Wall Hangers Hercules Stands vs String Swing

nuke_diver

• Members

I'm going to buy some wall hangers very soon. I've narrowed it down between these two as the ones that look the most secure. The Hercules ones about about 2X the String Swings

Is it worth it for the extra protection of the self locking system?

I don't have to worry about kids and my dog is old and not that active

I do have to worry about earthquakes :eek:though if there is a really big one I think that my guitars falling off the wall will be the least of my problems :cry:

• Members

Guess I'm feeling charitable tonight, so I'll play. :)

I use wall hangers, but have no idea which brand. I buy the ones that look to be the sturdiest from a wall attachment standpoint, with the quality of the U-hanger second. Anything else is irrelevant to me.

That said, I just took a peek at the Hercules on MF, and they seem like a combination of marketing hype and engineering overkill to me.

• Members

Buy the cheaper ones & get some of those elastic hair tie thingies that women use & pop 'em on the prongs of the hangers if yer paranoid. Just make sure you mount them into wall studs.:thu: I just got 6 of the String Swings last week myself.

Unless you're on a fault line & the Big One hits, you'll be fine. If one hits hard enough to dislodge the guitars, then you'll have way other things to be worrying about anyways!

• Members

String Swings are great, I have both the single wall ones and the low profile horizontal hangers.

You can order directly from the company, and they have good shipping prices for Canadians if you email and request your options.

I only have experience with the Hercules ones at local shops, and I find the little "grabbers" to be occasionally very annoying. Good for music stores who want some extra protection, but not really necessary for home use IMO.

Definitely go into a wall stud - I would never trust my guitar to wall anchors.

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

g_v.jpg

• Members

I've used both and prefer the Hercules. It's much easier to lift the guitar on and off of them than the String Swings. Since they have the lock tabs, the Hercules seem to have a little wider opening, which I like.

I live in earthquake country as well and like the tabs. It's not the BIG quake you have to worry about as much as the ones that are just big enough to knock your guitar off the hook.

• Members

Heh, heh, I just checked, and most of mine are StringSwings. All are mounted to studs (w/ some of the boat anchors I own, no way I'd go direct to wallboard w/ a plastic anchor).

If you unscrew the U-bracket a turn or two, it will be able to swivel on itself, and will be able to hold a Tele by tilting a little bit. Holds mine pretty well. :thu:

To the OP, I hate Hercules wall hangers. The damn clips get in the way, and I've always felt they were cheaply made. I've got all String Swings and they work fine, but as many have said, just make sure they're screwed into your wall studs for extra security.

• Members

If you unscrew the U-bracket a turn or two, it will be able to swivel on itself, and will be able to hold a Tele by tilting a little bit. Holds mine pretty well.
:thu:

To the OP, I hate Hercules wall hangers. The damn clips get in the way, and I've always felt they were cheaply made. I've got all String Swings and they work fine, but as many have said, just make sure they're screwed into your wall studs for extra security.

Oh, yeah, it does fine with my Tele's. When I hung the first Tele it did seem as if the headstock might be too narrow, but it isn't, and as you note, it rotates a bit to accommodate narrower headstock.

• Members

I use String Swings, and they're great... except for my tele. The arm isn't small enoug to hold that skinny tele headstock, so it slips through (good thing it's a tele, though, because falling a few feet didn't do any damage).

As others have mentioned the String Swings will swivel to accommodate the tele head. However, you can also squeeze the u bracket closer together for addition security. That's what the instruction said and what I did to one when I used to have a Tele.

I've mounted mine into studs as well as with sheet rock anchors. Both worked for me fine - although I tend to be careful with my guitars.

In my new home, I plan on mounting a piece of wood stock to the paneled basement wall and install the String Swings to the wood stock.

I have an extra String Swing still in the box if anyone wants to trade me something interesting for it.

• Members

I have 10 string swings, and 2 hercules. The hercules models are by far much nicer to use, and here's why: The string swings have little nubs that help keep the guitar in - but you have to turn the guitar sideways to get the guitar in and out of the cradle - but since it's up against the wall, I tend to bang the guitar against the wall each time. Ugh! The hercules system allows you to just lift the guitar and pull it directly out - easy to do with one hand, no thinking.

The good thing about the string swing models though is they are adjustable - you can squeeze the cradle to make it more narrow (for Tele's for example), or pull them apart for acoustics.

• Members

You can order directly from the company.

You CAN order direct from them, but it's $12.99 + shipping. You can find them cheaper. My local mom + pop gives them to be $10 a piece, and I've seen them online for $7 - $8.

Definite vote for string swings, though. I currently have 10 in my living room, and want more. Also, +1 to always mounting to a stud.

IMG_0521.jpg

• Members

Well I just ordered String Swings in Oak for $9.34

I thought that you could just go straight up with the SS and not have to twist...I saw that comment after I had already ordered so too late

They are about 50% less so I bought another pedal instead of the Hercles hangers so I think that's a better use of the $$ even though my wife is going to have a fit when she finds out that the box with 4 guitar hangers also has 3 pedals in it

I'm living on the edge :):thu:

• Members

I have the stringswings and even used the plastic anchors as I wanted to space them in a particular way. I have Les Pauls hanging from them and they aren't going to pull out anytime soon.

I always get the metal wallboard anchors that are rated at 75lbs when I can't go into a stud.

• Members

I use String Swing, the others look like good options as well, but the monkey wrench I want to throw at you is to also consider slat board systems.

The beauty of them is you can maximize storage (wall) space and can easily move the hangers side to side.

https://www.stringswing.com/products/product_info.php?product_id=610&ref_category=15

straight, 30 or 65 degree angle hanger for closer stacking

https://www.stringswing.com/products/product_listing.php?category=9

Archived