Amp For College

Stvwndr219

• Members

Hi,

Wondering if you all would be kind enough to suggest me an amp for use during college - I would either be practicing in the practice room or in my dorm room. It would have to definitely be something I could carry around - I will be flying across the country to get to school. All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

Also, have a deal from craiglist by me for an Ampeg Reverberocket - I've read the reviews online, just wondering if anybody here has had any first hand experience with it. Thanks again!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Flying across the country? Buy the amp when you get to college... don't bother trying to fly with it, or have the hassle of shipping it there.

As for what to get... geesh, where to start! Budget?

ReverbRockets are cool little amps for sure! The shop I used to work at carried them, and I'd play them all the time. I think Peavey makes a better amp (Classic 30, perhaps a Delta Blues), but the Reverbrocket was cool in a different way.

• Members

I have a Line6 SpiderIII 15 modeling amp that I travel with. Really lightweight. Has a headphone jack and an MP3/CD input. And the models are alright also. Fairly versatile with some onboard effects....chorus, flange/phase and some delay. Only around $100.

• Members

I had a Peavey Classic 20 that I was using for awhile...sounded okay, compact, light loud enough to jam with others. Now I just have my Deluxe Reverb. Obviously I'm not running it all out, but one seems to mind. I also have a MicroCube which is really easy to tote around. I don't consider it a "real amp" but it's a handy tool...headphone outs, line in, direct recording, etc.

• Members

Twin Reverb, end of thread.

That was actually my college dorm amp, but I was gigging at the time. My other "college amp" was a 4 X 10 Bluess DeVille--If I wanted to I could have let the whole dorm know when and what I was practicing (I never did though). I still have that Twin and it sounds better now than it did then - or maybe it is that I have gotten better?

In terms of a good college amp, I would go with a Fender Blues Jr.

• Members

I would really suggest something with a headphone jack. Even if it doesn't sound that great through the speaker, having the option to play without disturbing others is important if you have a bitchy roommate or people on your floor who are bothered by your playing.

• Members

End of dorm life, too.

Actually I find the Twin Reverb to sound superb at very low volumes. You can still get thet pounding your chest bass if you point the speakers right at yourself (in a dorm that's about all the room you'll have anyway). I'm actually seroius about teh twin Reverb put a quality pedal in front of itand you've got quite a rig that will work well at all voulu=mes right up to "kill your outdoor audience".

• Members

Hi,

Wondering if you all would be kind enough to suggest me an amp for use during college - I would either be practicing in the practice room or in my dorm room. It would have to definitely be something I could carry around - I will be flying across the country to get to school. All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

Also, have a deal from craiglist by me for an Ampeg Reverberocket - I've read the reviews online, just wondering if anybody here has had any first hand experience with it. Thanks again!

tiny terror it's small and weighs like 2 pounds but sounds awesome

Archived