Pregnant women and their husbands who work at coffee bars...

Lee Knight

• Members

There are so many people that seem to have them too early on in the marriage, or simply when they are too young. I think a lot of mistakes are made, a lot of regrets, etc.

I really couldn't agree more with both of you. I work with a 23 year old guy who got his girlfriend pregnant at 20. Not surprisingly, the relationship didn't work out, and now he has a 3 year old son that he has to fight tooth and nail in order to see. It's a mess, and it will get worse. But the real victim is of course the child. And when the inevitable new girl/boyfriend steps into the picture with a single parent, the possibility of abuse/neglect goes WAY up. It's pretty scary the number of children today who have no idea what a stable nuclear family is like.

My son was born when I was 33, my daughter two years later. I'd been married for 7 years by that time. I love being a father. I spend a lot of time with my kids, and I try to give them a meaningful childhood. I think a lot of my devotion stems from the fact that my own father gave me very little priority in his life. He was a great provider, and christmas/birthdays were always bountiful, but be would never just spend time with me. I think I'm making up for it.

But had I had my kids at 21 (or actually 18, when I had my first "my gf missed her period" scare) it probably would have been a very different story. I was an emotional nightmare in my late 20's.

Still the joy they have brought to my life makes me sometimes wish that they would have just always been there. I can't imagine my life without them.

• Members

I'm sitting here in my local beanery enjoying a dark roast freshly poured by a 21 year old friendly barrista. Minding my business. In walks a guy closer to my age. "What's up dude?", he's says to the coffee guy. "I missed you Saturday at my party. Dude..."

The coffee guy looks like he's just been hit over the head. "Yeah... dude. My wife. She's... uh... the doctor says that the hormones... I... I don't know what he said really but, well Claire is all totally... this pregnancy. I guess this is what people are talking about. We went to the mall to Christmas shop and she was... Dude, the party was completely out of the question, though I'll tell you, I could could
so, so
have used it."

He is near tears and kind of nervously chuckles.

His friend / customer listens with total empathy and a little smile and says, "Wait tll menopause."

Just then, in walks a young, pretty, pregnant women. She walks behind the counter and puts her apron on, kisses the clerk and says, "Hi honey", and walks into the back. The clerk looks at his buddy and whispers (I barely hear), "Tell her you missed
us
on Saturday at your party."

She returns from the back room and the customer bellows, "Oh my God you are beautiful! Some pregnant women look so sad and you want to comfort them but I just want to ask you how you do...
that.
You are amazing." He pats his friend / clerk over the counter and say, "Dude... you are one lucky SOB. Hey, I missed you guys so much Saturday but I'm sure with the baby coming you guys just want to spend time together. I totally dig it."

The girl is now near tears and hugs her husband /clerk tightly and says, "No...
I'm
the lucky one."

Hmm. That is very soap opera-ish.

• Moderators

Hmm. That is very soap opera-ish.

Well, you know what they say about truth being stranger than fiction.

Update. 1 week later. Today... 2 minutes ago.

Pregnant wife / coffee girl says to customer, "I love your house. I saw you yesterday mowing your lawn. Houses are soooo expensive here. We're thinking of moving to the country and growing our own food."

Sounds like a plan.

Archived