Can you be in love more than once?

temnov

• Moderators

I have to be careful here.

In my twenties I was in love. Deeply in love with a girl. We moved in together. We spent time together. It was a movie. As I started getting some music industry success, my head grew out of proportion to my success. Drugs and cheating followed. I was young and stupid. And I was in love with her still.

Have my cake and... you know.

She up and all at once packed her car. Left the state. All in a day. I got the word from her... and she was gone. Forever. I still remember standing in the apartment complex drive way seeing her pull away. It was raining and I was crying. What a cliche, but I was busting a tear.

I'm now married with a kid. I can honestly say I haven't loved as deeply as I did then. I'm a better person. I work harder for my love now. I do the righteous thing for love, but I haven't loved a woman like I love that girl.

• Members

For the most part, it's pretty cool to see that most of you are deeply thoughtful and emotional people. That's what makes knowing all of you so great.

That being said, I'm the anti-mush dude. Yes yes, my wife has figured out that I'm a softie inside, but I'm the guy likely to say "get me a beer biatch" with a big grin on my face. I'm the guy that offers his shoulder at funerals but thinks the mood should be light and we should laugh a lot, even during a loss. If you can laugh with someone, you can love them.

I think you can be in love many times, each one different. But if the biach don't know how to laugh, I'm moving on.

• Moderators

Personally, I have a nearly limitless capacity to love.

However, my ability to manage lovers starts to break down somewhere after three. :o

Terry D.

P.S. On a more serious note (actually that last was pretty serious too), I used to worry about being alone and to this day I meet many young people worried about being alone. We could discuss for hours why being alone is a good thing, but that's another topic.

The fact is, though, that I learned pretty quickly that I (and by extension, anyone) need never be alone unless they choose too. The world is absolutely awash in love of all sorts, with lonely people wanting to partner, etc. etc. You can't take a stride without stepping in it, can't throw a rock over your shoulder without bruising it, etc. People who are unloved are, as the song goes, "Standing in the river dying of thirst."

I know that if, God forbid, my wonderful wife were to leave me for any reason, it would probably not be more than a month before some woman knocked on my door with luggage wanting to come in and unpack. And, God help me, I'd let her because I'm the kind of man who long ago realized that women do the choosing but make men do the asking. These days, women are bolder, so there's really no need for a man to do anything. There are always buzzards circling around any relationship, all that's required is the appearance of death for them to swoop down.

Gosh, I'm such a hopeless romantic, huh? ;)

• Members

Love is a way to be, it doesn't depend too much from the loved "object", but rather from one's own needs. I tend to think that if you need that feeling you can fall in love easily, again and again.

You might think of it as a superficial way to love, but it's not because at its maximum and if you are lucky, you can fall in love everyday for your mate. At its minimum you can stay forever with the same person because you don't really need anything but a quiet life.

Most of the people are somewhere in between and things go in a certain way or the other for many different reasons.

• Members

I do the righteous thing for love, but I haven't loved a woman like I love that girl.

I think that you were very young and those impressions are very strong. The cliche' of "first love." I don't mean lust, I mean the first person you absolutely were in love with. That is very strong.

However, someone can supercede it. I was madly in love with my first love. For five years. She did me wrong. Ten years later... I fell and spent ten years with a woman. Who do I think of? The last one, for sure. Who knows, I guess it was luck of the draw. But wow, was that first one strong, or what? Yes, she was, but the second one, now, she really had my heart.

• Members

This is a very thoughtful and interesting thread. As I was telling my friend Beck recently, I've been quite odd this summer due to splitting with my fourteen year partner in all things. I can't seem to abate the magnetic draw I feel for her. My mind realizes that there were problems, that were she an American Indian her Indian name would be; 'Jumps to Conclusions.'

I had a first true love in my early 20's. Lasted for five years and she cheated on me. After that, I had over a year of learning to be alone again. One day found myself in the arms of a another gal and it somehow made me feel desirable or worthy or something. Through the 80's and early 90's I was never serious with anyone. If you can sing and play guitar, ladies that would never give you a second look on the street want to take you home with them and I found this preferable on 'ahem' a few occasions to the hotel rooms that get really old.

Then met my Selena. She was everything I ever wanted out of a partner, plus, we could write songs together which I've just barely done with anyone else. We got along famously for years, but some key things changed. She called me last night and while it was nice to hear her voice, she said some things that completely floored me. I mean some new opinions she's developed in our absence. It was like I didn't know her at all... I don't know, I feel different today. Kind of like all this is unpleasant, but inevitable.

