Can someone explain Cat Power to me?

tradivoro1

• Members

I checked out Grace Potter and Feist. They didn't do much for me. (I liked Potter better on the gutbucket rock in the second vid -- but Neil Young's "Cortez the killer" is kind of sacred turf to me... I liked the horn, hated the guitar, didn't much care for the blues mama vocalisms.) The Feist video was too cute. By half. A half point for Busby Berkeley rip off (aerial cam shot with the star 'shooting down' the other dancers as he/she spins in the middle). Minus five points for that hideous pants suit that makes her look like Grandma shopping at the Galleria.

As long as we're just throwing girl singers into the thread with no apparent rhyme or reason, let me just say that the woman who is killing me deadest right now is Gillian Welch.

She's not a babe. But she's a hell of a writer and singer. Not, I'm sure, everyone's cup of mountain rye.

I saw Gillian and David Rawlings at Bonneroo a few years back and it brought tears to my eyes. That woman has so much soul and emotion. It makes me shiver. Not to mention her man is a monster on guitar, such chops and so subtle and tasteful.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw Gillian and David Rawlings at Bonneroo a few years back and it brought tears to my eyes. That woman has so much soul and emotion. It makes me shiver. Not to mention her man is a monster on guitar, such chops and so subtle and tasteful.

Yeah... I'm not sure why it's taken so long for me to get on to her. One of my good pals and his wife have been huge fans of hers for a long time.

But she kind of snuck up on me. You know, she's kind of plain on a lot of levels... but, like Woody Guthrie's plainness, it kind of sneaks up on you and you go... wow, there's so much there... still waters and all that.

But I know she's not going to do much for a lot of pop and rock -- or Nashville pop -- fans and that's cool. Different strokes and all that... ;)

• Members

Chan MArshall, right? Pronounced "Shawn?" What I heard was pretty good. I read that she had a real problem with excessively cavalier performances before entering rehab...or something like that. Don't want to spread rumors, but I think she had a bit of a drinking problem.

• Members

Her voice isnt really anything special...but it's unique all the same. To me her music seems to work within that eclectic area where Feist, Esthero, Fiona Apple and PJ Harvey are prominent.

To me, you have to really be in a certain mood to listen to them, but when you are, you definitely feel the way they're singing and what they're singing about.

• Members

BTW, I got a CD a while back and actually forgot about it, and tonight finally gave a listen to some of the tracks, and REALLY enjoyed it. It's Vienna Teng, and the album is Dreaming Through the Noise. All of the tracks are good but some are really, really good, and very cleverly arranged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Teng

• Members

Vienna Teng, while quite different than Grace Potter, is still very enjoyable. I had never heard of her before, but then, that's one of the great things about this site. :D She reminds me of someone, but it's too late for me to figure it out.... maybe in the morning, well, later morning.

• Members

I think the Cat Power thing might be built around sick people hoping to see a train wreck. She used to play around here a bit, and people would talk about her mental state like it's part of the show; I could see Certain Nefarious Industry Types thinking they could cash in on that.

Kinda makes me wonder about the last Fiona Apple record fiasco: why did they hold such a brilliant record back for so long? Then mess around with it?

If you want to hear a female singer do something different (who definitely can sing), check out Julia Easterlin, a former student of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0iHRjWzNN4

(watch all the way into it; it turns out more elaborate than you might think...)

• Members

If you want to hear a female singer do something different (who definitely can sing), check out Julia Easterlin, a former student of mine:

She's doing kind of the same thing that Imogen Heap does sometimes, though Imogen does it better (nothing personal to your student, Imogen is just further along the path.) I love this tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg

• Members

I think the Cat Power thing might be built around sick people hoping to see a train wreck. She used to play around here a bit, and people would talk about her mental state like it's part of the show; I could see Certain Nefarious Industry Types thinking they could cash in on that.

This I can believe and it's sad that the company would try to benefit from somebody's mental state, hoping that it will create enough "buzz" to sell more records or bring more people to a show... You see this type of thing happening with Britney, except that here the whole world is trying to make a buck from her mental state...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wow. Give me Grace!

KAC

Ok....

here's some with her band. :D

This is the first performance that I saw from her and the one that made me a fan. The song is in two parts. This is from the "RaveHD" program "Beautiful Noise".

Part 1:

Part 2:

It's better on my big screen and through my JBL 4430's. :D

• Members

Well, as long as we're focusing arbitrarily on today's crop of female singer songwriters and instrumentalists (and, if you ask me this is clearly where the action is right now--they puke all over Jack Johnson et. al.), let me reiterate my enthusiastic endorsement of Jesca Hoop, the Ditty Bops, and The Bird and the Bee.

Then there's the nutso Joanna Newsom stuff. Then there's whatshername, the NYC woman who plays old-timey piano and does a speak-sing kind of Rickie Lee kinda thing...damn, forget her name.

And then (not for the faint of heart) there's...Her!

Archived