Do NOT buy Native Instruments software.

m127

• Members

After this response, I will never purchase any NI software that Craig Anderton personally and solely programs! I mean it! I really do!

Yeah! Go get 'em! To show my solidarity, I also promise never to purchase any NI software that I've personally and solely programmed! In fact, I also promise never to purchase all kinds of things! Please go to http://www.endlesslistofthingsIwillnotpurchase.com for the complete list. It should only take an hour or two to download with standard DSL.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The link doesn't work for me...I will never again purchase any software that makes joke links result in a page not found error. I won't be downloading any open source software that doesn't have a sense of humor. And I'm on dial-up, anyway.

:mad:

• Members

Can't spend anymore time on this subject(page 2) but I'm sorry I voted No, but twas just to see the result of the poll...the whole thing seemed a bit Twilight Zoneish, though who knows. Did it get a happy ending?

• Members

I'm not sure if I understood this story. But one thing seems to be clear, at the end the problem was solved in no time.

The activation issue has been finally fixed.

The tell and spread rumor by m127 here, and his idea of creating pressure toward the NI company with his actions, is ineffective, almost choleric. One should always stay calm for practical reasons in business. Getting agressive doesn't lead anywhere, but is destructive for both sides. Happily for m127 that the otherwise fine company is not choleric too...

• Members

nice 50cent word... but he did say it has been months up until the point of him ranting about the company all over. seemed to get them off their asses and solved his problem in a manner he preferred. i think there are lessons on BOTH sides to be learned here.

• Members

I do not think that a company with hundred thousand clients realizes the pressure a single client is creating. No, I don't think m127's declamation was the reason that this problem was solved in the end. I think the problem could have been solved on the first telephone call, it just didn't happen for some unknown reason, maybe the bug had to be fixed first.

I have many NI products, and the activation is maybe a little more time consuming then with other companies. But a phone call always solved an activation problem, NI simply found my adress in their registration, and emailed me all I had to know to activate the product in no time.

• Members

see above, 1 happy customer=2, 1 unhappy=10... this holds fairly true.

personally, i am so over CP schemes. i think it costs more to implement than piracy takes away for the end user... i dont own any NI stuff yet, so i cant really comment on their activation. but i do own a LOT of software, most costing far more than anything NI offers with seemingly less intrusive CP [mostly simple serials]. i own software from MANY industries and the audio industry seems to be the most paranoid. i have had to deal with other CP schemes from companies of key codes but transfers to new machines went fairly well... but its still a hassle. and there is no proof its ANY form of deterrant, so it really does seem like a pointless exercise in insanity.

• Members

Microsoft is just as paranoid about Office and other products...they just have a more elegant interface for authorization than NI.

At least part of the problem also is the constant updating/upgrading/adding new VSTs to Komplete. This is a double-edged issue. If they could just boil Komplete down to one single super-duper whopper of an install program, that might help.

But for the price break Komplete offers on all that oh-so-juicy-and-tasty software, I'll put up with the hassle.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Wow... I usually don't chime in on these discussions at all.. but working in the communications industry, the offer to refund you for what wasn't working is an awesome resolution as they actually took your frustration over the experience and the problems into account. Most companies, especially bigger ones, will not do that. I wouldn't take that as "hush" money at all but more a, "I'm sorry you're unhappy and we couldn't resolve it for you. Here is what you invested and I hope we can make things better the next go around." type of thing.

IMHO.. you were being an ass from the beginning. You are expecting software and customer support utopia. It's not going to happen. Especially with your mentality.

• Members

I'm not seeing the big deal. It's a rant about a product. He had a problem, he's pissed about it, and he wanted to warn others that their customer support isn't very good at fixing these problems. He bought it, it doesn't work, they can't make it work. End of story. Makes sense to me.

• Members

Maybe you are confusing people who "like NI" with people who "don't have problems".
:idea:

Yeah, but how do you define "problem"? Technically, you can say I had problems, but in one case it was a server being down - hey, that can happen to anyone - so I guess that's a "problem" but in the grand scheme of things, I just waited a few hours, server came back up, "problem" solved.

The other problem came about because of internet problems at Qwest's end (my internet provider). So again, technically speaking I had a problem with registration, but I wouldn't blame it on NI unless you position is that ultimately it's NI's fault because they depend on the net for their registration protocol.

