Rewiring a semi-hollow (long)

_pete_

• Members

beautiful, nice work!

how much did it cost you?

The pickup set was $98 (I should get most of that back by selling the Seth Lover).

The pots, caps, jack, switch, wire, and pickguard was around $75.

I need to replace the bridge next just to finish the thing off. I'll get around to it soon.

• Members

Awesome!!

I'd love to see a video or pics of exactly how you fish all the parts through with string once they're all soldered together.

I don't think I could do it. :cry:

I'd probably get pissed off and end up smashing the guitar!

So you say those Tonerider pickups are the best you've tried so far?

I may have to look into those sometime.

Great job Pete!! :thu:

• Members

Awesome!!

I'd love to see a video or pics of exactly how you fish all the parts through with string once they're all soldered together.

I don't think I could do it.
:cry:

I'd probably get pissed off and end up smashing the guitar!

So you say those Tonerider pickups are the best you've tried so far?

I may have to look into those sometime.

Great job Pete!!
:thu:

I was so busy fishing the pots through the guitar I didn't take any pics. I thought I was screwed when the CTS pots wouldn't fit through the f-hole.

Yep. I bought the Toneriders for the Epi LP cause they were cheap and had good reviews. I figure if they suck I can sell them here.

I was shocked by how good they were. There is no way I thought cheap pups could sound so good. Ok maybe, but not this good.

Hell they just replaced a Duncan Seth Lover and not because they sound as good, it's because they sound better. The 57 Classics in the Edwards are lookin' over their shoulder now.

Since you have about 1000 LP's, you should try a set. I'd like to hear your opinion since you have such a good ear for tone. This Alnico IV set is perfect classic rock tone.

• Members

Hey pete, thanks for the inspiration. That guitar looks great! I'm booked to rewire my old Japanese archtop this summer. I had come up with the same plan to fish the components through the f-holes. Glad to hear it works. By chance, I had just ordered a set of Toneriders for that job. :thu:

• Members

It would be way, way easier to rewire a semihollow with Trini Lopez style f-holes (diamonds). In my experience, the hard part is getting the finished harness through the f-hole and getting the pots/jack/switch in their holes, an extra cm or 2 of width on the f-hole would really make it easier.

• Members

Absolutely love it, bet it sounds great.

Ok, one question - I put a pair of Tonerider Generators in my Epi Les Paul (love them) and have a nice Semi-Hollow I want to swap out PuPs, trying decide between yours and the Rocksongs, what would be the difference you think?

Thanks.

• Members

Absolutely love it, bet it sounds great.

Ok, one question - I put a pair of Tonerider Generators in my Epi Les Paul (love them) and have a nice Semi-Hollow I want to swap out PuPs, trying decide between yours and the Rocksongs, what would be the difference you think?

Thanks.

I don't know. The Rocksongs are right in the middle between the ACIV's and the Generators in output.

Both the sets I have sound great. The Generators don't sound overly hot and the ACIV's definitely don't sound weak.

I like the ACIV's in the Sheraton though. I think a lower output pup lets the "hollowbodiness" come through.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Isn't there a large hole through from the bridge pickup cavity? I pull the entire harness through there on my 335. The full-sized CTS pot don't fit through the f-holes, that's for sure.

site1053.jpg
site1052.jpg

I wish. On Sheratons there is only a small hole for the pup wires to pass through.
You had it easy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Very nice job. One thing you convinced me of for sure is that I now never intend to rewire my hollow body.

+1. I really want to put some P90s into my Schecter Corsair (semi-hollow) but I just don't have the technical skills or patience to pull it off. Guess I'm just going to have to pay someone else to do it :cry:

• Members
+1. I really want to put some P90s into my Schecter Corsair (semi-hollow) but I just don't have the technical skills or patience to pull it off. Guess I'm just going to have to pay someone else to do it
:cry:

You can get a great set of P90s in Humbucker size from BG Pups (Pure 90s). Changing the pups is no big deal. Changing out the entire harness is harder but still easy to do.

• Members

You can get a great set of P90s in Humbucker size from BG Pups (Pure 90s). Changing the pups is no big deal. Changing out the entire harness is harder but still easy to do.

Its currently wired with a push-pull for coil-tapped HBs, would that make a difference?

Plus, I figure if its worth changing the pups its worth rewiring completely...

• Members

I just noticed this thread popped up again today.

The last part of this guitar should be coming any day now.

Atrox got me a great price on a new, gold bridge identical to the Lifeson 355 bridge.

After I get that done, all my guitars will be finished.

I'm gonna get bored.

Archived