Whats wrong with some people?

NOS68

• Members

This is pretty good explanation.

From dictionary.com:

Which is correct: I could care less or I couldn't care less?

The expression
I could not care less
originally meant 'it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all'. It was originally a British saying and came to the US in the 1950s. It is senseless to transform it into the now-common
I could care less
. If you
could
care less, that means you care at least a little. The original is quite sarcastic and the other form is clearly nonsense. The inverted form
I could care less
was coined in the US and is found only here, recorded in print by 1966. The question is, something caused the negative to vanish even while the original form of the expression was still very much in vogue and available for comparison - so what was it? There are other American English expressions that have a similar sarcastic inversion of an apparent sense, such as
Tell me about it!
, which usually means 'Don't tell me about it, because I know all about it already'. The Yiddish
I should be so lucky!
, in which the real sense is often 'I have no hope of being so lucky', has a similar stress pattern with the same sarcastic inversion of meaning as does
I could care less

That doesn't really make sense, either. It's not a strong enough statement to really be sarcastic, and I don't think most people are intending to be sarcastic when the use the nonsensical version, really.

• Members

My little pet peeve is when on those threads, like the SPAM thread, that folks have to ask a question or post a comment by hitting the
button.

I mean dang, folks, those threads can be hard enough to download and wade through without all that unnecessary replicating of OP pics. Use the PMs please.

I hear you man!

• Members
Actually, "I could NOT care less" is correct and "I could care less" is incorrect, but the incorrect form has become a kind of idiom. Though incorrect, it has become accepted.

Correct. :thu:

"I could care less" is saying that there is still some caring left.

"I couldn't care less" is saying that you're all out of giving a {censored}.

• Members

No, there the correct phrasing would be "Who COULD give a {censored}?" Implying that most people COULDN'T give a {censored}. But even that's not great, as they COULD give a {censored}, were they of the mind; what's really meant is that they WOULDN'T. So, to sum up, the proper phrasing, in its most elegant form: "Who'd give a {censored}?"

• Members
Not to bitch to much but.....We get the Hot Deals thread cleaned up like we asked for and the rules re-posted right up front. Yet a few seem to think its still a good place to chat. Hell even after Mazi posts to keep the chatter out the next 4 posts are bs. I say give the repeat offenders a temp ban, anybody else?

Ok, sorry I asked a question on that thread.:cop::cop::cop::poke::freak::confused:

• Members

I like Mazi's solution of swooping in and plucking out the offending bit (H&K chattter), but don't know if it's realistic to expect that sort of oversight in the future.

I think some "hot or not" discussion should be allowed in the Hot Deals thread, because without it posters won't do their homework and "not"s will accumulate, and the pros and cons should be laid bare (to some extent) for noobies (myself included) as well. Also, I think that the Q&A about what is actually included in the deal should be allowed, though it should be kept as unobtrusive as possible.

On the other hand, the UPS bitchfest started out borderline and veered off into ridiculous, and the politics should've never happened. But people {censored} up (myself included), plain and simple, and to beat them relentlessly over something so trivial seems silly.

A potential solution: whenever the chatter's getting out of hand the offended could politely (or not!) suggest that the participants "get a room", with the understanding that participants called out in such a fashion will start a new thread. :idk:

Or there's always the scroll wheel/track - that's been my solution, because personally I couldn't give a {censored}. :deadhorse::wave:

Archived