who actually tries before they buy?

cobberdig

• Members

I would love to try everything before I buy it, but like others have said, I don't like being limited to the selection in the few stores within reasonable driving distance from me. A couple of years ago I would have never bought a guitar without actually having held it in my hands, but after being frustrated with not being able to find exactly what I wanted, I learned how to do the whole set up thing, make the basic adjustments myself so I could take a chance on something I liked online.

So far, I've found 2 great axes that I kept, but I've returned a couple of others for various reasons...and I've never had to pay any return shipping charges, it's no great feat to talk your way out of those.

I'll still check the local stores first, but the majority of my purchases seem to be online these days.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yeah i just looked at your pages. i like the peavy fury bass for some reason looks cool. i have been chasing a yamaha sb500 sorta looks like that but has a heastock like an ibanez blazer. Oh u from gainsville? same town as against me! they are big nowdays....

Yeah, Against Me! are from here now, though they were originally from downstate, Clearwater I think. They opened for my band several years ago when nobody had heard of them and they consisted of the singer playing an acoustic and a kid playing percussion on a plastic bucket (not making that up!).

I reckon its good to be specific and have good constrast between the instruments you keep. i wouldn't want multiple guitars that just did same thing. who owns twenty les pauls?
:facepalm:

Haha! Like Slash?

I kinda figured the vintage epiphones were made in the usa but can you tell me which models are made at terada in japan?

No, I'd have to look it up to give you a full answer, but certainly the Elitist/Elite models are MIJ. Also, in addition to the vintage USA Epiphones, there are limited edition/pricey Epi's still made in USA from time to time. The current Epi P-90 Wilshire is an example of such a model.

yeah you'd think they be using the same machines in china & korea so they should theoretically be the same. but depends on the timber, the workmanship, QC and what they let out the door. the point i was trying to make with epiphone is similar with the ravelles where u got same model being produced in different places which creates variation in quality. so if i were to buy that instrument without playing it would be a greater risk.

True dat, no doubt. As others have pointed out, places like Muso's Friend, American Musical, and other large online retailers generally have pretty good return policies, as do some very reputable small importers like Kurt at Rondo and Jay at GFS/Xaviere (both of whom are forumites here). In my case in the example I used, I found the Ravelle on consignment in a local mom&pop, tagged at $450, and looking like new. I was skint at the time and figured if it was still there when my birthday money rolled in (months away), it would be a sign I should go for it. Sure enough, guitarists being a conservative lot, she was still there when I had cash in hand much later, and I picked her up for 4 Benjies even. Had I not been able to try her out first, I would've been leery of paying that much coin for MIC (being a cheap bastard and all), but the Ravelle is a really nice one.

• Members

Many of the things I like to buy are not your common stuff that is easily found. There's pretty much no chance of rounding up a bunch of boutique pedals to try out in one place, so I've had to go blind for many but have had great results.

Next time you're in the area check out Boston Guitar Works (where I believe I bought your guitar!) they have the best selection of pedals I have seen anywhere in the country.

• Members

I would love to buy from the locals, but of the two shops in my area, one I can't even afford to walk into ( very nice selection of vintage and high end equipment) and the other is a step above typical pawn shop offerings...

I bought my Reverend online after checking out Youtube demos, and went for it (no one within 100 miles sells Reverend)...I was nervous, but the return policy pushed me over the edge and I thought I'd try it out...

And I haven't been disappointed. True, you never know what you're getting when you order online, but it's a valuable tool for those that don't have access to a good music shop (which is probably more of us than not).

Nowadays, consider yourself lucky if you can try before you buy...

• Members

ha! i am in a very similar boat. I seen tonight theres a yamaha SA2000 in the ishibashi ubox but i dont reckon i would trust a guitar like that in the freight.

Na man...if your really interested in it then do it. Ishibashi are the {censored}. I ordered a tele from them and it was packaged INSANELY well...I'm not joking...It took me half an hour to get down to the guitar there was so much bubble wrap......no exaggeration..And I've never heard one compliant about yamaha guitars. In fact everyone raves about how good they are. The build quality and sound consistency has a great reputation.

The will have it shipped from the branch location to their main location (where ever that is) and inspect it an let you know in excruciating detail every flaw...In fact with mine they were so detailed that I thought the guitar was in worse shape then it actually was when I got it. I was expecting more scratches and I got the thing and it was much nicer then the way they were describing it. That one has a hard case...no worries there.

If you still want it after their description and photos....and are nervous you could tell them to bubble wrap the guitar inside the case as well to prevent movement (although they would probably do that anyway). EMS (japan express mail) will get it to you in less than a week. (provided your customs doesn't delay it.)

The staff there were super helpful.

• Members

Na man...if your really interested in it then do it. Ishibashi are the {censored}. I ordered a tele from them and it was packaged INSANELY well...I'm not joking...It took me half an hour to get down to the guitar there was so much bubble wrap......no exaggeration..And I've never heard one compliant about yamaha guitars. In fact everyone raves about how good they are. The build quality and sound consistency has a great reputation.

The will have it shipped from the branch location to their main location (where ever that is) and inspect it an let you know in excruciating detail every flaw...In fact with mine they were so detailed that I thought the guitar was in worse shape then it actually was when I got it. I was expecting more scratches and I got the thing and it was much nicer then the way they were describing it. That one has a hard case...no worries there.

If you still want it after their description and photos....and are nervous you could tell them to bubble wrap the guitar inside the case as well to prevent movement (although they would probably do that anyway). EMS (japan express mail) will get it to you in less than a week. (provided your customs doesn't delay it.)

The staff there were super helpful.

yeah i've bought a guitar from them before they are excellent you've described it well... and the modesty the reciept said something like "not for professional use or home use" (i forget exactly) yet it was pretty much flawless. its a base model japanese yammy SC700 best guitar i own and cost under $AU400 shipped to australia!

Archived