And then they came for me...

Music Calgary

• Members

*UNBELIEVABLE* = for the first time ever the U.S. Army is being deployed within the U.S. on a day to day basis "to deal with civil unrest". Welcome to Iran!

The Army Times reports this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to Northern Command. The paper says the Army unit may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control.

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/9/22/headlines#10

With a 76% disapproval rate and the worst economy in history it defies the imagination that Americans continue to just swallow this:

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/36204

I doubt there are many world leaders with less than 20% approval. That's Mugabe-esque. Bushocracy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

*UNBELIEVABLE* = for the first time ever the U.S. Army is being deployed within the U.S...

First time ever? I don't think so. The National Guard, for instance, has been deployed on many occasions.

And I doubt they'll come get you in Canada. We haven't tried to take your country for 196 years or so. :D

• Members

First time ever? I don't think so. The National Guard, for instance, has been deployed on many occasions.

And I doubt they'll come get you in Canada. We haven't tried to take your country for 196 years or so.
:D

Many in both the Guard and the regular US Army would be distressed to have the two conflated.

National Guard units are state based entities that can be nationalized under a centralized national command with permission of the state governor. The US Army is strictly fed.

National Guard units were mobilized in LA during the riots of '92. I never thought I'd be glad to see Humvees bristling with guns rolling down the streets of my town. But I was. Chaos is a terrible thing. I found myself standing in my own backyard, a big fire axe in my hands, watching glowing cinders floating down from a burning grocery store a few hundred feet away.

Here is, for me, the most notable bit of info in the article:

The 3rd Infantry Division

• Members

Many in both the Guard and the regular
US Army
would be distressed to have the two conflated.

National Guard units are
state
based entities that can be nationalized under a centralized national command with permission of the state governor. The US Army is strictly fed.

It IS?!?!?!?! Wow, I had no idea. And oranges and apples, despite both being fruit, are also not the same? Gee wilikers, SSS is full of smrt peepul!

:lol:

I was giving an example only, Blue, not confusing the two entities. ;)

• Members

Here is, for me, the
most notable
bit of info in the article: Urban warfare hardened troops ready for action in US streets -- ready to defend
... someone.

A Cracked article linked to this page* in a spoof of the media. Reading it is truly disturbing. Apply what you read to the public and the media. Now imagine the psychological effects and conditioned responses these soldiers have been through. I served and know what they do to your mind.

These guys are coming from a combat situation where the are personally investing in winning; their lives depended on it. Literally.

Now combine these guys in a policing situation with a significant portion of the population at the boiling point, due to economic oppression, and fueling protest and dissent. It starts to look like Nam all over again.

Cracked article- 6 brainwashing techniques they're using on you right now

Cracked article- 7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

*http://www.cultclinic.org/qa1.html

What is a Cult?

There are many alternatives to how one might define a cult, and especially destructive cult. We use the definition given by the Interfaith Coalition of Concern About Cults, New York, of which we are founding members.

Destructive Cult Characteristics:

1. Self-appointed messianic leader(s) who focuses followers

• Members

It IS?!?!?!?! Wow, I had no idea. And oranges and apples, despite both being fruit, are also not the same? Gee wilikers, SSS is full of smrt peepul!

:lol:

I was giving an example only, Blue, not confusing the two entities.
;)

Well... I was making a state vs federal distinction, not trying do be pedantic. (That part comes natch. :D )

That Cracked article on everyday brainwashing was particularly apt at this point in time!

• Members

Thanks for the link. Probably belongs in the poli forum, but I sure wouldn't have seen it if it was.
;)

Exactly. I'll let this live here for a while so people can see and comment, but will eventually close it because it really is Poli Forum material. Or I could just move it and leave a redirect.

In any event, this won't make my friend who thinks Bush is going to figure out some way to cancel the election feel any better :)

What if we go into the election with Obama having an electoral and popular vote advantage according to all polls, but McCain wins? Or vice-versa, for that matter?

We have some scary times ahead of us, no matter what. BUT do remember one comforting aspect of history: It was the army that brought down Joseph McCarthy when no one else had the balls to do so. People who are willing to die for this country often feel protective about what it stands for.

• Members

ok, and for those with an active imagination.