Any lack of user-friendliness with NI's scheme pales compared to real problems I've had in the past with Syncrosoft and iLok. At least all my NI stuff works, registered the way it was supposed except for the issues mentioned above, and never damaged anything.

• Members

I'm not seeing the big deal. It's a rant about a product. He had a problem, he's pissed about it, and he wanted to warn others that their customer support isn't very good at fixing these problems. He bought it, it doesn't work, they can't make it work. End of story. Makes sense to me.

The Big Deal is that he spammed a lot of forums to draw attention to his problem, but his statements were high on drama and low on factual info, so the people here couldn't actually help him. Also, as I researched the other threads, he insisted that tech support do things his way, tried to install a product over two computers, changed components that changed the system ID, and made some really uncalled for remarks speculating that tech support wanted his number not so they could be more efficient in taking care of his needs, but because someone there was gay and wanted to find him.

It doesn't surprise me that customer service would not be very good at fixing these kinds of problems...i doubt it's the kind of situation with which they have much experience. Of course, the ultimate irony is that it was fixed with an hour of instant messaging...and probably could have been fixed over the phone in 10 minutes. And what was most frustrating about this whole episode is that the customer never mentioned what the solution was in case others experienced the same problem. In other words, he used the forum to vent and promote his own cause, but gave nothing back in return for the opportunity to use this platform, and nothing back to the people who graciously tried to help.

And just to end on a cheery note, expect software/hardware incompatibilities/problems to get much, much worse in the years ahead. These systems have reached a level of complexity where I believe the economics of the music industry aren't sufficient to deal with that level complexity, nor are end users. Have a nice day!

• Members

I've purposefully avoided this thread like the plague, but I will tell you ALL: speaking from the manufacturer's viewpoint, the squeaky wheel does NOT get the grease. This guy's actions were so out of line, it makes me ill. I guarantee his problem would have been solved with a little better communication on his behalf from the beginning, and his spamming this crap over 20 different forums did not help his situation at all.

Treat a manufacturer like your friend, and see how far they go out of their way to help you. If I were in charge of NI, I would have made absolutely sure this guy's money was returned and he be considered persona non grata from that point on. His information was faulty and defamatory, not to mention indefensibly overdramatic.

I think it speaks highly of Native Instruments that they were willing to help him after everything he did. I will be more likely to buy their products as a result.

• Members

Gnash, the way you are trying to manipulate is amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by temnov

I bought Komplete 3 and I loved that. I installed that on the custom-made ADK computer and didn't have any troubles until they changed their activation system. After that I had a small problem with updates but it was fixed almost on spot after my e-mail to them.

So you are saying that you had problems.

You can say so, technically but then you have a problem. You sound like a very bad version of mother-in-law. No matter what young wife is trying to do she always will be wrong ..

• Members

But it helped me.
:)

I am better off knowing that some folks have trouble with NI, than I am not knowing.

Yeah? Are you better off knowing that SOME folks have trouble with EVERY SINGLE manufacturer out there that ever existed? I believe your solution, sir, would be to never purchase music or audio products again. You know, to avoid trouble.

While you're at it, maybe you should avoid any product that anyone has ever had difficulty using to its full potential. You sure are lucky you have the Internet to warn you about the bad things life has to offer you. Oh joyous day! Praise you, m127!

• Members

Yeah, but how do you define "problem"? Technically, you can say I had problems, but in one case it was a server being down - hey, that can happen to anyone - so I guess that's a "problem" but in the grand scheme of things, I just waited a few hours, server came back up, "problem" solved..

wait a second, what happens when the server goes down forever? [say they go bankrupt or something, or bought out and shelved by the competition] you software is USELESS. that is absolutely the WORST CP there can possibly be.

• Members

Microsoft is just as paranoid about Office and other products...they just have a more elegant interface for authorization than NI.

you have GOT to be kidding me... i have installed Office and other MS products over hundreds of computers that i maintain. i cant give anything but praise to how EASY it is to install, reinstall, move, and generally get Office up and running on machines. i have even spoken with MS on the phone regarding a lost ProductID code and it was a big "NO PROBLEM! let me help you get it working"

people can gripe all they want about MS, but they do have great customer service. their support pages are killer [if you know how to use them] and despite the gripes from people regarding component changes and validity, i have changed machines out more times that MJ has changed his face and they never ONCE gave me issue with the OS CP.

NI sounds like a PITA, but it least its not iLok.

Archived