Belated NGD Pics, Part 1 (Danelectro, Fenix, Vintage)

ArKay

• Members

Haven't taken any pics of my last purchases so here's the first batch of stuff I've bought over the last half year or so.

First is a Vintage Advance AV6PLB. Vintage is a UK brand created by Trevor Wilkinson. I had always wanted to get a P90 strat and this one fits the bill perfectly.

The guitar was made in Vietnam (a first for me) and I'm quite impressed with the build quality. The only minor flaw this guitar has is the vibrato. It has a Wilkinson vibrato with a pop-in arm which comes off too easily when doing bends. I can live with that though since I don't use it at all (that's why the arm is not pictured). The vibrato unit itself stays in tune pretty well and has a pretty solid steel block.

The guitar weighs a little more than a standard strat clone, but it's bearable. The fretwork is outstanding

I added string trees and replaced the creme P90 covers with white ones.

• Members

Next is a Young Chang Fenix tele from the mid-90s (as far as I can tell). Young Chang also used to make the Korean Squier line for Fender in the late 80s to early 90s. Since the Fenix guitars were too similar to the Fender models they had to stop production eventually due to licensing problems. They made some very fine instruments so I always have my eyes on them.

Country of Manufacture Korea

Year 1995/6

Construction Bolt-on

Body Alder, Birdseye Maple Top

Neck/Fingerboard One-Piece Maple

Nut Bone

No. of Frets 21

Scale 25 1/2"

Inlays Black Dot

Hardware Gold

Pickguard 3-ply White

Finish Transparent Red

Controls 1 x Volume, 1 x Tone, 3-way Pickup Selector

tc20r_001.jpg

tc20r_002.jpg

tc20r_003.jpg

tc20r_004.jpg

tc20r_005.jpg

tc20r_006.jpg

tc20r_007.jpg

• Members

And here's a Danelectro '59 in Burgundy finish. :)

Country of Manufacture China

Year 2007

Construction Bolt-on

Body Plywood with Masonite Back and Top, Creme Binding Tape

Neck/Fingerboard Maple, C Shape

Nut Metal, 1.65"

No. of Frets 21

Scale 25"

Inlays Silver Dot

Hardware Nickel

Pickguard Pressed Particle (Black with Creme Top)

Finish Burgundy

Controls 1 x Volume, 1 x Tone, 3-way Pickup Selector

dano59_001.jpg

dano59_002.jpg

dano59_003.jpg

dano59_004.jpg

dano59_005.jpg

dano59_006.jpg

dano59_007.jpg

dano59_008.jpg

dano59_009.jpg

• Members

The neck heel on the Vintage is interesting...

It goes deeper into the body and the neck pickup is mounted on it. :)

Edit: Some pics I took a while ago...

av6plb_009.jpgav6plb_010.jpg

Stacked P90...

av6plb_011.jpg

• Members

Nice trio Arkay. The Vintage is pure guitar Erotica. Hows the action on the Dano?

A little higher than I'm used to actually. I don't have a ruler here at the moment, but I'd love to bring it down by a millimeter or so. I lowered the bridge as far as I could go without getting too much fret buzz. The neck has zero relief at the moment so there's most likely room for improvement.

• Members

I especially like the looks of the Vintage and the Dano. The Tele *should* be great, but that red body and gold hardware don't quite do it for me.

How does the Vintage play? P90s (even fake humbucking ones) seem more and more attractive on a strat-type to me.

• Members

I especially like the looks of the Vintage and the Dano. The Tele *should* be great, but that red body and gold hardware don't quite do it for me.

How does the Vintage play? P90s (even fake humbucking ones) seem more and more attractive on a strat-type to me.

I can't help it, I love the bling! ;)

The Vintage is a great instrument and it's all I play at the moment. :D The Wilkinson P90s are not bad at all and the 3rd pot can be used to go from single-coil to humbucking mode, but IMHO it's pretty useless at that since the pot is too sensitive so it's either split or un-split anyway. The pickups are usable in both modes and of course give a much fuller sound when un-split.

I love the neck.. it has little finish on the back and is very smooth. Fun guitar!

They have clips and reviews here...

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageadvance.html

• Members

Great pictures, Arkay! You're giving Mazi a run for his money. Nice guitars, too.
:thu:

HNGD x 3!

Thanks :wave: Weather is a bitch though with the sun dis- and reappearing every few minutes which makes it difficult to get sharp pics. :lol:

Archived