Jeff Beck was on American Idol tonight!!

Anderton

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay. I'll bite.

How did they do that? I thought it would be on a video screen, and done the same way they did Hank Jr. and Hank Sr.'s, and Natalie and Nat King Cole's duet.

But it wasn't.

Creepy, yeah, but...it's starting to fulfill the prediction I made a decade ago. In a few years, we'll see NEW movies starring, say, Clark Gable and Renee Zellweger. Or George Clooney and Jean Harlowe. And we've (as apparent in this video) already taken steps to make it happen. I remember about 10 or so years ago, there were a series of new commercials with John Wayne (and he's been dead since like the late 70s). "Forrest Gump" was another example...and technology has advanced since then.

There was also the Steve McQueen / Ford Mustang commercial....

Oh, and Annie Lennox sure has one great set of pipes.

I'm not a big fan of American Idle - it reminds me too much of work and some of the self-delusional people who come through my door who are convinced they should be the next big thing when they really should be looking into careers as plumbers and accountants. ;) But my wife watches it, and I did watch enough of it to see Quincy Jones and Annie Lennox last night, and I totally agree that Annie is an amazing singer. Quincy looked good too. :cool: I also caught some EWF, but (apparently ) fortunately, I missed the rest of the show. Except for Jeff Beck - I wish I would have caught that - he's one of my favorite guitarists.

We did made a donation. I'd encourage everyone to check into participating in The ONE Campaign, which I feel is a very worthy organization. :)

• Members

Does Beck always play without a pick?

Most of the time. There a couple of fast tunes that he will use a pick on; but only once or twice per show.

I got one of his picks off the stage at the Detroit Opera house show and I gave it to my daughter. I told her it is rare because he only uses one or two per night.

• Members

Almost always - Yes.

If you listen to the way he often doesn the thumb and forefinger "counter-plucking" it obvious. The range of tone he sqeezes out (even in one given solo) shows how he uses his fingers to advantage. You cant do that with a pick. The tone is in his fingers.

FWIW- Building on what someone else said.. when i last saw Jeff play live his version of "A day in the life" left me "stunned". That was exactly the word i used to describe the feeling at the end of the concert. A previous poster used the very same word. I dont get that too often these days.

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uwvBizKAwc

:thu::thu:

Thank for this link. I have been listening to this version of Day in a Life for many years on George Martin's My Life album. It is a compilation of Beatles hits sung by the likes of Jim Carey, Goldie Hawn, Robin Williams, Celine Dion. Jim Carey does an incredible I am the Walrus. These songs use the original music tracks of the Beatles performances. The singers sounded like they were all having a great time with the project.

Jeff's Day in a Life is the best song on the album, but this new live performance is even better. He has had many years to develop it. The midi string stuff was being played by the other guitarist whose name I can't remember. She has been touring with him for several years now and is quite an accomplished guitarist herself. She does a lot of tapping in the background while Jeff does his stuff.

• Members
Yes, Jeff Beck, playing his Strat behind Kelly Clarkson. They just don't get any better than him. He was in "tasteful playing" mode, and he can do more with four notes than most people can do with 4,000. Tonight I was very, very grateful that my daughter's addicted to American Idol...

...until the "duet" with Elvis Presley and Celine Dion, possibly one of the creepiest and strangest moments in TV history. If you didn't see it, I won't say anything to cause disturbing images to appear in your mind
:)
If you did see it, I feel your pain.

Oh, and Annie Lennox sure has one great set of pipes. Damn. If they put her on to embarrass the "regular" contestants, they probably succeeded. And all hokiness and weirdness aside, congrats to American Idol for raising $30+ million to help kids in the US and Africa. Even though I thought that's what I was paying taxes for...oh, never mind.

The majority of your taxes are going to make bombs, a duet with Elvis and Celine sounds frightening and I'm very happy that I missed that, Annie Lennox is an incredibly gifted singer with a very rich voice, and I'm glad to hear Jeff Beck's playing guitar instead of tinkering with race car engines.

• Members

He didn't always, he decided to do that around about... '92? I think...

What's more important is how he uses his hand to shove the bridge; those microtonal flutters he does are wonderful.

The amazing thing is how this guy that claims to spend all of his time working on his hot rods manages to make the most progressive sounding and sublimely detailed music....

• Members

Jeff's
Day in a Life
is the best song on the album, but this new live performance is even better. He has had many years to develop it. The midi string stuff was being played by the other guitarist whose name I can't remember. She has been touring with him for several years now and is quite an accomplished guitarist herself. She does a lot of tapping in the background while Jeff does his stuff.

She is the lovely and talented Jennifer Batten.

• Members

He didn't always, he decided to do that around about... '92? I think...

What's more important is how he uses his hand to shove the bridge; those microtonal flutters he does are wonderful.

The amazing thing is how this guy that claims to spend all of his time working on his hot rods manages to make the most progressive sounding and sublimely detailed music....

