Super Bowl - Prince !

Gus Lozada

• Members

I too enjoyed the performance, and I will agree, the mix absolutely sucked up until the last 45 seconds or so, but even then they could have used a bit more guitar (they turned it down WAY too much from previous)

But did anyone else notice that he wasn't using IEM's??? How the heck was he monitoring himself while being all over the stage like that? Any ideas? Was a whole slew of wedges all around the stage? I certainly didn't hear nay bleed, especially when he knocked over the mic...

Prince has not used much for monitors ever. He much prefers to hear the house and work off that. Hats off to him for keeping in sync with the tracks in that environment. There were however a multitude of wedges under the deck invisible to the audience.

AFA the mix "sucking" well that's the mix minus that was was given to the broadcast truck by Prince. Halftime shows are always track, with a few select inputs live, in this case Princes vocal and guitar. Seconds are critical to the advertizing dollars, and they need to know exactly how long the performance is to the second.

Personally I thought the guitar was too loud throughout, but then it is Prince.

Bottom line for me, it was the best halftime show in years, rain and all.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now THAT is something worth discussing.

I for one was fearful that something negative would happen. I dancer slipping and landing hard, mic shock, or an amp blowing up etc. I guess they had those amps under the stage somehow or under plastic over by the band. Prince himself seemd a lil hesitant to touch the mics, but they were cordless so it worked ok.

I did notice they changed guitars on almost every song though. Was this due to safety or finger slippage? Both? I'm sure Prince is years past showing off his guitar collection etc.

Changing guitars is his style. If you check out any of his performances you'll see him handing each guitar to a crew member in the audience. He has preferences for each song, and yes...he likes to show off a bit :D

That performance was the only reason I watched the Superbowl.

• Members
No Ani, electrocution was indeed a real danger, for not only Prince but each of the hundreds of people (techs and so on) who were coming into contact with pouring rain and live electricity.

Regardless, his performance was magnificent. I honestly am positive it was the very best Super Bowl halftime performance in history, bar none.

And yes, like Where said: everything was track except guitar and voice, but both of those were magnificent. Yes, the guitar was mixed REALLY FREAKIN LOUD, but luckily it was also played REALLY FREAKIN WELL.
:D

- Jeff

Its Prince. He does things strictly for the art of the moment. I think Prince was going for the RAWK, so thats what we got. I thought it fantastic to see the Superbowl gig with a guitar shredder, definitely a first. I think it needed to be too loud as it was centerpiece of his performance.

I was waiting for you guys to come in say the whole thing was a canned performance, but I could swear the guitar was definitely live. I'm glad to hear that you guys concur. At the end I noticed when he threw the guitar off stage you could hear the roady catch it by the strings. So I felt confident the Guitar, which was the best part, was live. Honestly his vocals were only adequate in my view, the guitar playing was phenomenal.

• Members

He never fails to bring it...funny to see him "give it back" to Dave Grohl...that was cool.

That's exactly what I thought. Took me a sec to recognize Best of You. Then I started laughing. Wonder if they know each other...

• Members
No Ani, electrocution was indeed a real danger, for not only Prince but each of the hundreds of people (techs and so on) who were coming into contact with pouring rain and live electricity.

Regardless, his performance was magnificent. I honestly am positive it was the very best Super Bowl halftime performance in history, bar none.

And yes, like Where said: everything was track except guitar and voice, but both of those were magnificent. Yes, the guitar was mixed REALLY FREAKIN LOUD, but luckily it was also played REALLY FREAKIN WELL.

- Jeff

I would give Prince, and his entire staff from the top down, extra kudos for performing so well under such adverse conditions. It's one thing to watch a football game turn into mudball but, although mudball can have risk factors involved for injury, playing in the rain has never required death defying performance from team players.

On the other hand, I hope that Prince's "Rain" performance does not give young and aspiring artists, and even some old codgers, the impression that playing live music in the rain is a cool thing to do. He made it look so easy, as did all the others that were visible to the camera.

I can just see a "Jackass" video cropping up where band members, midgets inclusive, play electric guitars, synthesizers, and scream into mics while performing nude in the pouring rain. :eek:

• Moderators

Prince is very selfish and self centered, I don't think this forum Harmony Central would exist if the people in here had the "Prince Mentality.

I agree with your statement. And I loved the show on Sunday. I actually started a thread a year ago or so regarding Prince and how I want to slap him sometimes but... at the same time there isn't anyone who can hold a candle to him. I don't particularly like his albums with the exeption of some of his 80's output... but as a musician and performer, I am in awe.

He's a showoff. Something he does incredibly well. I wish there were more like him. James Brown and Jimi and John Lennon and Jim Morrison and Miles Davis sort of blended to create this man standing at the top of the current heap.

If you've ever performed professionaly, you can't help but wonder how it is he does what he does.

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplux1

Every time you type "fag" your credibility goes right out the window.

