Prince Banning Cell phones at his concerts/performance.

audioicon

• Members

Huh?
:confused:

you basically are saying it doesnt bother you if you are onstage having others take pictures, but as an audience member you find them bothersome. opposing opinions by virtue of circumstance. im just saying, commit to one side or the other.

personally, i dont find it bothersome as an audience member... but im kind of tall. i could as a person be considered bothersome to shorter people blocking their view.

and fwiw, i did get kicked out of a show once for simply talking. the show sucked anyway... but ran into the band later that night and they couldnt believe i got kicked out.

• Members

you basically are saying it doesnt bother you if you are onstage having others take pictures, but as an audience member you find them bothersome. opposing opinions by virtue of circumstance. im just saying, commit to one side or the other.

I was talking from the performer's side, but I was trying to see it from a fan's perspective. That's not narcissism, it's called "following the golden rule." As a performer, if people are taking pictures, I'm not going to get bent out of shape about them violating copyright laws because I know that bums fans out. But if people are being rude and bothering others by taking pictures, I'd rather not allow it - and it seems cell phones bring out the rudeness factor. I did "commit" - I'd rather not have them there. I just have a different reason for it than Prince, apparently.

Maybe I'd try to work it out to where there was a "photo taking zone" where people could take turns going up there and getting some shots, since many people have apparently forgotten or never knew how to do that on their own. I think that would make a lot of fans happy, as the ones who want pics can get good pics up close, and those who don't want to be bothered by cameras and cellphones won't be.

• Members

Wow - would you also buy a book simply because of the publisher, or the paper it's printed on?

Honestly, I feel a bit sad for you.

Come on now don't be stupid, When the sound track of Waiting to Exhale was released, I don't know some of the artist on there and for sure I loved the songs even though I didn't know who the singers were.

But the sound track was produced by Baby Face and mixed by Jon Gass. I love his production.

A lot of people listen to music by listening to it's entirety or as "whole"

I like to listen to every detail, every pan instrument, every little metal, every breath. It makes you enjoy the music and in my opinion these breath taking production are performed by many producers and engineers.

So you damn right, when I see a song produced/engineered by Bruce, I'll definitely wanna give it a listen regardless of the artist.

A book is different, but a movie is a perfect example. I'll definitely have an interest in a movie if it was directed by one of my favorite directors regardless of the actor.

It's call personal preference! Just in case it's not something you are use to. :D

AI

• Members

You can "prefer" whatever you like. I can appreciate great production too - but the whole reason I even got into the business was for the music, not production values. I believe that, more often than not, the best work done by a producer and engineer should be transparent - their job is to bring out the best (and produce the best possible rendition) of an artist's work. Their fingerprints should not be obvious. Sure, there's a place for studying someone's production techniques - but buying a CD simply because Bruce Swedien worked on it kind of misses the point of what he was probably trying to do in the first place: bring forth the best representation of what the artist was doing.

As to the movie analogy, it's the same thing: a movie might have amazing production values, & be worth a case study, but if the acting & the story aren't moving, I'd find it far be less interesting than a simple film with a good story. I don't want to go to the movies to study CGI and camera angles - I want to be moved.

• Members

You can "prefer" whatever you like. I can appreciate great production too - but the whole reason I even got into the business was for the music, not production values. I believe that, more often than not, the best work done by a producer and engineer should be transparent - their job is to bring out the best (and produce the best possible rendition) of an artist's work. Their fingerprints should not be obvious. Sure, there's a place for studying someone's production techniques - but buying a CD simply because Bruce Swedien worked on it kind of misses the point of what he was probably trying to do in the first place: bring forth the best representation of what the
artist
was doing.

As to the movie analogy, it's the same thing: a movie might have amazing production values, & be worth a case study, but if the acting & the story aren't moving, I'd find it far be less interesting than a simple film with a good story. I don't want to go to the movies to study CGI and camera angles - I want to be moved.

