Cracked finish on strat - common?

J.L.C.

• Members

I bought an MIA strat about a month ago, and since then it seems like the finish has developed a crack near the neck pocket.

It hasn't left my apartment, seen sun, or any temp/humidity changes. Hasn't had any string changes or set-up adjustments either.

Is this common at all? Would the warranty cover something like this? Kinda odd to just have it go outta nowhere

IMG_0055Medium.jpg

• Members

You're lucky. Mine came with drips. :cry:

It's still the {censored}, as far as sound goes. I've been picking at the drip spots, so it doesn't have drip spots anymore. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, so hopefully the ex-drip spots will look relic in the future. Either way, that guitar is staying put!

• Members

I emailed fender about it, I wonder if this is something they'll repair under warranty.....

If you like the guitar, I'd forget about it, not that big a deal. If you have the guitar for years, it won't make any difference. If it was a hardware issue, or electronics issue, I'd care. Otherwise, the only issue I ever had with a Fender product was taken care of in less than two weeks. i have no personal problems with Fender.

• Members

I emailed fender about it, I wonder if this is something they'll repair under warranty.....

I wouldn't bother. Why separate yourself from the guitar for who knows how long just to repair something that is just going to happen again. It is a stress crack caused by the pressure of the screws along with seasonal expansion and contraction.

• Members

what exactly are drips?
:confused:

as the guitar body was hung to dry, the finish collected in drips at the base of the guitar, where the strap button is. Or, bubbles formed during the drying process. I tried to post pics a long time ago, but it was hard to photo. But now there is a four inch long, half centimeter wide strip of no finish where the drips/bubbles used to be.

Out of all the possible flaws one could get on a guitar, I don't really mind these. Just kinda disappointing that I spent extra for a transparent finish, on an ash body, on a $1300 guitar, and someone didn't bother to fix the drips. Maybe the guy who painted my guitar had the drips that day!:p

• Members

mine. Came with drips, didn't develop drips. I've since removed them with my fingernail. not a single crack

Don't assume you won't eventually have stress cracking. The strat/tele's bolt on heel is a horrible design from a mechanical perspective, and the paint fails on it because of that. That joint is under constant pressure to move, and once it does, the finish shows it. I've never seen a strat more than 5 years old that doesn't have those stress cracks, my own MIM included.

• Members
Don't assume you won't eventually have stress cracking. The strat/tele's bolt on heel is a horrible design from a mechanical perspective, and the paint fails on it because of that. That joint is under constant pressure to move, and once it does, the finish shows it. I've never seen a strat more than 5 years old that doesn't have those stress cracks, my own MIM included.

Yeah I remember the first time I saw them on mine, I thought I had done it somehow, but it just happens on all of them.

• Members

Mine's six years old and not a crack on it. Just finish flaws, dings, and the places where I been picking at it.

Archived