Son saw AC-DC now wants SG

isuck

• Members

I took my 9 year old son to see AC-DC in New Jersey last Wed. night (good show by the way). Now he wants an SG. He has been playing for about a year on his Mini Squier and the last few months with my tele. We went to GC today and let him play a few Epi g-400. They seem built OK was wondering if anybody had any experience with them or is there another alternative. The go pretty cheap on the bay so I am leaning that way.

• Members

Too cool. You must be a good dad.

You can find good deals on Gibson faded SG's if you search around as well.

EDIT: although at 9, maybe he might not be ready for that yet...? That'd be your call. The other cool thing about them (fadeds) though is that they seem to me to be lughter than the EPI SG's which could be a good thing for him.

either way, hope you and your boy have a good Christmas.

• Members

Not for Christmas. We made a deal when he started. If he played for one year and showed interest in it practice everything his teacher showed him and not just play with it I would buy him a full size. He has kept up his end of the deal. Does his reading lessons for about 15 min. every night then about 10 min of interval training before he turns up the volume knob and just lets it fly. I had him interested in a G&L asat tribute but AC-DC through that out the window

• Members

Thanks guys. I have found a few G-400 on the bay for 250 shipped. Seems like a decent deal. It will have to be red of course. Now instead of listening to the intro to Hells bells for 20 min a day it will be and hour. He could be doing worse things I guess.

• Members

I say G400 all the way - the "worn" version still go for $299 shipped, and can be found for less. Some here say that the worn version actually sounds better, but the "standard" G400s sound great (I have one
:thu:
).

I had bad luck with mine (just bad mojo and instrument came buzzing like mad) and exchanged it because the Les Paul Studio's price for a sunburst model fell. Had that not happened I would have had it fixed. Had I not exchanged it when it happened I would be kicking myself for not being able to get a sunburst Les Paul at the cheapest possible price. I really want to get another one but in worn brown because I have a DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup waiting to be installed.

Just look for one with a "UC" instead of an "EE" serial number. UC serial worn G-400s will have neck binding and look better. Buying sight unseen might run you the risk of getting an EE.

Don't force him to settle for a G-310 or Special. Those things have the neck bolted deeper into the body and have poor upper fret access.

• Members

I had bad luck with mine (just bad mojo and instrument came buzzing like mad) and sent it back because the Les Paul Studio's price for a sunburst model fell. Had that not happened I would have had it fixed.

Just look for one with a "UC" instead of an "EE" serial number. UC serial worn G-400s will have neck binding and look better. Buying sight unseen might run you the risk of getting an EE.

Don't force him to settle for a G-310 or Special. Those things have the neck bolted deeper into the body and have poor upper fret access.

Not really looking at the g-310 or specials. It's the g-400 or step up to a gibson

• Members

Not really looking at the g-310 or specials. It's the g-400 or step up to a gibson

The Gibson pickups are a step up but the Epi worn G-400 has a better looking fretboard (Epi's is bound and inlaid with trapezoids, Gibson's is unbound and inlaid with dots). The unbound fretboard of the Gibson also raises an issue because some have been known to have sharp fret ends. Also, the one-piece neck of the Gibson is easily broken by abuse. Curiously the Epi doesn't have either problem. However, once your son is your age and he hasn't sold/damaged it yet, the Gibson would be worth a whole lot more.

I suggest the Epiphone for someone of his experience. I have about three years of playing and I don't consider myself worthy of a Gibson yet.

Wait, you had your son interested in a G&L ASAT? Isn't that the Tele shape? I know when I was 9 I wouldn't have been happy with a Tele, if your son were to trade place with my 9-year-old self I would have wanted some kind of Jackson or Ibanez. But that's me back then, and your son was inspired by your Tele so I can't say anything

• Members

With the economy these days, you can see gibson faded SG's for like $400.

The fact it says gibson will make him love it even more.

If that is the case, ignore everything I said about the Gibson's faults. If he promises to take good care there will be no issue.

• Members

At Nine I don't really think that means a lot to him (unless it was an Angus sig model) Plus he knows that cost is important.

• Members

I know a guy who knows a guy who'd be willing to sell this new condition Gibson SG Special for six-fiddy.
:D

DSC01863-1.jpg

That looks so nice. But back to reality. He is 9. 300 is about my limit. Maybe that can be our next deal, go another year and you can step up.

• Members

I tend to agree. If you can snag a Faded at a bargain price, and if you can swing it, it's more of an investment grade instrument. It will actually appreciate if you find a good deal on a used. one. On an Epi most folks generally start thinking about changing pickups, whereas that can also be true with a Gibson SG Faded as well, it's certainly not necessary. I have two of the SG Fadeds, the yellow I pictured above (which is a limited run version) and I also have a worn brown which I like a little bit more.

• Members

That looks so nice. But back to reality. He is 9. 300 is about my limit. Maybe that can be our next deal, go another year and you can step up.

Yeah, I'm with you. I bought an SG for my Stepson last Christmas, and he's a damn good player and was 26 yo, and even for him I only spent $300 for this Epi G-400. Just look at this little happy boy at Christmas. :lol:

041-2.jpg

When it arrived, I liked it so much, I was tempted to get another for myself. The pickups were just a hair on the dull side, but certainly adequate. He plans on eventually putting some Burstbuckers in it, but it is certainly a platform worthy of the additional expense.

Archived