So what's the opinions on the Crate Palominos? The Good & The Bad?

GAS Man

• Members
I supported and still support the Iraq war and our troops. Only thing I say is when you go to war with someone you go and kill them , tear up their stuff and then you leave it. You don't spend billions of dollars rebuilding what you just tore up.

As for you limeys we kicked your asses twice now and bailed you out of 2 other wars. And as I recall you guys were fighting in Vietnam also weren't you? I guess you lost too huh? The sad truth about Vietnam is that our boys (US, Brits,Aussies etc.) weren't allowed to win that war. If they had been allowed then 6 months and it would have been over.

It's time for you to get over something. Britain is the US's bitch and always will be. Because we are the only friends you have left. Get over it and do as you are told.
:)

BTW I am thinking of buying a Crate V33 Head. Played one yesterday and it sounded pretty good.

You're a {censored}ing idiot. People who don't understand history generally shouldn't talk about it. "Brits" in Vietnam? Lol.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I supported and still support the Iraq war and our troops. Only thing I say is when you go to war with someone you go and kill them , tear up their stuff and then you leave it. You don't spend billions of dollars rebuilding what you just tore up.

As for you limeys we kicked your asses twice now and bailed you out of 2 other wars. And as I recall you guys were fighting in Vietnam also weren't you? I guess you lost too huh? The sad truth about Vietnam is that our boys (US, Brits,Aussies etc.) weren't allowed to win that war. If they had been allowed then 6 months and it would have been over.

It's time for you to get over something. Britain is the US's bitch and always will be. Because we are the only friends you have left. Get over it and do as you are told.
:)

BTW I am thinking of buying a Crate V33 Head. Played one yesterday and it sounded pretty good.

see, that's why people hate us and why a regime change in our own country is necessary. i'd say that too many of our elected officials feel just like this jackass. there is no question in my mind as to why we are so reviled and held in such contempt around the world.

• Members

Wow, this is the most politics I've ever seen in a forum thread over anything guitar-related. Get over it guys, we all have our differing opinions and even prejudices; arguing on the internet isn't going to change that.

I saw some of these Palominos at GC the other day, and I'm hoping I can get a better idea about them from this thread. I love how they're all tube and look all vintage.

• Members

Dang guys, I was doing a little jousting with csm in fun. Let's not get nasty.

Peace csm.

Our leaders make mistakes just like any human being does. But we don't like people, even natives making "sport" of our beloved land. I love my country dearly and don't like it one bit when someone pits Her down.

My opinion on this Iraq war is that I'm in complete support of our troops. I too thought we were facing WMD's and an attack was warranted. But, that wasn't the case as it turns out.

And an army is only effective when it is on the attack. As soon as our combined troops (British & US) conquered Baghdad and became stationary, they all turned into "sitting ducks".

I don't know what the solution is to that mess. It causes me great sorrow for our brave men and women in uniform over there. I wish and pray for their safe return.

Get a USA made Crate Palomino if you get a chance.

FP

• Members

Our leaders make mistakes just like any human being does. But we don't like people, even natives making "sport" of our beloved land. I love my country dearly and don't like it one bit when someone pits Her down.

My opinion on this Iraq war is that I'm in complete support of our troops. I too thought we were facing WMD's and an attack was warranted. But, that wasn't the case as it turns out.

And an army is only effective when it is on the attack. As soon as our combined troops (British & US) conquered Baghdad and became stationary, they all turned into "sitting ducks".

I don't know what the solution is to that mess. It causes me great sorrow for our brave men and women in uniform over there. I wish and pray for their safe return.

FP

And peace be upon you too.

The troops (yours'n mine) got screwed: those who are sent/persuaded/ordered to fight an unjust and unnecessary war, on spurious grounds, by unscrupulous politicians with hidden agendas should be counted amongst its victims. The Iraqis got screwed: they swapped life under a dictatorship for life in ceaseless peril and chaos. Can anybody -- the Iraqi civilian population, the citizens of either of our countries -- honestly say they're freer and safer as a result of what's gone down?

Who won? An awful lot of American corporations are a lot richer as a result and -- ummm -- that's it.

As for 'loving one's country' and all that entails, let me just offer this. George Orwell once defined the difference between 'patriotism' and 'nationalism' in these terms: a patriot loves his country, and a nationalist hates everybody else's.

To recycle a slogan from the Vietnam era (and remember that it was a Vietnam reference which kicked this mess off in the first place): Support our troops -- bring them home.

And, Cratewise, I'm sure the Palomino is a very fine amp indeed, but right now I'm totally happy with my 1969 Fender Super Reverb.

Made -- as I'm sure I don't need to remind you -- in the USA.

• Members

FP

Not debating with you personally FP, but just leading off from your post-

Personally, I never bought the "WMDs" hype. When GW started talking about Iraq I did one serious "Scooby Doo double take". It was obvious to me that it was a diversion with an ulterior motive. Intelligence had never indicated that Iraq was a terrorist base, more likely, Iran.

