar (they turned it down WAY too much from previous)

But did anyone else notice that he wasn't using IEM's??? How the heck was he monitoring himself while being all over the stage like that? Any ideas? Was a whole slew of wedges all around the stage? I certainly didn't hear nay bleed, especially when he knocked over the mic...

• Members
Amazing. ...and, in the pouring rain?!?

Dumb question... electric guitars, power amps, and other electric musical appliances??????? Pouring rain??? Electical shock would seem to be a major concern from an outsider's point of view. Have they weatherproofed live outdoor musical performances?

signed....
Clueless :confused:

• Members

No Ani, electrocution was indeed a real danger, for not only Prince but each of the hundreds of people (techs and so on) who were coming into contact with pouring rain and live electricity.

Regardless, his performance was magnificent. I honestly am positive it was the very best Super Bowl halftime performance in history, bar none.

And yes, like Where said: everything was track except guitar and voice, but both of those were magnificent. Yes, the guitar was mixed REALLY FREAKIN LOUD, but luckily it was also played REALLY FREAKIN WELL. :D

- Jeff

• Members

Dumb question... electric guitars, power amps, and other electric musical appliances??????? Pouring rain??? Electical shock would seem to be a major concern from an outsider's point of view. Have they weatherproofed live outdoor musical performances?

Now THAT is something worth discussing.

I for one was fearful that something negative would happen. I dancer slipping and landing hard, mic shock, or an amp blowing up etc. I guess they had those amps under the stage somehow or under plastic over by the band. Prince himself seemd a lil hesitant to touch the mics, but they were cordless so it worked ok.

I did notice they changed guitars on almost every song though. Was this due to safety or finger slippage? Both? I'm sure Prince is years past showing off his guitar collection etc.

Archived