Withdrawing from HC indefinitely

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators
While I agree with you for the most part, this really is neither the time nor place (nor the method, for that matter).

Sean,

I understand your decision to stand up for what you believe in, regardless of my agreement with it. I tend to do the same sort of thing on occasion
;)

You will be missed. You, the wife and little ones take care. If I never "see" you again, know how much you are appreciated.

Nah Justin, it looks like I misunderstood a sick parody of a Mastercard advert, as someone spamming firearms, I'll just have to watch more trash TV and get down with the adverts:facepalm:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Who insulted your "type"?
:confused:

I guess maybe, I perceived insult where none was meant. If so, then I apologize. However, speaking gleefully of natural selection taking "its" course among armed Americans could well be taken as wishing harm upon those of us who choose to be armed.

• Members

To be fair millions of Chinese troops would argue that their Type 81s are a pretty decent bit of kit also.

UK is also pretty well known for it's quality firearms, James Purdey & Sons ring a bell?

And Holland & Holland. A nearby retailer had an engraved .700 Nitro Express double a few years back. $250,000, and it came in a $12,000 fitted case.

Are any of the other old makers left? There's Accuracy International, but it's not quite the same thing.

• Members
Hey, I agree with you. If you guys want to outlaw firearms, then more power to you. I would never call you anything derogatory. As a matter of fact you are braver than I being willing to live in a place where only those that greak the law are armed. However, it is disingenuous to portray those who would choose otherwise as being somehow less "evolved" and your intellectual inferiors.

No. I didn't even slightly imply that Americans were less 'evolved'. That must be something in your own mind. (interestingly you use the idea of evolution which I understand is not entirely fashionable over there).

I'm a bit curious about something else though. Why bring Jesus into all this? But since you did, here's my (probably predictable view). Yes, he was probably a fruitcake. Possibly a nice fruitcake, but nevertheless likely to have been a Cadbury's fruit and nut.

I use the words probably and possibly here, since like anything other kind of knowledge based on texts, I just don't know for sure. And a good reason for that is that our knowledge of 'Jesus' is based on texts that were deliberately selected by an emerging church hierarchy, to the exclusion of other accounts. The historical authenticity of those texts is extremely dubious, especially since we know there are other (suppressed) accounts which contradict a lot of material in the 'Gospels'. They didn't want him to look too much like a fruitcake after all, and most importantly, they had to assert his divinity in the context of the brutal suppression of the early church. Whether or not he really was divine (highly unlikely in my view - perhaps the notion of divinity in all of us a la Vendantic Hinduism is a more attrative proposition), has been totally obscured.

Well done for being clever at Chemistry by the way. ;)

• Moderators

However, speaking gleefully of natural selection taking "its" course among armed Americans could well be taken as wishing harm upon those of us who choose to be armed.

If it's natural then it's down to you guys and the way you use your legally acquired weapons, whatever I wish, and it certainly isn't harm, then so be it, my wishes have no bearing, and much less than the Power of the Lord

• Members

Ahhh,.......I love the smell of condescension in the morning.........lol.

I'm American. I love Jesus. I have high powered semi-automatic rifles and handguns. I'm a "law abiddin'" citizen and I even love my country. I am all the things that liberals and elitists love to hate. They say and think some pretty nasty things about guys like me.

It doesn't bother me one bit. You see I understand rifles and calculus. I can handle hunting and chemical process design. I love guitars, guns, and fluid dynamics. There's a lot more of us in America than there are of "them". I don't have any respect for anyone who claims to be an atheist. Not because of my love for Jesus and His ways, but because it is a philosophically indefensible position. You agnostic? Ok, we can have an intelligent debate. There's a lot more of "us" than there are of "them".

Note please, that I did not start this, I'm simply using my perceived "right of reply".

BTW, Gunbroker.com is the place for gun tradin', not HC. Trust me, I know.

What's funny is you start off with that bit about condescension, and then go into your little "us/them" bit. I get it- it's like an example, right?

• Members
No. I didn't even slightly imply that Americans were less 'evolved'. That must be something in your own mind. (interestingly you use the idea of evolution which I understand is not entirely fashionable over there).

I'm a bit curious about something else though. Why bring Jesus into all this? But since you did, here's my (probably predictable view). Yes, he was probably a fruitcake. Possibly a nice fruitcake, but nevertheless likely to have been a Cadbury's fruit and nut.

I use the words probably and possibly here, since like anything other kind of knowledge based on texts, I just don't know for sure. And a good reason for that is that our knowledge of 'Jesus' is based on texts that were deliberately selected by an emerging church hierarchy, to the exclusion of other accounts. The historical authenticity of those texts is extremely dubious, especially since we know there are other (suppressed) accounts which contradict a lot of material in the 'Gospels'. They didn't want him to look too much like a fruitcake after all, and most importantly, they had to assert his divinity in the context of the brutal suppression of the early church. Whether or not he really was divine (highly unlikely in my view - perhaps the notion of divinity in all of us
a la
Vendantic Hinduism is a more attrative proposition), has been totally obscured.