Under the pressure of threatened attack, Saddam kept agreeing to open up more and more areas, including the Presidential Palaces, to U.N. inspectors, but GW's attitude was "too little too late", because that wasn't his real reason for going in. So he didn't allow the U.N. inspectors to continue their verification work.

GW took our neuvo-patriotism from our 911 attack and redirected it and the country's emotions towards "the guy who tried to kill his daddy" and more importantly, the guy who tried to take over Kuwait in an effort to control (increase) the price of oil. The Neo-cons figured he'll try again some day. They essentially saw him as a "destabilizing entity" not really a threat, in the oil producing region and therefore "destabilizing to the supply and price of oil. But even their capitalistic/militaristic ploy hasn't panned out because we've all seen what happened to the price of oil even 5 years down the road from the invasion. The neo-cons promised that Iraqi oil would pay for reconstruction. They quickly changed that to tax payers paying for the reconstruction through no-bid procedures to "buddy" corporations like Halliburton.

I certainly support our troops. I grew up the son of a West Point Officer, so I don't have an anti-military bone in my body. But we never should have allowed our executive administration to divert us from the mission in Afganistan, where we did have true international support. WMDs was always simply a ruse, because most developed countries have some level of WMD agents available (whether gas, bio or nuke). Possession is never as relevant as is the determination of actual threat, and Iraq posed no inordinate threat against the U.S. And he may have been a "bad guy" but we should not sacrifice our troops or economy to clean up all of the world's "bad guys".

And although I mourn the suffering of our troops that have been maimed and killed, I think we appear to lack conscience as a society when we spend so little time mourning the thousands of deaths of Iraqi innocent civilians, men, women and children, that have resulted from our attack and invasion. We were writing songs about "Shockin Y'all" when we dropped some 30,000 bombs and missiles on Iraq in the initial attack. And despite our pride in warfare technology, warheads tend to be indiscriminating. Even the economic sanctions of the Clinton era are said to have directly caused the death of thousands of Iraqi civilians due to shortages in food, medicine and hospital equipment (approx 50,000 IIRC)

Unfortunately though, we broke it, now we've got to try to fix it. Now that the iron fist of Saddam is gone and it's now the GW seedling of democracy, all types will flourish in Iraq, including Al Qaeda.

I'm rooting for Obama, but even he or Hillary, will eventually quit pandering to the left and admit that a significant sized peace keeping contingent will have to remain.

And I'm hoping we'll invite the French and Germans back in as U.N peace-keeping forces and let them have a piece of the reconstruction as well, besides Halliburton, et al. Then they can enjoy the net economic loss along with us.

And as far and England goes, they helped us carry out this farce so I'm none to happy to see them withdrawing yet. Tony Blair gave us some of the stories to help persuade the American people. They need to stick around on this party too until the house is clean and the dishes washed.

But I'm still not sure about the Palminos, sounds like a decent value at least for the money. Mixed review, but good price for what you get. But I'll probably pass.

Thanks

• Members

GAS Man -- cool runnin's to you. You are a fine American and a credit to your nation, and I say that with no irony, sarcasm or agenda whatsoever. I raise my glass of inexpensive but palatable French wine to drink y'all's very good health.

You want to indict Tony Blair as a war criminal? I'll walk you down to the courthouse.

Peace be upon you.

• Members

And, Cratewise, I'm sure the Palomino is a very fine amp indeed, but right now I'm totally happy with my 1969 Fender Super Reverb.

Made -- as I'm sure I don't need to remind you -- in the USA.

Sometimes I've thought about buying a Super Reverb. Seems like it might be pretty awesome with the 4x10s and possibly a bit Marshall-esque sounding in a Fender sort of way. ????

But I've wondered about that versus the Bassman. Yeah, I know I'd have to add reverb to the Bassman, but are their other differences I might hear or encounter??

Another words, I'm not sure which would be a better choice for me as a hobbyist.

• Members

Major diff apart from the reverb or lack of: the Super has a classic blackface/early silverface Fender clean until you crank it past the halfway mark. The Bassman is Tweedsville -- and it was the Bassman on which Kim Marshall based his earliest amps -- Pete Townshend brought one in and said, 'Make me something like this only ten times louder.'

Despite both being 4x10 and in the 40-50w ballpark, the Super Reverb and the Bassman are quite dissimilar amps. If you want something 'a bit Marshall-esque sounding in a Fender sort of way', then the Bassman's your boy rather than the Super. If you want something that starts out slightly Twin-ish but breaks up nicely before the walls actually start to crumble, then head Super Reverb-wards.

