Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

scolfax

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I must be the only person who actually likes the sound of the stock speaker
:p

I like the stock speakers in my Deville. The amp takes pedals really well, so I don't need to use the drive channel anymore. The clean channel also sounds very good when pushed into overdrive (though it's not easy at 60 watts!)

• Members

I must be the only person who actually likes the sound of the stock speaker
:p

Actually, in the Unofficial HRD Owner's Guide, the guy mentions owners finding their way back to the original speaker. I'm shooting for the "Limited Edition on a budget" by using the same speaker those come with.

• Members
Actually, in the Unofficial HRD Owner's Guide, the guy mentions owners finding their way back to the original speaker. I'm shooting for the "Limited Edition on a budget" by using the same speaker those come with.

But how could you do any better than the real deal for $475 with Jensen P12n already included?

P1010016-2.jpg

• Members

I also don't like the stock speaker in mine. I ordered a 12F150 from Weber today. The only other thing it needs is changing the Master pot and it should be darn near perfect. The drive channel is OK, the more drive is pretty much useless.

• Members

I also don't like the stock speaker in mine. I ordered a 12F150 from Weber today. The only other thing it needs is changing the Master pot and it should be darn near perfect. The drive channel is OK, the more drive is pretty much useless.

Ya know, I tried one a new MIM one at the local M&P shop a while back and the volume was REALLY touchy. Wrong pot I am thinking.

I kept looking on craigslist however to see if I could find a good tube amp. Shortly after, a HRD showed up that was "completely broken" and being sold as parts. I went to look anyway, my day job is as a repair tech. After opening it I made an offer and they happily accepted. Within a half an hour after getting home I had it working great.

The older MIA that I purchased has a smooth volume. When I did the repairs on it, It had a few bad solder joints that I could see easily when I checked it out, I noticed it still had the original internal components including the pot. I am thinking that fender made some cost cutting changes due to availability of components ?

Long story short... I got a good amp for little cost ... :)

And I like the original speaker. :thu:

• Members

Ya know, I tried one a new MIM one at the local M&P shop a while back and the volume was REALLY touchy. Wrong pot I am thinking.

I have one from '96 that is MIA and the volume pot is very sensitive until you get to about 1/2 way up (that is, if you're still alive at that point).

I put a capacitor across both volumes on my HRD after the warranty expired to give me a little more shimmer at lower levels. I'll pull the chassis out and take some photos so you guys can see what I did. I found the mod online somewhere--it's the same one that Torres Engineering sells in kit form (for way too much money, IMO).

here's the Torres kit:

http://www.torresengineering.com/fenbluesdelb.html

I also put the Jensen P12N in my HRD.

• Members

Interesting...just an inline volume? How is that different than the volume on another pedal, though?

I'm guessing this lets you can crank the preamp tubes without increasing the overall volume. I'd be more interested in the side-effect of having a less-touchy volume knob! I took my new HRD to rehearsal last night and my volume was all over the map!

• Members

i like the drive channel for some things. It gets too much hate. It may not be silky smooth, and it may go from no volume to too much volume but its a nice rawkus (im sure i spelled that wrong) and raw sound that its perfect for the odd mad lead bit or even punkier chording, quite a retro fuzzy sound. Disclaimer: this is what mine sounds like, anyone who's seen the HRD club thread will know its seen better days!! so if yours doesnt sound like this, gig the {censored}out of it until it does.

Archived