The command is located at a airbase that also supports civilian aircraft and space surveillance and global airlift. :cop:

Our Vision: "America's Space Superiority Wing - Globally Postured to Ensure Space Dominance"

Today, the 21st Space Wing is host at Peterson Air Force Base. The Wing commands and supports sensor units located throughout the world. Its primary mission is to provide management, training and evaluation for assigned missile warning, space surveillance, intelligence and communication sites.

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/peterson.htm

• Members

Hardly the first time ever.

First time ever? I don't think so.

Umm, yep it is... :)

The fact is this is the first time ever (yes it is!) that the U.S. has deployed troops against U.S. citizens without any end date.

That's it. They aren't going anywhere. Welcome to Talibanville.

You guys on the other hand are citing events with specific end dates. HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. :thu:

but will eventually close it because it really is Poli Forum material. Or I could just move it and leave a redirect.

My bad. Now I know. Apologies, won't happen again.

• Members

My bad. Now I know. Apologies, won't happen again.

Apologies not necessary. Students of history may recall that the Poli forum was spun off of SSS because there was just plain too much traffic, and it was split 50-50 between political and music topics. So if you were interested in only one or the other, you had to wade through them all and it was very time-consuming.

That said, I still have an interest in politics. The problem is that in a forum context, it often deteriorates into name-calling and mud-slinging - gee, just like REAL political campaigns :) You may have noticed I've let a few poli topics slip in here (sssh!!) as long as there was rational discussion. I even thought that religion thread we had a while ago was remarkably civil and downright educational in many respects.

So basically, I'm going to be very arbitrary about this, letting the occasional topic through when it's least expected, and imperiously squashing the others when I feel like it. After all, SSS is a benevolent dictatorship ;)

• Members

Benevolent? Hey pal, Kim Jong-il thinks of himself as a Dear Leader too

I believe Dear Kim was a Conway Twitty song -- and if it wasn't it should have been, i.e.:

Dear Kim

How are you doon?

It's been three thousand miles since I saw you

Dear Kim

Please don't be blue

Cause I'll be home back again real soon

Would've sold ten million with the Twittster behind it... :thu:

• Members

No, I really don't think it {censored}ing does...It's NOT Politics...It's about EVERYDAY LIFE being affected. This is a blatent violation of the
Posse Comitatus Act

This is very very important and Unconstitutional. Has nothing to do with partisan politics and there is no debate on it. Do you like Freedom? You better starting giving a {censored} buddy because You are living in a Fascist nightmare.

Trust me, man. I with you all the way. I'm sure the entire forum will vouch for my dedication to civil liberties.

I don't appreciate the hardcore tone you taking with me, though. Do a search of my posts and see what you find. I'm a civil liberties propagandist, buddy.

This is funny, he's going off on me and I'm probably more hardcore than he is.

:confused:

You think that's bad, I could show you plenty more that's worse. Trust me, buddy. I give a {censored} more than you obviously know.

Btw, the Posse Comitatus Act was ruled invalid by this: The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007, which was quietly signed by Bush on October 17, 2006, the very same day that he signed the Military Commissions Act, allows the president to station military troops anywhere in the United States and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities, in order to

• Members

I wouldn't even have a problem if this was a reasonable deployment, but to quell "civil unrest" seems kinda scary, given the current situations. I haven't seen any civil unrest that needed US Army deployment, are they expecting some?

Constitutionally, the US Army (nor Marines Air Force nor Navy for that matter) cannot set up shop in a state unless requested by that state's governor, unless a state of martial law is declared. I'm not sure what the procedure for that is. :confused:

I have heard about and read a lot of veiled threats from some quarters about race riots that would make 60s Detroit look like a picnic if Obama loses. I suspect that's part of what's happening. I've also read articles about National Guard troops being decimated by the hurricanes in the gulf, as well as being deployed overseas, and being outgunned by gangs and bands of looters in catastrophes like Katrina and Rita.

In this climate we find ourselves in, everything the government does is subject to criticism-if they prepare for the worst, they're being fascists. If massive riots do break out and there's no preparation, it'll be the governmant's fault for not seeing it coming.

No wonder no one worth a damn wants to run for office anymore. :facepalm:

Archived