Son saw AC-DC now wants SG

isuck

• Members

I have a question. I have heard that both the epi and gibson can be neck heavy. Do you think that this is going to be a problem for the Little guy. He plays mostly sitting down on a small children's chair with strap on.

• Members

I have a question. I have heard that both the epi and gibson can be neck heavy. Do you think that this is going to be a problem for the Little guy. He plays mostly sitting down on a small children's chair with strap on.

The Epi's tend to be a bit neck heavy. The Gibsons are better balanced. But it's not a big problem.

Just buy him a suede leather strap. They have enough tactile grip that they will stop the slight tendency for neck drop on an Epi.

These are my favorite straps - cheap too.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PER-P25-LIST

Oh, and also order these strap locks so he doesn't have a disaster with the guitar popping off the strap and breaking off the headstock.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DUN-7007SI

• Members

Sitting down, no problem.

Standing up, get a non-slippery strap. What GAS Man posted.

• Members

Yeah, I'm with you. I bought an SG for my Stepson last Christmas, and he's a damn good player and was 26 yo, and even for him I only spent $300 for this Epi G-400. Just look at this little happy boy at Christmas.
:lol:

041-2.jpg

When it arrived, I liked it so much, I was tempted to get another for myself. The pickups were just a hair on the dull side, but certainly adequate. He plans on eventually putting some Burstbuckers in it, but it is certainly a platform worthy of the additional expense.

Yeah - even though I have a cherry G400, I missed out on the honeyburst blowout :( . Those look killer :cry:

• Members

Yeah - even though I have a cherry G400, I missed out on the honeyburst blowout
:(
. Those look killer
:cry:

They were sweet. Even smelled sweet. :lol: I got the one I got my stepson for just under $300 as a "blem" and then they blew the rest of them out at that price. :mad: But it was really in fine condition. I just noticed a little bit of extra glue at the body/neck joint and a few tiny black specs on the finish, so it was A-OK.

• Members

Never mind taking him to see santana what about me. We are going to see TSO in early Dec. And Gas Man thanks for the tip on the strap. I all ready have some strap locks that are very similar to those dunlops. He is a good kid and really likes going to see live music of any kind.

• Members

It's cool that your boy wants a guitar like the one he saw Angus play, hopefully it will inspire him to learn more ac/dc songs too. AC/DC, imo of course, is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. They took all the standard rock and blues stuff and cranked it past where anyone ever thought it would go. Their cover of Chuck Berry's "School Days" still blows me away.

• Members

I'd just like to say that you're awesome. No, not because you're buying your kid a guitar, but because you made a really smart deal with him and you're keeping your end, AND you're going out of your way to find the guitar that he's gonna love the most. Prepare yourself for a lot of "best dad ever."

• Members

You could go the ESP/LTD route. The Viper 200FM (flamed maple) is a great alternative and sounds great (should be able to pick one up on the bay with a hard case for under $300). They're a 24 fret neck which is pretty handy and if you find one that is a few years old, they'll come with EMG pickups that sound great with high or low distortion. If you're trying to be traditional (Angus-like), then this guitar won't do as the horns are staggered, 24 frets, etc. The Epi G400s are pretty good and hard to pass up and the kid will flip no matter what you get him! You're going to make him a happy boy.

Archived