So what's the opinions on the Crate Palominos? The Good & The Bad?

GAS Man

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, dominoes ARE scary. Almost as bad as those TERRIFYING chess pieces. Ever have nightmares about horses and castles?

Uhh ...

Okay. Just me, then.

Nah, the dominoes aren't scary anymore; now we got an AXIS to worry about. And invisible but visible WMD. And threats that were later shown to be absolutely no threat. And man that Bin Laden plays a mean hide and go seek. Wait, are we still counting or have we begun seeking yet?

And the late Bobby Fischer took care of all our nightmares regarding horses and castles. There for a brief time they appeared in dreams even. Then he started spewing hate speak and we called the whole thing off.

• Members

Wow, them Crate amps sure do bring alot of politics with them. I think I'll keep my distance from them.

"Bash America" seems to be a recent hobby on this board. Hey, there are several countries I don't care for how they are or were run, but sometimes its best not to hit the "post" key. :)

Last I remember there was a political forum where you can vent all your frustrations about evil old America or whoever. I humbly ask that you would try to keep such opinions or politics from threads where they really aren't necessary.

• Members

Wow, them Crate amps sure do bring alot of politics with them. I think I'll keep my distance from them.

"Bash America" seems to be a recent hobby on this board. Hey, there are several countries I don't care for how they are or were run, but sometimes its best not to hit the "post" key.
:)

Last I remember there was a political forum where you can vent all your frustrations about evil old America or whoever. I humbly ask that you would try to keep such opinions or politics from threads where they really aren't necessary.

So how come you didn't make this exact and well-put point when someone else referred to 'Viet Cong Palominos'?

• Members

I haven't played a Palamino, but I really dig the class A EL84 sound. I think many companies have used those kinds of ciruits well. I can think of Vox, Matchless, Ampeg (jet reissues), Mesa, and the 18watt Marshalls. Even Fender uses EL84s in its Blues, Jr I think. There seems to be a rash of 5 watters coming out that use the EL84 in class A. Oh yeah, the Carvin Vintage amps use'm....not sure if its in Class A mode though. I really liked the Ampeg Jet reissue I had and the Mesa Blue Angel I used to own sounded great with its EL84s all toasty. I may have to check these Paliminos out.

Can anyone compare their sounds to any of the amps I mentioned?

• Members

This thread is about Crate Palominos.
:thu:

You are correct. I apologize.

My Palomino came with two Groove Tubes EL84 power tubes and a Groove Tubes 12AX7 tube in the V1 socket and two "Russia" 12AX7 in the V2 and PI socket. Right out of the box it sounded great and was LOUD when the level was turned up and NASTY when the gain was turned up. There is also a BOOST button that further adds to the distortion. Three level EQ and reverb help to shape the sound.

FP

• Members

You are correct. I apologize.

My Palomino came with two Groove Tubes EL84 power tubes and a Groove Tubes 12AX7 tube in the V1 socket and two "Russia" 12AX7 in the V2 and PI socket. Right out of the box it sounded great and was
LOUD
when the level was turned up and
NASTY
when the gain was turned up. There is also a BOOST button that further adds to the distortion. Three level EQ and reverb help to shape the sound.

FP

Don't need to apologize to me at least. You've contributed the most so far to this thread. I didn't dig into your comment, but I knew what you meant. It's not that any of us necessarily harbor any spiteful grudge to this day against the people or country of Vietnam, but on the other hand, it does seem odd to be buying our junk from them already. It just feels a bit "unnatural". Part of the healing process I guess. People of our parents generation felt the same way when Japanese goods started flooding the market.

I understand a fair amount of the Vox products are also now being manufactured in Vietnam as well.

Thanks for the Info !:wave:

Back to PALOMINOS ! :D

• Members

my best friend is vietnamese. and pho is pretty good sometimes.

that's about all the vietnamese i've been directly exposed to.

I've worked with a Vietnamese refugee for the last 22 years. Hardest working person in the agency. But she likes to remind everyone that her ancestry is Chinese. :D (Vietnam's first invaders)

• Members

Being a middle class working guy myself, I realize that it's not in my best long term interest to purchase stuff made in regions where workers are badly exploited, either it's Vietnam or elsewhere.

I made SURE my Crate Palomino was made in the USA before I bought it.

Damn nice amp. I agree with the assessments, more British sounding than Fendery. So-so reverb, though.

• Members

One of my best friends has a Crate Palomino 15 watt combo. I think it sounds pretty good. My friend who owns it doesn't think it sounds as good as my Zinky Blue Velvet. But he does like it alot. I am pretty sure his was made in Viet Nam.

That's totally not fair - the Blue Velvet rules!

I have a V8 and totally happy. FWIW here's my mod thread -> Supercharging a V8

Fender Picker - think you could ask them which 10" Celestion is in the V8?

• Members

Man...HOW did I miss this thread? Well, I am completely happy with my Palomino. I bought a used Hot Rod Deville from GC, and decided I didn't like it. Took it back, and they had some Palominos on clearance. I played through it and was very impressed. Didn't buy that day, though. Started watching the web, and found a used one from GC in El Paso, TX. Bought an American made V32 for $239!!! This thing is absolutely amazing! REALLY nice clean tones, and the overdrive channel is awesome. I use it all of the time for performances. My Flextone stays at my house for practice time.

I did play through a Viet Nam made Palomino, and didn't like it as much. The sound was not THAT different, but I could tell a difference. I think the speakers are different, too. The Celestion in mine sounds fabulous! Groove tubes sound great, and the cream tolex looks wonderful!

Try and find a MIA model. Good stuff, and they can be had for the cheap!

• Members

Now there's a man who likes to hold a historical grudge.

You LOST. Get the fark over it.

FWIW, On 2 September 1945, after the French occupying forces had been thrown out, at the ceremony at which the Democratic Republic of Vietnam came into existence, President Ho Chi Minh read aloud the US Declaration of Independence and declared its principles to be the basis of the new state. Unfortunately, the US decided to side with the French (yep, the 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys').

The rest you (presumably) know.

I didn't know that...just like them to copy us.

• Members

Seriously...a friend of mine tried one made in U.S. at GC and liked it.

He then ordered one online to save a buck, just to find out it was out of stock and placed on back order. In the meantime, he discovered that the place of manufacture had changed. He finally received it, not made in U.S., of course, and tried it for about 15 minutes before packing it back up to return it.

on the lighter side...i joked with him that "Charlie" was in the box...is that a historical grudge? because i wasnt even alive back then.

• Members

We got over that centuries ago (frankly, we wouldn't take the place back even if it came with a management fee), but some sections of your contree seem to be still looking for a Vietnam you can win.

Do you remember that thing called World War II ? If it wasn't for THIS "contree", your "conuree" would be called Germany right now.

Archived