Be warned, tho' ... both amps are PHENOMENALLY loud, and too powerful even for some decent-sized bars. Unless you've got some big(ish) rooms to play in, you may be better off with something smaller than either. The DRRI ... or even a Crate.

• Members

This thing about Americans not caring for it when foreigners comment on "our" government?

When are my countrymen going to wake up and realize that Bush and his cronies aren't "our" government?

Bush and his gang are just a bunch of multinational corporations with no allegiance to anything or anyone except their own interests. They aren't even a "government" by our own (American, I mean) defintion.

I mean, what's the U.S. Constitution say a "government" is? Something to provide for the common welfare, establish justice, protect the borders, and secure the blessings of liberty onto us, right?

The Bush regime does NONE of that, therefore they aren't really a government.

Just a bunch of multinational crooks, the modern day equivalent of a pirate ship, really, except they've got control of the entire American nation-state structure, and they use it to go around the world, sticking their noses everywhere, exploiting everything, and impoverishing America is the process.

Maybe someday, if America ever does re-establish a government truly our own, and it minds the business of America and keeps it's nose out of the business of others, then maybe I'll get worried about foreigner's commenting about it.

But this Bush gang is just a bunch of international crooks, so until then as far as I'm concerned, they are fair game for international disgust.

• Members

Bush and his gang are just a bunch of multinational corporations with no allegiance to anything or anyone except their own interests. They aren't even a "government" by our own (American, I mean) defintion.

I mean, what's the U.S. Constitution say a "government" is? Something to provide for the common welfare, establish justice, protect the borders, and secure the blessings of liberty onto us, right?

The Bush regime does NONE of that, therefore they aren't really a government.

Just a bunch of multinational crooks, the modern day equivalent of a pirate ship,

It's too bad that their "crowd" was able to hijack an association with the "family values", "evangelical" groups (in my view largely stemming back to the Reagan era). Without that allegiance they'd never have had enough support (votes) to make it to power.

It was a great coup for the Republicans when they grabbed that power base. It's odd that the party of "less government" became associated with groups that espouse more governmental social controls.

When GW was running against Ann Richards for the Governorship of Texas, his manager Karl Rove actually had fliers made up suggesting that the State Capitol of Texas under her leadership was full of homosexuals and deviant sexual behavior being conducted within the halls of that institution. They plastered these fliers on the windshields of cars belonging to people while attending evangelical church services. This bit of info was portrayed in a biography about GW prior to his first election. Despite being known for dirty tricks, our country made him the world's top CEO. And did it twice.

And you know how it's supposed to go, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice........"

[YOUTUBE]8Ux3DKxxFoM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
I thought politics were a "no no" topic in here? Seriously guys....back to the Palominos....

:D
I love Palominos...

Well, I'm certainly tempted to try out either the 8 or the 16.

I'd prefer one of the smaller ones so I could dime it and hear it wail.

Dang nice lookin amps too

• Members

Well, I'm certainly tempted to try out either the 8 or the 16.

I chose the 16 because of the 12" speaker.

GAS Man, we agree more than you may think. If I gave even a hint that I in any way like Bush (either one of 'em) let me assure you that I can't stand that loser. He has surpassed even my expectations of how bad he could screw this country up. One comment you made caught my attention...

But we never should have allowed our executive administration to divert us from the mission in Afganistan, where we did have true international support.

...Other than voting, how could I have stopped that idiot? I always pull the straight D button every time I vote.

FP

• Members

I chose the 16 because of the 12" speaker.

GAS Man, we agree more than you may think. If I gave even a hint that I in any way like Bush (either one of 'em) let me assure you that I can't stand that loser. He has surpassed even my expectations of how bad he could screw this country up. One comment you made caught my attention...

...Other than voting, how could I have stopped that idiot? I always pull the straight D button every time I vote.

FP

I didn't mean to imply that we had any differences. I just decided to join the off topic conversation.

When I stated, "But we never should have allowed our executive administration to divert us from the mission in Afganistan, where we did have true international support." I meant through the collective will of the people

We have folks in our country like Hillary Clinton and John Kerry who we know were against the war, but they were afraid to vote against the resolution to authorize because of fear of being labeled "unpatriotic", "soft of terrorism" and not supporting the will of their constituency. This was particularly common amongst some folks in politics who had greater political aspirations. I admire those who nonetheless stood against the resolution at the risk of their political standings to say, "wait a minute here". But the Bush administration had done a thorough job of linking in the public perception 9/11 to Iraq, and Al Qaeda to Iraq, even though those were known falsehoods by our own intelligence community.

But actually, in the long run. History really will be the judge. I'm talking 50 years or more down the road. But it will never be able to say for sure how the Bush plan would have faired against the different course of continued international diplomatic measures. Obviously, if Saddam's boys had taken over, that legacy of cruel dictatorship could have continued for another generation. But I just don't think we had the warranted provocation to intervene in that country's sovereignty.

Archived