Pregnant women and their husbands who work at coffee bars...

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I'm sitting here in my local beanery enjoying a dark roast freshly poured by a 21 year old friendly barrista. Minding my business. In walks a guy closer to my age. "What's up dude?", he's says to the coffee guy. "I missed you Saturday at my party. Dude..."

The coffee guy looks like he's just been hit over the head. "Yeah... dude. My wife. She's... uh... the doctor says that the hormones... I... I don't know what he said really but, well Claire is all totally... this pregnancy. I guess this is what people are talking about. We went to the mall to Christmas shop and she was... Dude, the party was completely out of the question, though I'll tell you, I could could so, so have used it."

He is near tears and kind of nervously chuckles.

His friend / customer listens with total empathy and a little smile and says, "Wait tll menopause."

Just then, in walks a young, pretty, pregnant women. She walks behind the counter and puts her apron on, kisses the clerk and says, "Hi honey", and walks into the back. The clerk looks at his buddy and whispers (I barely hear), "Tell her you missed us on Saturday at your party."

She returns from the back room and the customer bellows, "Oh my God you are beautiful! Some pregnant women look so sad and you want to comfort them but I just want to ask you how you do... that. You are amazing." He pats his friend / clerk over the counter and say, "Dude... you are one lucky SOB. Hey, I missed you guys so much Saturday but I'm sure with the baby coming you guys just want to spend time together. I totally dig it."

The girl is now near tears and hugs her husband /clerk tightly and says, "No...I'm the lucky one."

• Moderators

Hope the tips are good at the coffee house. I'd hate to be 21 with a kid on the way... not as much as I'd hate to be
my
age with a kid on the way, maybe...
;)

That's the first thing that crossed my mind. 21 year old couple working at coffee house. Ouch. Love conquers all though... I guess we'll see.

• Members

That's the first thing that crossed my mind. 21 year old couple working at coffee house. Ouch. Love conquers all though... I guess we'll see.

When my wife and I got married she was making minimum wage as a bomb assembler and I was an elementary school teacher earning $8000/year. That was over thirty years ago. Now she's retired and I'm a school administrator making six figures.

As tough as it was starting out, it only served to draw us closer together. Sort of an "Us against the World" feeling.

• Members
'Course than you have the kids and you think "Why didn't I do this earlier???"

No way! I'm a much better father now than I would have been at 21.

A friend asked me the other day why I didn't want to have more kids after having such a cool daughter. I told her that after winning at genetic roulette, I wasn't about to push my luck...

• Moderators

'Course than you have the kids and you think "
Why didn't I do this earlier???
"

No way! I'm a
much
better father now than I would have been at 21.

A friend asked me the other day why I didn't want to have more kids after having such a cool daughter. I told her that after winning at genetic roulette, I wasn't about to push my luck...

Craig, I'm in the same boat. I get asked that question all the time. My daughter is 11 going on 29. She's...

s m a r t.

I look at her and think, "OK... I'm done. Can't top that."

• Members

A
bomb
assembler???
:eek:
She wasn't by any chance hitting them with a hammer and writing "
Dud
" on them was she?

No, but she was there when a woman in the next booth had her hand blown off due to some defective components.

My wife quit the next day.

• Members

my second one is going to be intense.... he learns EVERYTHING from his brother and picks things up like nothing. they are 6 years apart though. been married for 12 years, my older son is 8, youngest just turned 2 so we didnt jump into things and definately not a shotgun wedding.

however, im DONE having kids. i won the genetic lottery twice so im certainly not going to push my luck anymore.

however parties and preggo's i once went to this killer part and say a preggo walking around with a 6pack of beer and did a double take... it was non-alcoholic. she was still having fun and enjoying it. my wife went to go see ween with me while carrying the first kid about 6 months preggos. course we have taken the kids to see music all their life. my first one was getting down and dancing at like 2 at a clutch show. it was so cool, all the people around him were pointing at him so amused by him. my other one will sit on my shoulders and bounce up and down to the music at shows. its too funny. people get a kick out of it. my one son got drumsticks from russell batiste jr after he spotted him in the audience of the PBS [meters w/o a. neville], that was really cool. we talked to him after the show as well.

• Members

Watching the AMC Series "Madmen", set in 1960, made me remember that many of OUR Mom's smoked and drank all through pregnancy.

My Mom gave my wife a Good Housekeeping "You're expecting" book that she had gotten back when I was an embryo in 1959... one of the suggestions...

Only one "highball" per day!

Party on Mom!

Look how I turned out... errr... maybe another example would have been better...

M

• Members

my wife would have a glass of wine every so often, per doctors advise at that.

we have a lot of friends where kids didnt change who they naturally were. we still party and have fun. the kids are around it and play with each other. i think its healthy for them. though i have seen some people flip entirely and "find god" and drag their kids to church because thats the "right thing to do"... i notice a lot of those kids operate in fear now. its really sad. my son has to put up with their {censored} at school sometimes. they tell my son satan is going to come get him and stupid {censored} like that. they cant figure out what he "believes" in.... we are obviously secular. my wife finally told him to tell them he believes in 'love' and leave it at that.

• Members

It does help.

'Course than you have the kids and you think "
Why didn't I do this earlier???
"

There are so many people that seem to have them too early on in the marriage, or simply when they are too young. I think a lot of mistakes are made, a lot of regrets, etc. It just seems to me that if people held off for a few years after they got married, there'd be much happier families and less kids who have a parent who bolted on them when they were born out of wedlock. Obviously, you can't make a "rule" or guideline because not everyone is alike, but you hafta wonder - what's the damn hurry? Wait a few years!!

• Moderators

I didn't have a kid until I was 38. I got it all out of my system and want nothing more than to kick back and be a dad. If I had tried earlier who knows what kind of deadbeat I'd have been. Or at least I'd have resented being a dad. Now I wear my dad colors proudly.

• Members

I think some of the things - deadbeat parents, high divorce rate, etc. - can be avoided if people simply wait. Just wait. Take your time, make a good decision. When we're young, we can get into relationships that aren't really very good for us and then have a kid with that person.

When I say this, I am commenting primarily about people in the U.S., btw. Situations may be quite different in other countries.

• Members

I think some of the things - deadbeat parents, high divorce rate, etc. - can be avoided if people simply wait. Just wait. Take your time, make a good decision. When we're young, we can get into relationships that aren't really very good for us and then have a kid with that person.

When I say this, I am commenting primarily about people in the U.S., btw. Situations may be quite different in other countries.

Couldn't agree more.

The thing is, many times, having kids at a young age isn't a decision. It's a result of simply not thinking.

Archived