UA Unveils UAD-2 PCIe DSP Accelerator Cards & Revamped v5.0 Powered Plug-In Software

Music Calgary

• Members

You will love it, guaranteed. I have one here and am working on a review
:)

Do you know if you will be able to use it in combination with the UAD 1 cards? I have a PCI and a PCIe card, and I was just going to buy another PCIe card.

I haven't heard anything about mixing and matching them.

• Members

I have yet to hear from anyone that has these plugs and who doesnt love them. This includes many pros who are very particular.

Christmans is coming!

I don't love all of them, but yes most are the peachiest plugs. When I bought in (at the Project Pack level) I came to feel a little gypped. The CS-1 channel strip, in particular, is way below the UAD standard, failing even to sound as good as Sonnitus to my ear ears. They give you limited editions of the Pultec and the 1176 (both of which sound great) and the RealVerb (verb is generally not UAD's strength, though the Plate is good) and Nigel, the amp modeling and guitar efx system. Together, this is barely even a taste of the UAD yumminess.

Now, since then I've bought 5 or 6 outstanding plugins and will certainly buy more, but honestly I thought they were a bit stingy with the project pack offerings. The Mackie intro-level version used to ship with LA2A and 1176 licenses. That was more reasonable.

• Members

UAD did a survey a while back about what the user base would like to see next.

Seems they're really pushing the Neve models, with "instances of the 88RS channel strip" being one of the ways they're measuring the processing power of the new cards.

They sent out feelers regarding instruments. What do you think? Do we have enough modeled Moogs and Arps and Hammonds and sampled Rhodes and Melotrons? If UAD stays true to what they do, there would be no mega, multimode synth, but very neat little models of analog (and electro-mechanical??) classics. Thing is, the interface complexity of something even as focused as the Minimonsta is SO far beyond anything UAD has done. I am not saying they couldn't; just that it's a whole different game and there's no guarantee they would assume the same stature they enjoy with their compressors and EQs and mastering tools--which are the best I've used by far.

But the thought is exciting. Creamware--was it?--did synth emus off a DSP card and they were very highly regarded. I wonder what all the power of a UAD-2 Quad yoked to a Minimoog model would sound like.

• Members

My two cents on the instruments vs. effects thing...

I've been going hard on virtual instruments since day one and definitely the core value there is in the quality-sounding tools which can get things done well quickly.

Native Instruments VSTis are a great example. You can pop open B4 and dial up a usable patch in 10 seconds for 95% of projects. All the NI stuff is like that.

IMHO UAD should definitely stay away from instruments and focus on effects unless they are going to license the established faves such as the NI line, etc. There are already way too many instruments which, for one reason or another, don't streamline workflow. Just an opinion.

A side opinion -- in terms of instruments the really complex synths, although appealing to the people who make and sell them, are much less useful on a day-to-day basis. Most people who are into making complex synth music either bring those tracks in with them, or bring in their presets/laptop to play them through. I never see anyone using the studio to write complex synth music anymore. Whereas by contrast a lot of players will dial up a patch in B4 and spend a few minutes working out ideas in the studio.

In fact some instruments are inspirational. Elektrik Piano is a great example. Get it setup right and that plug can inspire you to all sort of grimy riffery. *Love* that plug.

Again, just opinions, not intended to convince. I'm definitely not down on UAD either way -- love 'em.

• Members

My two cents on the instruments vs. effects thing...

I've been going hard on virtual instruments since day one and definitely the core value there is in the quality-sounding tools which can get things done well quickly.

Native Instruments VSTis are a great example. You can pop open B4 and dial up a usable patch in 10 seconds for 95% of projects. All the NI stuff is like that.

IMHO UAD should definitely stay away from instruments and focus on effects unless they are going to license the established faves such as the NI line, etc. There are already way too many instruments which, for one reason or another, don't streamline workflow. Just an opinion.

I think you make some very good points. The main reason I can see for UA getting into instruments is if they do something unique - like really opening up the innards for processing, and sort of melding a signal processor and virtual instrument.

The other reason would be to run CPU hog instruments on DSP, without having to stress out your processor. For example, Massive sounds great, but it really likes CPU cycles. A DSP-driven Massive could be cool. :thu:

• Members

Cool! I would get at least a duo if I had a PCIe slot, but I ain't building a new DAW for this...all in due time

I have the PCI and the PCIe card. I have one PCIe slot left so after I get this one I will be selling the other PCIe card and getting another quad later in the year.

I have had the PCI UAD-1 for a long time and I use it a lot. I did a project this winter and I couldn't afford to mix at a real place so I did it at home. I used the Neve stuff, the Fairchild..... all of the demos and they just rock.

Good luck with your new computer.

Archived