Ask Larry Conklin

LarryConklin

• Members

By now, most of you have seen my television program, or have heard my wedding band play at the local Ground Round. If so, you know that after years of practice, I have acquired what we guitar players refer to as "the hot licks".

Since many of you are still new to playing, I thought I would start an open thread to answer your questions about playing, gear and techniques - such as how to properly use the "thirty channel", how much reverb is enough (hint: you can never have enough) and the appropriate usage of the wahwah bar.

I wish to impart my knowledge to you, so that one day you may be a master of the hot licks and perform such memorable songs as "Elvira", or something completely different altogether.

So ask away, and I will do my best to answer. I may even throw in a dating tip or two, if you're lucky. ;)

Best,

Larry Conklin

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dear Larry,

Why is everyone on HCEG talking about you? I must have missed the thread that brought your amazing, amazing presence into our daily conversations. Can you, or anyone else, please show me where I can learn more about this wonderful person?

Your fan,

Birdbrain

• Members

Larry,

I have the new Ed Roman designed Larry Conklin signiture guitar. How does it compare to the original and is it true that the 1500G Neck Mod allows one to eat french fries and then do some pentatonic hot licks while really leaning into it to get the Eric Clapton sound?

Should I wash my hands before attempting do 'Centerfold' with this method?

Also, is it true Nancy is Napoleon Dynamite's mom?

11-4.gif

LCSIG.gif

• Members

Dear Larry,

Why is everyone on HCEG talking about you? I must have missed the thread that brought your amazing, amazing presence into our daily conversations. Can you, or anyone else, please show me where I can learn more about this wonderful person?

Your fan,

Birdbrain

Look no further, my feathered friend!

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2220174

• Members

Larry,

I have the new Ed Roman designed Larry Conklin signiture guitar. How does it compare to the original and is it true that the 1500G Neck Mod allows one to eat french fries and then do some pentatonic hot licks while really leaning into it to get the Eric Clapton sound?

Should I wash my hands before attempting do 'Centerfold' with this method?

Also, is it true Nancy is Napoleon Dynamite's mom?

One question at a time! As you have no doubt noticed from my playing technique, I cannot handle multiple chord changes, the same way that I cannot handle multiple questions at once.

Yes, that is a very nice guitar, and you can even do some blues melodies with the extra reverb knob. The fingerboard comes with a special de-greasing agent (courtesy of The Ground Round) that will allow you to play after eating french fries, with no adverse effect on the wood.

• Members

Dear Larry,

In watching your performances I've decided that what's holding me back is that my chord changes are way too smooth...I'm apparently not doing it right. How do I slow them down so they sound a little choppier? Thanks in advance.

Ah, a common question. You need to think more about the chords that are coming up. A good 2 or 3 seconds of thought before each change will adequately prepare you for what's ahead!

Archived