His playing on "Where Were You" sends shivers up my spine. The bending,control,slide work etc. is on a level beyond the capabilities of mere mortals. So few notes, each one perfect.:love:

• Members

His playing on "Where Were You" sends shivers up my spine. The bending,control,slide work etc. is on a level beyond the capabilities of mere mortals. So few notes, each one perfect.
:love:

+1 for "Where Were You" - but there is no slide work here... It's all whammy. He can grab a harmonic around the 3rd fret, and then play a phrase with just the whammy bar - incredible...

• Members
I'm the odd man out here as Beck doesn't strike me as anything special at all.
:o

Anyone have a link to the Annie Lennox performance?
:)

Terry D.

Yes. This is one of the better ones I could find, even if the sound is a bit too artifacted.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KmrqMRoLhBQ

I shouldn't be doing these links, I didn't watch any of the special.

• Members

+1 for "Where Were You" - but there is no slide work here... It's all whammy. He can grab a harmonic around the 3rd fret, and then play a phrase with just the whammy bar - incredible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCH2NghYDas

I remember arguing about this with a friend of mine, he said "that's impossible to do with just a whammy", I thought it was but couldnt be 100% sure because it was just so perfect on the CD.So I've always wondered.

Seeing is believing. I think......:)

• Members
I'm the odd man out here as Beck doesn't strike me as anything special at all.
:o

I think largely because in current terms, perhaps he's best appreciated for his earlier contributions, which are in turn best appreciated in the context of the time in which they occurred.

In many ways, he's been surpassed. I always dug him, but it wasn't really 'til I listened closely to Joe Satriani that I heard..."Man, he's getting that all from Jeff Beck!!!" Now, put Beck and Satriani together, and one might at first say "Joe blows Jeff away"...but, in terms of "without Jeff, there might not have been a Joe", or, at least, Satriani wouldn't play the same way he does if not for Beck's influence.

But, if you force yourself to forget that players like Satriani, Vai, etc. ever EVER existed, push all of their music completely from your mind...go back to the early 70s and listen to Beck, then you'll appreciate him for the groundbreaker he is.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

the entire thing will be cg in 20 years. no need to photoshop elvises face onto an impersonater they will just have his bone structure scanned and put him next to the cg kelly clarkson or whoever else they made up by then. they will have to be hotter than her.

• Members

I think largely because in current terms, perhaps he's best appreciated for his earlier contributions, which are in turn best appreciated in the context of the time in which they occurred. . . .

But, if you force yourself to forget that players like Satriani, Vai, etc. ever EVER existed, push all of their music completely from your mind...go back to the early 70s and listen to Beck, then you'll appreciate him for the groundbreaker he is.

Well, there is that as well. However, I think Beck's talent goes way beyond mere groundbreaking :-). He has a musical knack and genius that is generally missed by those who judge him only on his recorded output or his, often awkward, pairings with various other guitar gods which are often aimed at making the guitar hero worshippers happy. This is the mantle that Satriani and Vai and so many others inherited. However, I feel Beck was never comfortable with that genre.

To those that wonder what the fuss is about I strongly encourage you to go check the man out live if you get the chance. Even on a bad night you will leave re-thinking lead guitar as a concept and if the stars align and he is at the top of his game, you will marvel that such beauty can be produced by a Fender guitar and a Marshall amp. I mean it! I'm as big a Vai and Satch fan as the next guitar wanker, but Beck is so beyond that.

Does anyone know if Jeff Beck has perfect pitch? His intonation is just so...so...perfect!

I started thinking the same thing after seeing him live the last couple of times. Both times he did one extended solo with a slide and whammy bar above the pickups playing, intricate micro-tonal melodies that just dropped my jaw. His intonation was perfect. If it had been anyone else, I would have accused them of using auto-tune. His ear was so quick that there were several points where you could scarcely hear him sliding into a pitch. He went from playing rapid, micro-tonal phrases to this lugubrious, errie melody that made the hair on my arms stand up.This is not the stuff that impresses the shredder crowd but . . . it was the single-greatest electric guitar performance I have ever seen.

Wayne

• Members

I can't agree with anyone that says Jeff Beck is the greatest electric guitar player in the world.

I can also not agree that there is anybody better.

A lot of us never got to see Hendrix.
Jeff is still here, so go see him. He da man.

• Members

A word about Kelly Clarkson. I've come to believe that she is one of the finer young vocalists around these days. Forget what she does to make her check. Reba asked her to perform one of Reba's own songs on the first "CMT Country Giants" which was a tribute to Reba's. Kelly's voice was defined, on key, poised and very mature for a lady of her age. She upstaged many of the the country legends including Faith Hill. Only Martina McBride's performance rivaled Kelly's. If that's not enough, catch the lady singing the old classics from the forties sometime. It's amazing. She's is the real deal. We will see that more and more as time passes.

• Members
Don't care much for either, but I'd go with the steak.
:confused:

Terry D.

Understandable.

The appreciation of sushi is in the refinement of subtleties, layers of detail in texture and flavor. It doesn't hit you over the head with the first bite, although the perception of good sushi is quite a heady experience.

Steak is something you want to experience from the instance of the first bite, right? What you want is right there, plain to see.

It's just a different thing.

Archived