Amp For College

Stvwndr219

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Or just a pod 2.0 and some computer speakers pluged into the headphone jack....lunch box size. And if stolen you're out $70 for the old pod and $1 for the speakers from the garage sale....its what I use most of the time for bedroom practice. And if the wife and kids are gone sometimes put the pod infront of a 5 watt tube head and 1x12 cab and rattle the house.

Computer speakers are {censored} though.

• Members

Computer speakers are {censored} though.

I've got a set of Klipsch's they're quite good. But you do need to spend a bit of money.

The thing is, while the POD idea is very practical, I am about to go jam with a drummer and sax player later today - that's why I'm glad I have a full-on amp.

• Members

I've got a set of Klipsch's they're quite good. But you do need to spend a bit of money.

The thing is, while the POD idea is very practical, I am about to go jam with a drummer and sax player later today - that's why I'm glad I have a full-on amp.

Yeah. And the valve junior combos come with an 8" eminence speaker, and have outputs to run an extension cabs now. 5W class A tube power. MUCH better pairing with a pod than non guitar-oriented speakers.

• Members

^Those aren't bad, actually. Simple and solid state, but very usable and portable. Kinda like a pignose.

I keep all knobs at 11:00 o'clock-ish. These little things seem to react(sound) different depending on the surrounding. Outside in a fenced backyard, with tall trees, sounds better then in my garage.

Attach it to your belt, put an overdrive/dist pedal in one pocket, and a reverb in another at your good to go. Literally.

• Members

I keep all knobs at 11:00 o'clock-ish. These little things seem to react(sound) different depending on the surrounding. Outside in a fenced backyard, with tall trees, sounds better then in my garage.

Attach it to your belt, put an overdrive/dist pedal in one pocket, and a reverb in another at your good to go. Literally.

For a SS amp, the onboard OD/dist is pretty sweet.

But a reverb, chorus, delay or is a cool idea.

• Members

Hey thanks for all the suggestions - got up the courage to go see that reverberocket, sounded alright but it was really beat up. I guess I'll need something that will last me four years. I just figured I might as well go tube now and not have to spend more money down the road to get another tube amp. My budget's 450-500 dollars - not exactly quality tube but a decent tube amp?

Thanks again guys!

Oh yes and I will be playing lightly distorted church worship type stuff (think third day, lincoln brewster, sonic flood, hillsong, relient k, etc.) and some jazz - nothing too heavy distortion wise. Lemme know which amps could do this. Thanks!

Also, doesn't Lincoln Brewster play out of a Line6 pod?

• Members

actually, I support those Danelectro amps as well. as long as you don't drop them on the ground at any point, they're quite nice. Good sound for something that cheap.

Mine died, because I dropped it......*insert cry emoticon here*

• Members
I have a Line6 SpiderIII 15 modeling amp that I travel with. Really lightweight. Has a headphone jack and an MP3/CD input. And the models are alright also. Fairly versatile with some onboard effects....chorus, flange/phase and some delay. Only around $100.

great amp, i have one too, i take it when im away from home along with my steinberger
:thu:

• Members

Listen my brother, someone mentioned the AD30VT VOX. Its a VERY GOOD choice. It has a Headphine Jack also. It plays GREAT live and has a power cut dial on back which is also great for Dorms.

And its not too good to worry about.

[Lincoln Brewster? His whole road crew posts here.]

I just bought a Edwards Les-Paul Custom from him. Nice Piece. Actually we traded, he wanted a US Strat I had that I wasn't using. Very Very well QC'c Strat but it had a Maple board and I'm partial to Rosewood.

Dorm Life? Twin Reverbs? I had a Twin in school 67 Blackface. But I never took it to school. Thats WHY I still have it!!!!

I lived at Kansas State in the Athletic Dorm. A Twin Reverb there? OK.

I agree they sound good at low volumes also. But not in that 3-Ring Circus. Are you kidding me. I could invision that going out the window.....lol

• Members

I can't get over...............TWIN REVERB. Please don't listen to these guys. And use your common sense.

Man they;ll have you getting beat down on a the regular. And the Twin? Won't make it through the year. I'd BEAT on it!

I have VISIONS of BUBBA reading the Bible downstairs while your RAWKING OUT on the Twin?

• Members

You don't mention which kind of Reverberocket you've been offered. There's a Reverberocket reissue, in current production, easily recognized because it has two 12" speakers. The reissues are nothing like the 60s Reverberockets. The "vintage" Reverberockets have one 12" speaker. There were two generations, the R-12R (unfortunately, Ampeg reused this model number for the reissue), which had controls on the back part of the top, and the GS-12R, which had the controls on a faceplate.

The 1960s Reverberockets are great, great amps. Their one downside is that, while they make only about 15 amps or so, they were built for max clean headroom, so they never really go into heavy distortion, even when dimed. But the clean sound is simply beautiful, and the reverb is simply extraordinary. Good condition examples can be found for $450-500 if you're patient and look around, so I wouldn't buy one that's beat up in that range. Be aware though that, as with all vintage tube amps, it may need to be recapped and have other service done at some point.

• Members

actually, I support those Danelectro amps as well. as long as you don't drop them on the ground at any point, they're quite nice. Good sound for something that cheap.

Mine died, because I dropped it......*insert cry emoticon here*

I think they're neat as well. Though, they're more of a toy than a full-on amp. I certainly wouldn't want it as my only amp, but it's nice to have around.

Actually, I had one when I lived in a dorm many years ago. I borrowed it to a friend in the dorm and never saw it again. Bastard!

If I saw one for cheap, I'd snatch it up just so I can walk around my apartment playing guitar!

• Members

If i were you i dont think i would get an amp. get a digital recorder. Mine has a whole ton of effects, amps , and vocal effects. A mic, and a set of headphones will let you jam without annoying the whole hall. In reality a decent acoustic guitar is prolly a better thing to take to college than an electric guitar.

Archived