The Televersary

Geeter

• Members

Saw this link browsing the Gretsch Pages

I think it's pretty cool

Sure is! The guy musta spent a small fortune to have that done ..and then give it to his wife! That color combo with the cream binding looks killer.

If you just looked at a body pic of the guitar and ignored the Fender 'F' on the Bigsby, you might be fooled into thinking it's some new Gretsch model.

• Members

Thanks for the attention folks, and also for the kind words.

Although the thing is not quite finished(no headstock label of any sort, floating pickguard not finished), it is a delgiht to play and sounds fantastic. At the current sxchange rate, the cost for Willows to build the body/neck by custom specs was $420.00, and I supplied the hardware to complete it. The price included assembling and setting up the guitar, both which were just about flawless aside from some poor color matching issues that happened along the way. Nonetheless, it plays like a dream. Sure, it cost more than expected, but I imagine a custom Warmoth job to the specs I had laid out would have been stellar in cost. FYI, Willows Guitar not only supplies WD with their guitar bodies and necks, but also does Kent Armstrongs fantastic pickup line as well.

Originally I thought about an overwound lipstick in the bridge (8.3k output), but the bar magnet simply couldn't put out the henries to match and was grimly quiet, not even being able to keep up with the TV Jones Classic. The Kent Armstrong TCH-1 is a fantastically chunky replacement that matches the package much better.

Here are the shots that were taken in the shop prior to my arrival and pickup. Note the unfinished wenge(er...why wenge?) they threw in as rear cavity covers:

2429_L2.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the attention folks, and also for the kind words.

Although the thing is not quite finished(no headstock label of any sort, floating pickguard not finished), it is a delgiht to play and sounds fantastic. At the current sxchange rate, the cost for Willows to build the body/neck by custom specs was $420.00, and I supplied the hardware to complete it. The price included assembling and setting up the guitar, both which were just about flawless aside from some poor color matching issues that happened along the way. Nonetheless, it plays like a dream. Sure, it cost more than expected, but I imagine a custom Warmoth job to the specs I had laid out would have been stellar in cost. FYI, Willows Guitar not only supplies WD with their guitar bodies and necks, but also does Kent Armstrongs fantastic pickup line as well.

Originally I thought about an overwound lipstick in the bridge (8.3k output), but the bar magnet simply couldn't put out the henries to match and was grimly quiet, not even being able to keep up with the TV Jones Classic. The Kent Armstrong TCH-1 is a fantastically chunky replacement that matches the package much better.

Here are the shots that were taken in the shop prior to my arrival and pickup. Note the unfinished wenge(er...why wenge?) they threw in as rear cavity covers:

2429_L2.jpg

Wow Ultradust, that is without a doubt the most beautiful Tele I've ever seen. You outdid yourself on this one. I used to think your pink Tele was incredible, but this one takes the cake. BTW, didn't the pink one used to have a TV Jones in the neck or at least have a neck PU?

Oh as far as matching output on those: I put a Rio Grande "Muy Grande" in the bridge of my Thinline which is a higher output than traditional Tele bridge PUs and it matches my TV Jones "Classic" very well for balanced output.

• Members

Wow Ultradust, that is without a doubt the most beautiful Tele I've ever seen. You outdid yourself on this one. I used to think your pink Tele was incredible, but this one takes the cake. BTW, didn't the pink one used to have a TV Jones in the neck or at least have a neck PU?

Oh as far as matching output on those: I put a Rio Grande "Muy Grande" in the bridge of my Thinline which is a higher output than traditional Tele bridge PUs and it matches my TV Jones "Classic" very well for balanced output.

You've definitely know your stuff, and many thanks for the thumbs up :)

The Esquink indeed used to have the TV Jones Classic, and it was a bit of a struggle to decide what was going where, namely when it came to the Bigsby B16 I had floating around. In reality, the floating aluminum bridge and flatter break angle of the assembly exhits a much more jangley/buzzy Gretsch-like tone on the overall mix (looks aside), and probably would have appeared more "proper" as a Tele/Anniversary hybrid, yet I wanted Cindi to have a guitar with the greateest stability, and the B16 is such an unusual beast to tame despite its charm.

On a whim, I was soon drilling holes in the Pinky and before long it became an Esquire, yet now tonally in a world of its own with B16 and the very airy Nocaster bridge pickup. The neck shim was not an easy thing for me to get a grip on, but the results seemed to pay off.

And yes, I've heard very good things about the mighty Muy Grande, and glad to hear the meatier output works for you as well...BTW, I'd love to see pics of the filtertron'd treasure, if I haven't already.

pink1.jpg

DSCN6741.jpg

• Members

Of course, there was a behind-the-scenes story that cannot go untold. The aforementioned "color matching issues" caused a few tense moments upon arriving at the shop and seeing something far removed from a Gretsch 6118 color combo, but they were fun to see and may be of amusement to some you guys...The guitar had no less than two refins before I gave the OK, and it makes me chuckle to think of what almost happened:

Try #1: Sea Foam green

andi01.jpg

andi02.jpg

Archived