Comfortably Numb solo tone?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

I have been told I have a very "Gilmourish" tone. Yes, you can go into the extreme details of his rig - but you don't need the exact Hiwatts to get a satisfactory approximation provided you have the licks and vibrato.

I think the keys are a Strat (preferably with maple board, which I think offers an upper clarity that is important in his sound), a clean tube amp, a smooth and full sounding overdrive pedal, and a delay.

He's known for using clean amps and overdrive pedals...something like a blackface Fender, Hiwatt is ideal. I've been having great results with a Barber Direct Drive which is a great smooth OD/distortion, but there are a bunch of other options out there. He's known for the Big Muffs. And the delay is crucial...it's definitely a "wet" sound, won't sound right at all without it.

• Members

theres many misconceptions about gilmour's tones in the studio. Yea, he uses hi watts live, but ive heard from people that a lot of his recorded stuff was marshall's and fender twin's (the tweed twin) and this could also be the case for CN. Live, hiwatts are a very clean amp throughout the volume spectrum, being that they are 100watts but ive heard recently he uses two types of tubscreamers, 1 set for pure volume (SRV) and 1 set for distortion. He only uses both at the same time a couple of times in the set and CN is one of them

EDIT. throw delay on top of that, along with the ultimate patience and the greatest mastery of note placement along with a large amount of use of the hexatonic scale.

• Members

There's a load of theories about that solo and how he got that sound. For years it was common "knowledge" :rolleyes: that it was a strat and a Muff - then it was common "knowledge" that it was aHB equipped LP goldtop like the one he used in the stage production/concerts of The Wall- Now it's common "knowledge" that it was a P90 equipped LP.

AFAIK you can get close with a strat, a fuzz, some reverb and delay.

• Moderators

There's a load of theories about that solo and how he got that sound. For years it was common "knowledge"
:rolleyes:
that it was a strat and a Muff - then it was common "knowledge" that it was aHB equipped LP goldtop like the one he used in the stage production/concerts of The Wall- Now it's common "knowledge" that it was a P90 equipped LP.

AFAIK you can get close with a strat, a fuzz, some reverb and delay.

pah, it's common knowledge that it was a Duo Jet:confused:

Or was it a Squier Tele through a marshall MG....I never can remember

• Members

Funny how he could do it with the EMG based pickups, and then still sound great without them.

It shows a bit that it's Gilmore... not the pickups.

Great solo though!

M

He didn't use EMGs until after his solo album About Face came out. The Strat (THE Black Strat) that he used on The Wall was loaded with a Duncan SSL-1 in the bridge and two older Fender pickups in the middle and neck at the time.

• Members

I remember reading somewhere that he said he plugged right into the sound board then they re-ampped it after through a fender twin I think..... it was the only solo he said he did that way.... wish I could remember where I saw that though....

Archived