NAD Blackheart Little Giant

Glenn F

• Members

Edit; I am going to exchange it for the Killer Ant. See below.

Hey all,

I got a Blackheart Little Giant 5 112 today. It may have to go back in favour of the Killer Ant and a cab, but if I can make it do for me with pedals at a reasonable volume (amp cranked, pedals dialed back a bit), I'll keep it. I do have to say that I am favourably impressed with the sounds that I can get from it. Nice clean tube sound to fairly dirty. The problem is, even on 3 watts it is pretty damned loud. I think, for the money, this amp is hard to beat. It weighs almost as much as my Classic 30, and is pretty much the same size.

Cheers,

Glenn

Blackheart.jpg

• Members

I've got the mini stack version and I love it. I mostly play it in the 3 watt mode and I think it sounds very nice. Cranked it is plenty loud, but nice tone at lower volumes too. I play it at night while my kids are asleep with no problems - volume around 3, drive it a little with my Barber Direct Drive.

HNAD!

• Members

HNAD!!! I got the mini stack version as well...3 Watts is plenty!!! The stock tubes are cool, but the fun begins with swapping out the tubes...I'm currently running a Tung-Sol 12AX7 and a JJ EL84...might try out a 12AT7 or 12AU7 for more clean headroom...

• Members

Congrats on a cool little amp. I got one back when they first came out (hadn't had an amp in years and this one really caught my interest). I had no idea just how loud those 5W's were going to be. I ended up building an l-pad attenuator for it and it works great. I still need to get off my butt to redo the housing with some wire mesh and get rid of the selectable treble boost which is useless, but you get the idea from the picture:

02260004.jpg

Sounds really cool cranked up to 8 or more and only really coming out at a whisper. Gets all that nice tube compression/distortion without rattling the windows.

• Members

I exchanged it for the Killer Ant with an Epi 12" cab. That suits my needs a lot better. I predict that this amp is gonna sell lots with the home recording crowd. It is perfect for that. I used to have an old cheap Beltone small tube amp that sounded fantastic, and this is the closest I've come to that at this volume.

I recommend it!

Cheers,

Glenn

DSC04003.jpg

• Members

those little guys are loud. impossible to turn it up for apartment living. I have to keep volume under 4 or else it starts shaking the walls.

under 4?? small room...i'm guessing? :) but i definately have to check it out... i heard a lot of good things about the tone on musicians friend

• Members

I exchanged it for the Killer Ant with an Epi 12" cab. That suits my needs a lot better. I predict that this amp is gonna sell lots with the home recording crowd. It is perfect for that. I used to have an old cheap Beltone small tube amp that sounded fantastic, and this is the closest I've come to that at this volume.

Why the Epi cab, out of curiosity?

• Members

I recommend it!

Cheers,

Glenn

DSC04003.jpg

me likes the killer ant.

• Members

under 4?? small room...i'm guessing?
:)
but i definately have to check it out... i heard a lot of good things about the tone on musicians friend

5W is pretty loud. Volume is logarithmic with respect to wattage, meaning that 5W is half as loud as 50W, and 50W is really loud. Also, for many amps, 4 may already be 75% of the amps volume. After 6 or 7 many amps don't get louder, just more distorted.

• Members

5W is pretty loud. Volume is logarithmic with respect to wattage, meaning that 5W is half as loud as 50W, and 50W is really loud. Also, for many amps, 4 may already be 75% of the amps volume. After 6 or 7 many amps don't get louder, just more distorted.

also depends what you put in front of it. my gretsch (champ 600) 5w is "too loud" at about half volume clean with a strat. with my SG... and eq pedal and a tube screamer for some heavy overdrive, it sits just above "off" on the volume knob.

5w on these is the clean rated volume too, so on the blackheart, 5 w is probably half way up.

• Members

thanks for the info... i didnt know that before...that clears up a lot

• Members

I have situations (rare, but extant) where I would need the full fury of the 5w. But I also (99%) of the time, need it at apartment levels. My 100w SS Marshall with the volume on 1.75 won't do anymore. I wanted one of these, but I may be going with the High Octane from the Spam thread instead because it has a master volume.

• Members

Why the Epi cab, out of curiosity?

The shop didn't have any Blackheart cabs in stock, and this shop is the 'Deb'l I know,' so to speak. If they get them in in the next 29 days, and provided I or our cats haven't mutilated the Epi Cab, I'll exchange it.

I've never owned 2 amps before. Bloody decadent, if you ask me!:lol:

The Killer Ant does exactly what I want it to do: Break up at a reasonable volume, and do it well. For nice cleans, I can use my Classic 30. Again, I think they will sell lots of these little guys.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

The shop didn't have any Blackheart cabs in stock, and this shop the 'Deb'l I know,' so to speak. If they get them in in the next 29 days, and provided I or our cats haven't mutilated the Epi Cab, I'll exchange it.

I've never owned 2 amps before. Bloody decadent, if you ask me!
:lol:

The Killer Ant does exactly what I want it to do: Break up at a reasonable volume, and do it well. For nice cleans, I can use my Classic 30. Again, I think they will sell lots of these little guys.

Cool, congrats on the new amp!

Archived