I'm not studying the music. Maybe I liked the way the Congas sound in the left speaker. That little shaker that explodes in the middle.

AI

• Members

I think if you're aspiring to be a producer it makes sense to buy music based on production values but I also think what makes these producers so great are their musical instincts. They may not necessarily know to say 'You should play an A9 there instead of that A7" but they will have the instincts to know a more open voicing will work better.

I'm not presuming that you don't know a lot about music or that you don't study music but I think those skills are just as important as knowing production tricks when you want to be a producer.

Wow - would you also buy a book simply because of the publisher, or the paper it's printed on?

Honestly, I feel a bit sad for you.

I don't know.. while it might not be the main attraction, I can somewhat understand this. Sure, while the emotion of the performance and the song are the main attractions, I can still appreciate a well engineered recording, regardless of the quality of those other essential elements. An analogy: I can appreciate the cinematography of a movie, even if I'm not crazy about the story line or the acting. It's not enough to make it a "good" movie for me, but I can still appreciate it when one thing is well done, even if other things are not well done. :)

• Members

I think if you're aspiring to be a producer it makes sense to buy music based on production values but I also think what makes these producers so great are their musical instincts. They may not necessarily know to say 'You should play an A9 there instead of that A7" but they will have the instincts to know a more open voicing will work better.

I'm not presuming that you don't know a lot about music or that you don't study music but I think those skills are just as important as knowing production tricks when you want to be a producer.

Well this thread is going way off coarse like an airplane missing it's run way but it's still an interesting topic.

Over twenty years ago I listen to Michael Jackson Thriller Album. I did not look at production credits, didn't care. All I heard was a great album, good singer and thats it. Then I started paying more attention to the detail of the music and I realize that instead of just hearing the drum, bass and singer on the record, there were also panning, delays, percussion, and all these elements that makes the songs a great one.

So yes, I'm into music engineering and production but to me this has nothing to do with it because I started paying attention way before I wanted to do production. Say I hear a song, the artist is not really giving me the chills but the production is just great.

Like when I listen to Celine Dion, I'm just amazed by the "space" and the orchestration, it makes you appreciate music more then just listening to it as a whole. But every body is different.

So even if I listen to Bruce or Baby Face, I'm paying attention to how much life they will inject into a production/performance.

Today when I listen to Thriller, I can hear different things and see the album as a work of "Mechanisms" everything has it's own duty and time.

AI

• Members

Well this thread is going way off coarse like an airplane missing it's run way but it's still an interesting topic.

Over twenty years ago I listen to Michael Jackson Thriller Album. I did not look at production credits, didn't care. All I heard was a great album, good singer and thats it. Then I started paying more attention to the detail of the music and I realize that instead of just hearing the drum, bass and singer on the record, there were also panning, delays, percussion, and all these elements that makes the songs a great one.

So yes, I'm into music engineering and production but to me this has nothing to do with it because I started paying attention way before I wanted to do production. Say I hear a song, the artist is not really giving me the chills but the production is just great.

Like when I listen to Celine Dion, I'm just amazed by the "space" and the orchestration, it makes you appreciate music more then just listening to it as a whole. But every body is different.

So even if I listen to Bruce or Baby Face, I'm paying attention to how much life they will inject into a production/performance.

Today when I listen to Thriller, I can hear different things and see the album as a work of "Mechanisms" everything has it's own duty and time.

AI

Sounds like me. I started out being into music because I liked the song/artist, period, but once I found out what producers do, production became more and more fascinating to me.

Walter Afanasieff was my idol growing up. I also loved Babyface, David Foster, Keith Thomas, basically all those keyboard based producers that did it all. Studying their tracks really taught me a lot about musical arrangements and production. It's hard now to explain to people why I was listening to Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, and Peabo Bryson as a teen, but back then, the production was the main attraction for me. Not so much anymore, but I still appreciate a good production.

Now, my musical tastes have changed quite a lot, and I can't really stomach for very long the whole style of music in which those producers seemed to favor, but I'll always draw from what I learned listening to it.