Hey, Mr. Knobs, where do you live? I keep checking the front porch for lovely young lasses with luggage and still no luck! ;)

• Members

There are many kinds of love. There are people I love that I would never want to live with. There are people I love that I would never want to have sex with. The things I loved about my exes probably haven't changed, we don't have the same relationship, but I still appreciate the qualities they always had. I see no reason to limit one's feelings, unless they cause problems for you.

• Members

This is a very thoughtful and interesting thread. As I was telling my friend Beck recently, I've been quite odd this summer due to splitting with my fourteen year partner in all things. I can't seem to abate the magnetic draw I feel for her. My mind realizes that there were problems, that were she an American Indian her Indian name would be; 'Jumps to Conclusions.'

I had a first true love in my early 20's. Lasted for five years and she cheated on me

• Members

Beck said: My current SO's Indian name would be, "Sent by Satan to Kill You."

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dying over here!

Oh man, have a bit of a post to answer yours, but haven't had my dinner yet and need to watch the Dem vs. Repub dog and pony show coming on telly soon.

Thanks for that post! :D

Interesting and cheered me up!

• Members

All right then Mr. Beck, the debate is over and I'll not say who I'm for but he was too much a gentleman where he should really get a comedy writer to write him some zinger/catch phrases to be played over and over on the 24 hour news cycle and win him some friends among the unwashed masses.

It's funny you mention the animosity you experienced with your high school lover on first meeting. I mean, that was the theme of many Jimmy Stewart movies and exactly how me and Selena started out. (Hey, I had a thing with a Sandy as a senior in high school, even if the names are changed ;) )

Anyway, I was a band leader with a band in turmoil -breaking up, in the early 90's and my ex gay keyboard bandmate who was in a ton of the 80's bands with me had hooked up in a really popular country band that featured Selena.

I was smitten with her at first sight. Loved her look and voice and we talked for a long time the first time when their band was setting up and had some weird coincidences from the past and such. (had both worked at a gunfighter/country music show theme park in the past, just different years).

Anyway, we worked out a way her and fag and me and my drummer would form a band (and if anyone reading this is a guy who likes guys, no offense intended, but when my old band mate would drag us all to gay bars, they all called each other fags so the word means nothing to me).

At any rate, Selena is a very small person (5'5", 107 lbs at last count) but she can belt out volume singing like nobody's business. I stuck a compressor in her chain because I actually saw people walking in front of the mains who cringed and almost fell down when she hit a loud bit. So all her friends told her I was ruining her sound and she just flippin' hated me for the first bit of our time in a band together. Thing is, the few times we ended up alone together, well, that went really really well. So when we ended up grabbing each other, we never let go. The whole Jimmy Stewart movie hate turning into love thing.

Think a lot of my spooked out over all this being over is that over 14 years, the touching stuff never got old or stale and was intense up until right when it ended. Maybe my insanity is my tallywhacker talking to me or something??? (Where's Selena???) ;)

But yeah, she really changed. When we first got together, we went on some oversea's tours and were just in our own world in another world. When things got to the point where gigs were drying up and we took 'normal' jobs, she got me going to Catholic church. Then the guilt trip stuff started in ernest.

Could tell more insight, maybe should pm, this is the public! 8-O

At any rate, must have missed the back scratching story, but sounds like a really intense episode back in the day.

About the two types of women, my first love (Judy) was definitely the out of sight, out of mind type. Honestly, don't know how we lasted for five years, but she was way bright and funny and maybe the best natural singer I've ever met (just couldn't write like Selena).

Holy smokes, feels weird thinking back on life and thinking there will be more and different. Trying to think optimistic right now...

• Members

Maybe my insanity is my tallywhacker talking to me or something???

A talking tallywhacker... now there's something you don't see every day. :lol:

Mine just does sign language, but I don't listen to it anymore for the really important decisions, though he's a straight shooter... you always know where he stands. I just say, hold your horses... your time will come. I get some strange looks at the mall during these conversations.

But yeah, she really changed. When we first got together, we went on some oversea's tours and were just in our own world in another world. When things got to the point where gigs were drying up and we took 'normal' jobs, she got me going to Catholic church. Then the guilt trip stuff started in ernest.

Uh oh. God is good, but guilt-based religion has nothing to do with Him and will suck the life right out of you.

Holy smokes, feels weird thinking back on life and thinking there will be more and different. Trying to think optimistic right now...

Keep thinking that way. I don't know where things will end up for me in the true love department... have no idea at this point. But I'm not going to sit around and wait for it. We have to make things happen.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." :)

• Members

Beck-

Don`t deny it, we`re kindred spirits... soul mates. Can`t ya feel it baby?
:love:

We definitely both have the heart of the Ninja! I'm sure. :facepalm:

You've gotta watch this at least to minute 5:44. I laugh so hard it hurts. :lol:

[YOUTUBE]o8Y9kvoPzBY[/YOUTUBE]

Archived