So what's the opinions on the Crate Palominos? The Good & The Bad?

GAS Man

• Members

Seems like they are quite the bargain ranging from $160 for 5W to $400 for 30W - all tube (Class A they claim) and Celestion speakers (don't know which model celestions), plus they look nice. :D I've seen comments here from time to time, but not enough concentrated discussion for me to form a clear idea of their quality and tone.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V8-5W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-103046553-i1146109.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V16-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-103046561-i1146110.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V32-30W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-487828-i1146112.gc

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man I got a set of tubes from Doug and put a Eminence "Swamp Thang" speaker in mine and it became a much better amp. The tubes actually improved the tone better than the speaker did. The stock speaker is very good.

Very good cleans. OK reverb tank. Excellent gain and overdrive.

FP

• Members

Thanks,

I was just noticing in another thread that dcindc states that the Palominos are a bit more Marshally than Fenderish. I think that kinda fits with what I've discerned from browsing threads here before. Would you agree with that characterization as well?

• Members

Man I got a set of tubes from Doug and put a Eminence "Swamp Thang" speaker in mine and it became a much better amp. The tubes actually improved the tone better than the speaker did. The stock speaker is very good.

Very good cleans. OK reverb tank. Excellent gain and overdrive.

FP

What was the stock speaker? I know they say Celestion, but that doesn't mean squat to me without knowing the model.

I'd be curious to know more about the tube swap. And who's Doug.

• Members

Now there's a man who likes to hold a historical grudge.

You LOST. Get the fark over it.

FWIW, On 2 September 1945, after the French occupying forces had been thrown out, at the ceremony at which the Democratic Republic of Vietnam came into existence, President Ho Chi Minh read aloud the US Declaration of Independence and declared its principles to be the basis of the new state. Unfortunately, the US decided to side with the French (yep, the 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys').

The rest you (presumably) know.

• Members

I have a vietnam palomino. It does sound good to me. I havent played US model to compare, but for what it is, its great.

Ditto. Got my V16 a few months ago, made in Vietnam. Sounds great to me, especially for the price.

• Members

Yeah, maybe. But we beat the crap out of the British and sent them back to England with their tails between their legs. :poke:

]

That makes TWO guys with a historical grudge.

We got over that centuries ago (frankly, we wouldn't take the place back even if it came with a management fee), but some sections of your contree seem to be still looking for a Vietnam you can win.

• Members

We wuz afraid of dominoes. That's what I remember as a kid.

My dad was Air Force and I remember one of his buds showing me a map and talking about those dern dominoes.

Must have been a break in the chain cuz we didn't become red after all.

Or maybe it was because "Charlie Don't Surf"

Archived