Yeah--this thread is veering into a completely different direction, but I find this topic to be way more interesting.

• Members

Sound production and music are two seperate mediums that happen to greatly overlap.

Saying that you're a tool if you like production more than music is stupid and closed minded.

Production is a whole nother instrument beyond the music it is portraying. Live with it and get off this guy's back.

Also Prince still has more talent in his rumored to be huge tool than everyone in this thread has in their left nut. Call him a has been if you want, has been is a term used by people ruled by mass media.

• Moderators

So when do you find out that your cell phone is banned? When you buy the tickets or when you show up to the show? If it's the latter and you're a parent with young kids being watched by a babysitter, there ain't no way you're getting that parent's cell phone. Is the venue going to refund the money on the spot? There are some real issues with banning people's ability to communicate.

• Members

So when do you find out that your cell phone is banned? When you buy the tickets or when you show up to the show? If it's the latter and you're a parent with young kids being watched by a babysitter, there ain't no way you're getting that parent's cell phone. Is the venue going to refund the money on the spot? There are some real issues with banning people's ability to communicate.

Well, People like Prince are masters of Proprietary. You make a product, you sell a product and you want to tell people how to use your product regardless of their personal taste.

AI

• Members

It would be no different than showing up with a camera. You would either have to take it to the car or it would be confiscated. That said, it's really not that hard to take in something like that as long as you don't start using it.

It would probably be more a matter of booting people if they start using the phones to take pictures and junk than security 'searching' you or something.

• Moderators
It would be no different than showing up with a camera. You would either have to take it to the car or it would be confiscated.

That's why I suggested it would depend on when they let you know about the ban. If I have a 6 month old and a 3 year old at home with a fairly new baby sitter, and they didn't let me know before I showed up to the venue for the show, they're giving me my money back. You can't ban a doctor who's on call 24/7 from taking in his cell phone so he can be paged. It's a public service and safety issue that far outweighs Prince's right to be a clown. A cell phone is quite a bit different than a camera.

• Members

Maybe I'd try to work it out to where there was a "photo taking zone" where people could take turns going up there and getting some shots, since many people have apparently forgotten or never knew how to do that on their own. I think that would make a lot of fans happy, as the ones who want pics can get good pics up close, and those who don't want to be bothered by cameras and cellphones won't be.

is that kind of like a smoking section?

i was commenting on how your opinion varied from stage to audience perspective. :poke: in good fun.

i dont get bent either way about it. its part of society today. i dont care about people talking on cell phones either pretty much anywhere except a movie or [if i ever went to one] some classical concert... restaurants never bother me. hell, very little with cell phones bother me.

• Members

Somewhere, in the HC backlog, three is a tale of me waiting all day in G.A. line with my insulin dependent, rampant Green Day loving son, with a freezer bag with supplies in it. We were 3rd in line, then got in only to have to wait in another, uncontrolled line to get a GA arm band AFTER signing a waiver saying that if me or my kid collapsed during a concert, no one would help. they were also not going to allow the supplies in, even though I had called the venue (The Palace in Auburn Hills) 2 weeks in advance and again the night before. I wrote Green Day, and the venue..tough {censored} for me...They out us at the rear of lower bowl cause I would not sign the waiver. As a parent, I just could not risk it.

My 2 cents? I paid for the f-ing tickets. If I need to bring my cell phone because the floor people are ALLOWED to ignore a medical situation, I am bringing it. I think concert venues get away with too much stupid stuff as it is given the prices they charge for all their crap, which is why I generally only go to small shows any more. (see Police Rant). I have seen people pushed around, fights happen and nothing done, people get sick and lie there, the works. They want the cash but not the responsibility of maintaining a safe

The talking during the show thing is crazy. The ONLY reason I would ever do it is because I needed something medical. Allow them in, but toss anyone seen using it. And, I love Prince, but on my phone, he would be like 4 pixels tall anyway. Who wants that pic?

Archived