What's your favourite 'cheap' electric?

butterknucket

• Members

All my guitars are chaep. The only one I don't like to much is the Agile. Just not getting into it. The Hamer is my fav and I will always love my strat. I tend to play the Hamer the most I suppose. The strat is modded with a evolution in the bridge, Hamer is stock. The agile has a Duncan JB in the bridge. All well under 300 bucks

Guits.jpg

DelongeStratocaster2.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I pulled my Nelsonic Starliner LP copy off the used rack at the local shop the day they hung it up. $150, and upon later research I learned that's what they went for new. I've been watching eBay and Craigslist for about 2 years now and have only seen one pass through.

PB241084.jpg

I've got a few others in that price range but need to photograph them. A Kramer Striker from Music Yo, surprisingly well built hair band nostalgia; a Parts-o-Strat Kramer (well, the body ius what's left of the Kramer- but that was a $70 guitar- no complaints); a Xaviere xv-800 tele. Each has taught me volumes about the fundamental guitar styles. I'm eying the yellow xv-600 with the P90s for christmas, if my wife is listening...

• Members

OK, Brian, I'll take the bait. What's the story behind the Rickenbacker acquisition??

bb

Yet another example of my charmed life.

I was selling off some axes because I had gotten a very good deal on an LP Classic-- $750 w/ohsc, spotless-- and needed to raise funds. One that I figued I could part with was a white Epiphone Flying V, w/ohsc, in very good condition.

So, I put the V up for sale for $250, what I'd paid for it, on the local band scene website classifieds.

I got an e-mail from an old scene acquaintance with a counter-offer: dead-even trade of the Ric 620 w/ohsc, for the Epi Flying V w/ohsc.

I couldn't believe it.

Now, the Ric is pretty beaten up, and the V was in very good shape, but the Ric is still playable, I have gigged it with no mods. The other guy had a couple Rics and wasn't playig this one, so I guess the deal made sense to him.

• Members

I have three cheap electrics that I really like and play alot. Well, one is a bass.

One is my 07 butterscotch Squier Affinity Tele.

c354d56c5bce1.jpg

017.jpg

One is the Rattlecan painted 99' Squier Strat from the rattlecan paint thread

011-2.jpg

010-4.jpg

And one is a Jay turser Music Man stingray copy that plays and sounds outstanding for only 20% of the cost of a real one, which I also own.

SS850128.jpg

• Members

I have three cheap electrics that I really like and play alot. Well, one is a bass.

One is my 07 butterscotch Squier Affinity Tele.

c354d56c5bce1.jpg

I've had my eye on one of those butterscotch Squier's for awhile now and am thinking I might pull the trigger tonight to ease my election depression (what's $169 when you're about to fork over thousands in taxes?). I love the look of the white Squier Vibe Tele's, but I'd rather have plywood alder than solid pine. Pine is just too soft.

• Members

I've had my eye on one of those butterscotch Squier's for awhile now and am thinking I might pull the trigger tonight to ease my election depression (what's $169 when you're about to fork over thousands in taxes?). I love the look of the white Squier Vibe Tele's, but I'd rather have plywood alder than solid pine. Pine is just too soft.

What is it you put your guitar through that occupys the area too tough for pine but not too bad for alder?

The affinity is thin, too.

• Members

Huh? Can you translate that?

My reply was grammatically correct, was it not?

What abuse do you inflict on a tele which would dent or scar pine, but not alder?

And the affinity tele is significantly thinner in the body than a classic vibe or american standard tele.

• Members

My reply was grammatically correct, was it not?

What abuse do you inflict on a tele which would dent or scar pine, but not alder?

And the affinity tele is significantly thinner in the body than a classic vibe or american standard tele.

1) Go back and read what you wrote ("occupys the area too tough") and judge for yourself.

2) No abuse, but if you research the relative softness of pine you'll find it's at the absolute low end of the scale, about the same as basswood, and not that far north of balsa. I've owned two basswood guitars: an ivory Peavey Wolfgang Standard and a MIM '72 Tele Custom Reissue. I dented both just putting them back in their cases.

3) I don't care about the body thickness. I've played a couple of the Affinity Tele's and was satisfied all around, so the body thickness isn't an issue. I'm not looking for it to be a '52 replica: I already have a "real" '52 Reissue, an AD Ash that looks like a '52, a Lite Ash Tele that looks like a '52, and a custom project Tele (almost complete) with a "regular" Tele body. I just think the Squier is a steal at $169, and looks great.

• Members

Big ledge at the over $300 mark for me. Both are MIJ. One a Fender 50's RI Foto-Flame Strat that was around $350 new. The other is a MIJ Ibanez Talman S-S-S that was around $330 new. These were both early 90's vintage. They are both awesome and fantastic quality.

Other than that, I have a few that are fun knockaround guitars in the $90--$200 range. Dont' mean to sound like a snob, but these guitars ultimately disappoint me and I don't bother with heavy upgrades anymore. I made that mistake twice with real nice electronics in my MIM Strat and Tele. They ended up better than before for sure, but still nowhere near my better guitars.

PaulS

• Members

That is really close to the Fender Sage, nice job....

IMG_8090.jpg

Thanks. I wasnt going for any specific authentic Fender color. I found a really nice colored 'pearl green" and just went with that because I wasnt worried about authenticity. The color looks great in person.

Love that sage of yours too.

Archived