rocktropolis.net - a better soundclick

aenemated

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's something I threw up there...I did it in the fall when I went into a big open tuning acoustic phase. I was taking a class learning Pro Tools and this was the first thing I made. Not very rocking and the mix is really rough but I think it's a pretty progression/melody that I'm going to expand on in the future.

http://rocktropolis.net/channel.php?user_id=26

• Members

You looking for a loadbar, cause there ain't one - yet I guess... Just click the upload and wait a bit.

nope. not that. just reverts back to the original upload screen after a period of time...almost like it times out. i'll work on it some more tomorrow.

• Members

You looking for a loadbar, cause there ain't one - yet I guess... Just click the upload and wait a bit.

yeah, imma rebuild the upload tool to use flash, which allows for upload progress. php5 does too, sort of ... but it's mostly a hack and i've yet to see it implemented all that well.

• Members

added, duder.

hmmm ... weird. i just checked the db and you don't have any tracks, so it's not even getting to that point.

how big are the files you're uploading, out of curiosity?

yeah, imma rebuild the upload tool to use flash, which allows for upload progress. php5 does too, sort of ... but it's mostly a hack and i've yet to see it implemented all that well.

Thanks man, so how do i register without a code? im confused :facepalm:

• Members

damn, yall. i feel like i'm under one of my crazy client deadlines to get all this done for ya!

i've spent about the last hour or so developing something of an IA document, as when i actually got started, i didn't think it through too much.

so imma post that in a bit for some feedback. it's not pro IA cuz that's not what i do - but it's close enough.

• Members

looks pretty good aene, the facebook app sounds cool. what about searching though, how expanded is it going to be? like, will we be able to select a genre and search tags inside of that genre? or the other way around?

other than that, the mock-up looks great!

• Members

yeah, i didn't get TOO specific ... and truth is, most of that was for my own reference. i tend to get (much better) IA from my clients, so i just tried to build my own to work off of so i have something to look back to as i build {censored}.

searching is pretty open ended, for the most part. search - especially in an application like this with somewhat limited resources - can only be as good as relative descriptive terms are. it's really kind of relying on user input. but at the same time, i spend enough time on the internet to know not to allow random tagging. i don't trust people enough to NOT tag stuff with {censored} like "this is {censored}in terrible" and the like. i think by offering something of a wall against direct criticism, people would be more inclined to open themselves up.

it's hard to put your music out there. for most, it's pretty personal. and direct criticism can affect someone's decision to expose themselves. it might sound pussified - but what if bob dylan was a little scared to put his songs out? we might have missed out on a lot. i want to offer an area where anyone is comfortable to post their music and not have to worry about assholes. if they go beyond that and the site - hey, that's their problem. but i wanna do what i can.

this is why my "listen" ranking is going to be based on people actually listening to the whole track. it validates it somewhat. anyone can just go click "play" a million times if they want, but what REAL good does it do? if someone doesn't listen to a whole track, why bother recording it as a listen, ya know? it opens up too many easy possibilities for forgery. and if someone's dedicated enough to {censored}ing the system that they'll sit there for god knows how long listening over and over again - more power to you. you win. but it at least makes it a LITTLE more honest.

{censored}, i went on a tangent. thinking out loud and all. i talk to myself a lot. yes, the search will allow searching for specifics within genres.

i need to change the wording on that. i don't like "category."

• Members

musician tags their own. no tagging of other's content. ever. people are dicks and they talk {censored}.

i don't want people intimidated by the possibility of being {censored} on. and i don't feel like moderating it. there're of plenty of places on the internet to talk {censored}. my site ain't gonna be one of them.

Archived