modeler users - which amp model?

book_of_lies777

• Members

those of you that use a modeling amp - which model do you tend to use the most?

I have a Line6 Flextone II XL 100 watt 2x12 combo amp which ROCKS, and while it can do a bunch of tones and I use whatever tone is appropriate for the song, but for general use/jamming, I tend to use the Marshall JCM800 amp model more often than not.

how about you?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a pretty low gain player and when the AD30 was my main amp, I used the AC15 model with the gain to about 4 or 5 the most along with the Marshall Plexi with the gain around 4 and the BoutiqueOD/Dumble with the gain turned to about 1.5.

I loved the AD30VT so much, I got a Tonelab and run it into the FX loop of my Peavey Prowler most of the time and I absolutely LOVE the JTM-45 model with the the Tubescreamer stompbox model. Both of them with the gain pretty low, but it gets a really nice growly tone if you set it just right.

MAN I love that combo!

The 800 is very good. I've often said that on the AD30VT, I felt the JCM800 and the AC30 were the most versatile models... They clean up very well, have some nice crunchy sounds and with the 800, you can get into some various 80s-90s tasteful metal tones.

I know the boutique amps and the various Vox, Fenders and other brands get a lot of love on this forum, but a guy could do a LOT worse than just a standard JCM800 1x12 combo. I long term borrowed one for over a year and at first, I liked it mostly for the dirtier tones but really learned to love the solidness of the cleans to every so slightly dirty tones it would put it. It literally changed 'my tone'.

• Members

My favourite places on my blue-front Valvetronix AD120VT tend to be my bank of progressively-more-dirty Fendery patches (Twin, Bassman, Deluxe) and the matching set of chime-to-grime AC15/ AC30TB models.

• Members

those of you that use a modeling amp - which model do you tend to use the most?

I have a Line6 Flextone II XL 100 watt 2x12 combo amp which ROCKS, and while it can do a
bunch
of tones and I use whatever tone is appropriate for the song, but for general use/jamming, I tend to use the Marshall JCM800 amp model more often than not.

how about you?

I find my self (on my Flextone) using the Plexi amp model, along with the JCM800 models. However, I've started playing around with the Blackface model quite a bit lately. With a slight delay, and some chorus...it sounds pretty sweet!

• Members

Vamp Pro through my PV and I can't decide which bc I have too many left to explore.

I put those tracks together in consecutive order like you suggested.

Not sure I want them heard after all the cutting I did bc there's little flow to the licks.

I had no idea editing would be so time consuming. :eek:

• Members

Vamp Pro through my PV and I can't decide which bc I have too many left to explore.

I put those tracks together in consecutive order like you suggested.

Not sure I want them heard after all the cutting I did bc there's little flow to the licks.

I had no idea editing would be so time consuming.
:eek:

wait till you start drum programming... :cry:

• Members

Right now my favorite tone is on my Vox AD30vt. I use the AC15 setting with the bass and mid set at 12 o'clock, the Treble about 2 o'clock and the gain around 11 o'clock.

I then stick a Bad Monkey in front of it with it set to the "punchy drive" setting in it's instruction.

Love that sound

• Members

Well, it depends on the modeler.. On my X3, it's the piezo.. But on the Toneport GX, it's the piezo.. On the other hand, the J-Station, I tend to really mix things up and go with either the flat top acoustic OR the roundback acoustic if I'm feeling spicy.....

heheheh Notice a trend? When I go gainy, it's usually through a Blackface model with my Ibanez Super Tube thrown in for a little SRV stank..

• Members

Well, it depends on the modeler.. On my X3, it's the piezo.. But on the Toneport GX, it's the piezo.. On the other hand, the J-Station, I tend to really mix things up and go with either the flat top acoustic OR the roundback acoustic if I'm feeling spicy.....

heheheh Notice a trend? When I go gainy, it's usually through a Blackface model with my Ibanez Super Tube thrown in for a little SRV stank..

hmmmm....I don't remember a roundback acoustic setting on my J-station...in fact the acoustic sound on the J never did it for me.......the blackface was pretty good,, the recto was great....but if I remember right I used the marshall master volume most......

On my zoom g7 I use the MS crunch religiously ....

• Members

I don't own a modeling amp, but with the Line 6 PODxt Live, and GuitarPort XT, I mainly use the JCM800 and Bassman models. With my Digitech RP250, I tend to use the '68 Plexi Lead 100 model along with the Tube Screamer pedal model or the '65 Blackface Twin. Then, I'll change cabinet models if I want to get a different sound.

• Members

On the X3 bean (and the Vetta or XT Live I had), I use the Twin Reverb for cleans almost 100% of the time, going into the 65 Blackface 2x12, 421 Dynamic Mic.

For crunch, Plexi Jump Lead or Marshall Silver Jubilee into the Greenback 25 4x12, SM-57 off axis.

For heavy rhythm, a combination of 5150 and Diamond Plate Mesa (both clean boosted with the Tube Screamer), going into the V30 4x12, SM57 off axis.

For lead, I like the Soldano X88R preamp sim boosted with the Boost & EQ stomp box, into the 4x12 V30 cab, SM57 off axis.

Post EQ always shelved below 60-80 hz and above 6.2 Khz (kill the fizz and the farting).

• Members

i have a vox valvetronix, 50 watt one (I know, should have gone up or down, but wanted some oomph without too much weight/size). I tend to use mostly the left side of the dial - probably mainly AC15 and AC30, but also sometimes black 2by12 and UK 70s.

Archived