Truth.

Truth.

Those are types of posts that I ignore after the first couple of hate spewing garbage that comes out. Ignore the trolls.

• Members
I would give Prince, and his entire staff from the top down, extra kudos for performing so well under such adverse conditions. It's one thing to watch a football game turn into mudball but, although mudball can have risk factors involved for injury, playing in the rain has never required death defying performance from team players.

Sure, but before you build a shrine to him or something ( :D ), do keep in mind that the risks of electrocution to the artist in this day of wireless is WAY less than it was when everything ran on cables.

The more dangerous positions for electrocution were held by the techs, as usual.

- Jeff

• Members

I guess they had those amps under the stage somehow or under plastic over by the band.

The staduim PA is specificially designed for these shows, the amp racks all live in the tunnels, well protected, and off the field where space is at a premium. The only "amp" onstage would be for prince's guitar, which was probably a simulator(pod, etc) anyway. The show was all track except for his guitar and vocal, as are all halftime shows. Advertizing money is far too precious to lose even a second to a performance.

• Members

Yesterday's performance by Prince was by far the best half-time show that I can recall ever seeing. I'm sure half the kids watching this yesterday had never seen musicianship of this caliber before. I don't consider myself a huge fan of Prince but I have to give credit where credit is due. Besides going a little over-board with the whammy bar his playing was top notch! And what tone! Most musicians would give their left nut to have a fraction of Prince's talent.

• Members
Sure, but before you build a shrine to him or something (
), do keep in mind that the risks of electrocution to the artist in this day of wireless is WAY less than it was when everything ran on cables.

The more dangerous positions for electrocution were held by the techs, as usual.

- Jeff

For sure Jeff; the road crew always gets the {censored}e end of the deal.

When I was in Drama, I always preferred the tech end of things to the performance because of stage fright. Before being allowed to access the stage lighting control panel and enter the cat walk areas, I had to study Ohms Law to make sure I didn't set the place on fire.

Tell you what though, I had a blast being behind the curtain on the creative side of things.... and still to this day, I'd rather be behind the lights than in front of them.

• Members

Were Paul McCartney and The Rolling Stones all using pre-recorded tracks with live vocals?

For McCartney the only thing live was his vocal.

Stones as I recall it was Mick's vocal and Keith's guitar, might have been Ron's guitar also.

The NFL and the networks dictate this. Track shows give them exact timing. As with any major netowrk broadcast, timing is everything, as it equates to advertizing dollars in numbers most of us can't even dream about.

• Members
I will never take that away from an artist. I have Purple Rain and really liked his music until now. I don't think he's weird and loves his style. But as I've mentioned earlier, my problem is with his hide away personality in terms of reaching out to other musician.

I listened to the interview with Quincy Jones about Prince refusal to sing with Michael on Bad, he's selfish but not a bad artist. If he ever makes another great song, I'll buy it.

Audioicon

Remember back then when Michael Jackson was the more family-friendly one and Prince was the weirdo?

My have times changed! :)

• Members

One question...when you play guitar in the rain, you tend to get electric shock (nothing fatal, but you can feel it). How did Prince get away with it? Or was it because he was wireless?

1. Actually, quite a few people have been killed by electrocution while playing guitar while being rained on or otherwise wet. Rock can be fatal.

2. Wireless has everything to do with why he was not being shocked. The heavy electricity would be running from the amp(s) back up the cable to the guitar. That doesn't happen over radio frequencies, and there's certainly not enough juice in a guitar (even with active pickups running off a 9V) to bother you.

The real problems happen when there's a grounding difference between two items, like a mic and a guitar. I've had the crap shocked out of me. No, not literally, but almost. But wireless negates that.

- Jeff

• Members

Along with his talent, I was extremely impressed with his timing in that performance. He always keeps the tempo extra tight. So many issues to deal with...actually moving around(in the rain), making it back to the mic on time, delay issues, ect. He earned tons of respect for that performance. Even from those who weren't fans. :)

1. Actually, quite a few people have been killed by electrocution while playing guitar while being rained on or otherwise wet. Rock can be fatal.

2. Wireless has everything to do with why he was not being shocked. The heavy electricity would be running from the amp(s) back up the cable to the guitar. That doesn't happen over radio frequencies, and there's certainly not enough juice in a guitar (even with active pickups running off a 9V) to bother you.

The real problems happen when there's a grounding difference between two items, like a mic and a guitar. I've had the crap shocked out of me. No, not literally, but almost. But wireless negates that.

- Jeff

You are so right, Jeff.

Yet one more reason to go wireless.

• Members
excerpted
Even from those who weren't fans.
:)

:thu: I think that was the plan with selecting the covers. He rocked them.

If you were to put a roomful of marketing types together, they would say that the Super Bowl is a scheduled meeting between the Fans and the Best. This show was not an accident. I think everybody can learn something from this.

Archived