PRS SE Singlecut

Elazul

• Members

I was never a PRS guy...and I never took a second look at them. But one day I was brought a Double cut w/trem by a guy from my local guitar shop and it played beautifully.The build quality was unbelievable for a guitar in that price range. The neck was very similar to a Gibson 60's profile but even more comfy. The pups were nIce and very versatile. I was playing it through a LINE 6/ BOGNER . Honestly it was a nice guitar, but it just wasn't what I had my eye on.

prs_se_custom_002.jpg

• Members

i've played them in stores, so i can't give you a totally informed opinion, but the tobacco burst looks amazing in person, nothing like the musiciansfriend pics. you'll probably want to replace the pickups though, that's what a lot of people end up doing. it stays in tune really well, and if you like a thick neck, then that's got it :)

also, i've heard better things about hagstrom then the prs se series. you might want to check them out

• Members

I reviewed the PRS Sinlgecut SE in the April issue of FrugalGuitarist.com. The sound is a little spankier than the traditional Les Paul sound (something PRS's are famous for) which I rather like, but those seeking maximum chunk may prefer a pickup change to something a little darker and more aggresive. The feel of the guitar and it's sleek looks is what sold it for me.

Does it play as well as x guitar costing y times more? That question is completely subjective and no one can answer it for you. It is a good guitar which is fairly widely available to audition. If no one stocks it locally, you can always order online from a store with a generous return policy and send it back if you don't like it.

• Members

If no one stocks it locally, you can always order online from a store with a generous return policy and send it back if you don't like it.

Good idea, I diddn't think of that :thu:.

Anyway, all I really wanted to know was if the SE's were as good a deal as most of the reviews claim they are, which according to you guys, they really are. I just thought it was kind of funny that a few people claim that the SE's are as good as american made guitars between 3 and 5 times the price.

• Members

Good idea, I diddn't think of that
:thu:

Anyway, all I really wanted to know was if the SE's were as good a deal as most of the reviews claim they are, which according to you guys, they really are. I just thought it was kind of funny that a few people claim that the SE's are as good as american made guitars between 3 and 5 times the price.

Personally, I find it hard to justify the prices of American PRS (or Gibson and Fender). I pay no attention to the country of origin myself, just whether I like the guitar. I'm sure some people honestly feel they are as good of a guitar as the American line, they are very nice and really the only affordable PRS.

On the other hand, there is no question that the American line is a better work of art...

• Members

I have played SE model, i think they play great, one of the nicest necks i think are on PRS guitars. The only thing that i didnt like was the pickups, for me they didnt have enough bite or that "chuga chuga" thing. But i with a nice pup change you could have a killer guitar, and for the mony they are great value.

I am saving for PRS SC 245 now. :)

• Members

I own a PRS SE SC, and I own a Les Paul -- different animals for sure. One thing I can say is that you can get a good tonal range out of the SE. I bought one right after they came out. And she's stayed in the harem while two les pauls were put out to pasture.

It won't break your back, it won't break your bank, and plays like a dream.

But it has a cleaner sound than the Les Paul.

prs_sc.jpg

• Members

I tried a couple of the Singlecut SE's at GC and they both played wonderfully and sounded very good. I would certainly consider them as a backup guitar or soemthing to bang around with. As far as being as good as a USA made PRS...don't kid yourself...it's not even close.

• Members

At my gig last Saturday, there were a couple people telling me how killer my PRS looked and sounded.They were musicians (one was a guitar tech). I didn't have the heart to tell them it was a modded Santana SE. They thought it was a CU22.

PRS-1.jpg

• Members

i played a single cut SE a few months back in a guitar shop and it was really nice, so hard to fault. The red looks amazing, i haven't seen the other colors in person. I played it through an EVH amp and the sound was to die for, if you like a good overdriven rock sound it then go for it. I almost bought it for it's sound alone. The only thing that stopped me was the 25" neck, i prefer a 25.5".

• Members

i played a single cut SE a few months back in a guitar shop and it was really nice, so hard to fault. The red looks amazing, i haven't seen the other colors in person. I played it through an EVH amp and the sound was to die for, if you like a good overdriven rock sound it then go for it. I almost bought it for it's sound alone. The only thing that stopped me was the 25" neck, i prefer a 25.5".

You get used to the scale pretty fast.

I had a red one. I changed the hardware to gold. Loved it.

SC4.jpg

• Members

there was a beat up prs se w/p90s at the GC sale and it played really well. i have one that i got at the july 4th sale and love it.

i remember when they first came out and how much i loved playing it . it also just really stays in tune and is pretty much set up from the get go.

i also have the santana prs se and it is just as sweet

i really feel that the PRS SE line made in Korea are some of the best deals around. far superior in quality and consistancy than epiphone or anything else made in china.

my next prs se is the one that is semi-hollow. lovely instrument.

• Moderators

Wow, I didn't realize how much better that sunburst would look in a real photo. I think I'll be getting one in tobacco burst for sure!

Anyway, thanks for the input, guys. I guess they really are worth the money.

The tuners are unpleasant, but work, the pots and pickups are junk, the rest of it is coated with a thick layer of plastic.....I DO NOT like them at all, well, that said, the Singlecuts anyway, and despite looking like a LP, they bear little resemeblance in feel and sound.

If you want LP tones, then they're a big NO, if you want a lightweight modding platform for humbucker tones then they're fine

• Members

The tuners are unpleasant, but work, the pots and pickups are junk, the rest of it is coated with a thick layer of plastic.....I DO NOT like them at all, well, that said, the Singlecuts anyway, and despite looking like a LP, they bear little resemeblance in feel and sound.

If you want LP tones, then they're a big NO, if you want a lightweight modding platform for humbucker tones then they're fine

Must be the tailpiece :poke:

• Members

Way to go man. That's the first negative comment I've ever seen about this guitar.

Anyway, I was planning on switching out the pickups for a pair of Seymour Duncan 59's or APHII's, that's why I was looking for a "decent LP style guitar". Everyone else here seems to really like the pickups though, so I was starting to re-consider, but I guess I'll just see for myself when I get it.

Archived