Well done for being clever at Chemistry by the way.
;)

Are you a lab rat as well then? ;)

Anyway, what must be considered is the age of each manuscript. The Gospels that were canonized are in fact the older manuscripts by nearly three centuries. The eldest being from the first century AD. That's where the answer to the canon (not rifle btw :) ) lies. The eldest manuscripts are the authorities by virtue of their age or proximity to the events. The Paulian letters and such are not even in questions in regards to the canon.

So, I appreciate you being forthright with your opinion of Jesus. Its a breath of fresh air.

• Members

If it's natural then it's down to you guys and the way you use your legally acquired weapons, whatever I wish, and it certainly isn't harm, then so be it, my wishes have no bearing, and much less than the Power of the Lord

You know what the connotation of "natural selection" is and I will leave it at that.

• Members

What's funny is you start off with that bit about condescension, and then go into your little "us/them" bit. I get it- it's like an example, right?

I was simply following the line of thinking that I perceived. If noting differences is condescension......??? Did I miss what he was saying? Possibly. What do you think of when you hear the term "natural selection".

• Members

I see what you mean about atheism being somewhat indefensible. I've wrestled with that myself since no one will ever know for sure. But, I'm 99.9% sure there isn't a little man in the sky who created everything we know. Maybe an advanced civilization or something, but even that sounds sillier to me than natural forces at work. Our minds will never fathom the truth completely, so we each find our own answers. At least I will.

• Members

One of the things that I like about HCEG is that is so international, but occasionally, we stumble upon ourselves as we make cultural/national/politically-correct blunders. The 'priceless' parody Ratae quoted would draw a misunderstanding in many countries.

I'm suprised this thread has grown as large as it has, to me it was just a misunderstanding and should be over with...Ratae should continue on enlightened to us Americuns evil ways, and life should be fine.

• Members

I was simply following the line of thinking that I perceived. If noting differences is condescension......??? Did I miss what he was saying? Possibly. What do you think of when you hear the term "natural selection".

I think I know where and why you sensed the original condescension- my point was more that your "there's a lot more of us than there are of them" seemed just as if not more condescending to me.

But then, I'm a liberal elitist. My thoughts are focused on marrying other dudes and attacking the unborn, so I may have missed something.

• Members

And Holland & Holland. A nearby retailer had an engraved .700 Nitro Express double a few years back. $250,000, and it came in a $12,000 fitted case.

Are any of the other old makers left? There's Accuracy International, but it's not quite the same thing.

Gotta 1882 Purdey that my grandfather bought from the shop in Audley Street at the time. Lovely piece of craftsmanship.

In the gun cupboard in UK, proofed for blackpowder only.

What am I going to do with it now I am in Bangkok permanently?

• Members

Nah Justin, it looks like I misunderstood a sick parody of a Mastercard advert, as someone spamming firearms, I'll just have to watch more trash TV and get down with the adverts:facepalm:

Ah, well good to see you back, then ;)

I know how you feel; I don't watch much telly either. In fact, it's been a year since I watched anything other than a movie or sports on the 'tube.

• Members

I am having severe problems with the fact that HC allows the spamming of offensive weapons

in a music forum,

I agree. There should be no spamming of a MUSICAL INSTRUMENT forum with content pertaining to guns for sale or other items for sale not related to musical instruments.

• Members

I use the words probably and possibly here, since like anything other kind of knowledge based on texts, I just don't know for sure. And a good reason for that is that our knowledge of 'Jesus' is based on texts that were deliberately selected by an emerging church hierarchy, to the exclusion of other accounts. The historical authenticity of those texts is extremely dubious, especially since we know there are other (suppressed) accounts which contradict a lot of material in the 'Gospels'. They didn't want him to look too much like a fruitcake after all, and most importantly, they had to assert his divinity in the context of the brutal suppression of the early church. Whether or not he really really was divine (highly unlikely in my view - perhaps the notion of divinity in all of us
a la
Vendantic Hinduism is a more attrative proposition), has been totally obscured.

That's way off base.

I won't waste time debating this on a guitar forum, but you really need to check your sources more critically. The authenticity of New Testament texts is anything but "dubious". They're the most historically verifiable and verified ancient historical texts in existence.

• Members

Its really about certainty. If you can be 100% certain about something (without faith, mind you) then you have all knowledge on it. Ask any philosophy prof.

All we know about deities is that we don't know whether they exist or not.

- Believing that they don't exist does take a little leap of faith.

- Believing some deity(-ies) exist, without being any more specific takes a similar leap of faith, but in the opposite direction.

- Believing in a specific deity, claiming to know what He wants/does not want to be called, how/when He created the universe and us and the history of His doings, to know how He wants us to live and behave, how He wants to be worshipped, what He'll do of us after we die, etc. takes a MUCH larger leap of faith.

If atheism isn't defensible, theism isn't either, and beliefs in specific God(s) are even less.

Ask any philosophy prof.

Archived