Can someone explain Cat Power to me?

tradivoro1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've recently been hearing raves and articles about Cat Power, a singer songwriter... So, I have an opportunity to hear her on Rhapsody... I listened to various things by her... Here's what I discover:

She can't sing - there wasn't one vocal performance that you could say, this is being performed by a singer...

Her writing leaves something to be desired -

So, why is this woman being raved about?? I mean, there are better new people out there that can actually sing and write and perform...

I can see the answer to your question is No

• Members

Vienna Teng, while quite different than Grace Potter, is still very enjoyable. I had never heard of her before, but then, that's one of the great things about this site.
:D
She reminds me of someone, but it's too late for me to figure it out.... maybe in the morning, well, later morning.

She's great. I played guitar on her first album and supported her live on a number of occasions (shadowy background figure below...)

radern.jpg

• Members
She's great. I played guitar on her first album and supported her live on a number of occasions (shadowy background figure below...)

Great. :( Now I have to go spend some more money and buy her first album. ;) I'll check it out. I still haven't figured out who she reminds me of, yet.

• Members

Nicole Atkins.

Can sing, writes great songs ...and hot.
:love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffl3ZUKmyPg

Hate to derail the topic from CAT Power, but that girl's performance is incredible! I also watched the video of her performance of "Where did you sleep last night?", which was great. One thing that strikes me is the first comment to the video (the first one), which says something like "a star is born". Unfortunately, the style of music she seems to favor will I think prohibit her becoming a "star". That syle just isn't popular enough. But god damn she's great!

Archived