Ask Larry Conklin

LarryConklin

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I received one question via PM that I'd like to answer here. Yes, my guitar is a 2007 Teisco Relic model. For some reason, after all those years of practicing, I just didn't see any natural road wear on my guitar. These relic guitars do the job perfectly.

One glance and you know I have the hot licks!

• Members
How did I know it would be a set of GFS picups?
:p

Hey, I'm never going to use them and they're not worth selling. This will be a cool way to get rid of them.

Maybe if we get some really good entries we can make a 2nd and 3rd and I'll give some of the tuners away too!

• Members

Larry,

Why does your right man-boob hang over the belly contour in the picture there? Is that your secret way to really get the guitar locked in tight for the super hot licks? I bet you could really bend the neck with a grip like that on there.

• Members

Larry, I see that your influence has spread to even Hollywood. Were you hired to coach on this film? Start at 4:25.

Sadly, I had to ask for my credit to be removed from the final film. You see, Steve Martin refused to use the thirty channel as I specifically instructed, and they deliberately used a guitar without a wah-wah bar. Even after I explicitly said you cannot attain the hot licks without one.

I stormed off set and that was that. I don't think any of those people ever went anywhere in their careers after that.

• Members

Larry,

Why does your right man-boob hang over the belly contour in the picture there? Is that your secret way to really get the guitar locked in tight for the super hot licks? I bet you could really bend the neck with a grip like that on there.

You have to hold your guitar gently, as you would hold a woman. A woman like Nancy perhaps. Sweet, seductive Nancy....

I'm sorry, you were saying?

• Members

Sadly, I had to ask for my credit to be removed from the final film. You see, Steve Martin refused to use the thirty channel as I specifically instructed, and they deliberately used a guitar without a wah-wah bar. Even after I explicitly said you cannot attain the hot licks without one.

I stormed off set and that was that. I don't think any of those people ever went anywhere in their careers after that.

Good on ya, Larry, someone has to take a stand! I knew that your influence was there, but it just missed............something.

• Members

Larry, I just have SO many questions for you. Where should I start?

First of all, we all want to know when your next album is going to be released? I've about worn out my copy of "Up to Thirty!"

Oh, and the second thing, and I hope you don't mind me asking, who are your major influences, and how did you take what you learned from them and make it "your own sound?"

One last thing... this one is an equipment question. Do you think straight cords or coiled cords are better? I mean which one transmits the reverb sound better?

• Members

LC.gif

Oh my snap! That Public Access setting is what I have been missing in my blues/country tone. That is why "Elvira" sounded nothing like the original...this setting is the epitome of what is missing in all styles of music!

• Members
Ok Larry, so far, I have thrown some random questions at you to test your overall acumen. I gotta say......I'm mostly impressed.

I do however have a musical question for you. I was born with one regular hand, and my other hand (fretting hand) looks like a chicken foot. I have found that certain chords are very difficult for me (f#maj6/9.3) Not to mention I'm hell on a guitar's finish.

You're very dextrous. Any suggestions on how to improve the dexterity in my "chicken hand"?

and for the rest of you.....no chicken pickin jokes please, this is a malady.

Holy {censored} that brought tears to my eyes. The gal in the cubical outside my office thinks I am having a nervous breakdown.

• Members

Larry, I just have SO many questions for you. Where should I start?

First of all, we all want to know when your next album is going to be released? I've about worn out my copy of "Up to Thirty!"

Oh, and the second thing, and I hope you don't mind me asking, who are your major influences, and how did you take what you learned from them and make it "your own sound?"

One last thing... this one is an equipment question. Do you think straight cords or coiled cords are better? I mean which one transmits the reverb sound better?

"Thirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", the tentatively titled follow up to "Up To Thirty", is scheduled to come out later this year as a Circuit City exclusive. It should do well, I think!

My major influences are the unsung heroes of the bar, and later, Ground Round circuits. The unknowns who first taught me how to turn the reverb knob clockwise, how to gently caress the wah-wah bar, and unlocked the secrets of the thirty channel to me. To them, I raise my hamburger and salute.

And lastly, melody chords work best to transmit the reverb. Everyone knows that!

Archived