NGD!

gatorwing

• Members

Not actually today, got this on May 25 (over the Memorial Day weekend).

It had been bought for 12 year old boy, but he didn't get intersted in playing the guitar as he is a piano player.

Its a Squier Affinity Strat and a Peavy Transtube Rage 158 amp. Plays fantastic and love the tone.

I don't like the strings on it; I don't like the way they feel. It comes with Fender .009 series, but it has Fender .011 series on it. Any recommendations for strings to put on it?

I do love playing this guitar!

guitar1.jpg

• Members

I tried Slinkies but They Would not hold a tuning. I use D'addario exl's and They stay in tune even if I hang them on a wall for six months, I can come bask, and play it and it is still in tune. BTW I bought a MIM strat, and the first Thing I had to do was get rid of the crappy strings on it. Then it played very well.:blah:

Love the Maple neck

• Members

Slinkies stay in tune well for me, d'Addarios always break for me. Just one of those things that you'll have to figure out from trial and error.

Just a side note though, changing gauges will mess with the neck relief, the tuning stability at the nut and even possibly the intonation, not to mention the mess at the tremolo with the spring tension. Unless you get it set up for the right gauge string I would go with what it came with.

• Members

Just a side note though, changing gauges will mess with the neck relief, the tuning stability at the nut and even possibly the intonation, not to mention the mess at the tremolo with the spring tension. Unless you get it set up for the right gauge string I would go with what it came with.

Good point.

I will check with a local guitar shop.

It did come originally with the .009.

• Members

HNGD, you should be able to go with 10s [from 9s] without a hassle, as you have been using 11s that may be an idea. Ernie Ball, Rotosound and d'addario are better strings than fender bullets,IMO. Getting the right strings on a strat is crucial, just make sure they are pulled up way tight into the trem block, seating well.

Archived