who actually tries before they buy?

cobberdig

• Members

There was a time i would of never bought anything without playing it first. Now with the internet and all i find myself hunting all corners of the earth for certain makes and models and buying based on research and photos.

On a further note do music shops still exist? last i checked i dont even need to leave the house to even buy strings or picks...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As long as you are buying from a reputable company with a good exchange policy... go for it. Higher end guitars, I would buy without playing them first such as the Edwards and others available only in Japan but things like tube amps, I'd want to play first if at all possible just to get a feel for what kind of vibe the have. Youtube will only tell you so much. Through Youtube, a DRRI and a Champ XD can sound pretty damn similar.

• Members

Personally I would never shell my hard earned cash for a guitar without playing and inspecting first.

I used to feel the same way before my first Sweetwater order - it was a guitar that I could not get anywhere in my area. So unfortunately trying it first was not an option - but I had a great shopping experience and the return policies nowadays are pretty nice.

• Members

I spent most of the 1980ties trying and sometimes buying.

The rate of "keepers" I brought home isn't significantly higher than it is now buying blind from ebay or forums.

I attribute it to the difference in testing. Coming home from work or school, stopping by a guitar shop, having listened to professional music from awful speakers in the car you are completely de-adjusted when testing.

If anything, you need to play at home, then go to the guitar shop, dragging your rig in and test on a weekend, not on a workday.

• Members

I'm surprised that no one ever mentions this here. Is it possible that no one has figured it out?

Most music retailers have a 30 or 45 day in-home trial. You can play it at your place for a few weeks and return it if you don't like it. GC/ MF/ Sweetwater/ etc don't advertise it that way because then they'd have to put up with all kinds of screwballs taking advantage of 'em, but that's what their return policy really is.

So I'd say pretty much nobody really buys w/out trying.

• Members

A couple of years ago I used to go out to the music stores and try out and if I liked it I would buy it, but I have an elderly father that I am caring for and I cannot leave him alone and go and do that any more, plus most of the guitars that I am looking for the stores do not carry or don't have a very good selection and I would have order it anyway, so for the last couple of years I have been buying online and if I don't like it, return it. I kind of miss going out to the stores to shop.

• Members

Well, maybe not try the specific guitar your buying, but if it's a new make entirely to you run to a local guitar shop or GC to try the guitar out and get a feel for the make.

If you're buying off Ebay some have the return too, usually only like 14 days though. I truly wish I had local shops in my area that carried good brands. There's no high end guitars sold at the shops around here. I'd definitely take advantage of that over online ordering, but that option just isn't there.

• Members

I've bought on ebay and from Musician's Friend and similar places from time to time. But the bulk of my buys are local, via pawns, music shops (usually trade-in stuff on consignment), craigslist, and the local band scene website's classifieds.

You done good too, love your collection... :thu:

• Members

Yeah choice is the clear advantage of buying stuff online. I dont think i could find the guitars i want locally or if i did it'd be potluck. Its nice there are plenty of articles and reviews on different makes and models so you can sorta make an informed choice or gauge what it is your looking at.

• Members

Guitars vary too much even in the same model. Sorry but IMHO they do. So if you buy first it's always a risk but with return policies maybe it's negligible. But then it's a pain to return something too. IDK I guess I'll still try to stick with trying first.

• Members

I always try before buying, with only two exceptions, I had to get my local long and mcquade to order me a deluxe players strat (though I tried one I really liked at the twelfth fret, mcquades has a much better lay-a-way system so i ordered a new one through them without touching it) And that is definitely one of my go to guitars, it was sent perfect. Also, I just ordered and recieved a Gibby Joan Jett Melody Maker. Again, in perfect condition, so maybe I lucked out.

Archived