And then they came for me...

Music Calgary

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, now I'm glad I didn't move the thread because there's a major lesson here.

Ken made a statement. sventvkg read something into it that wasn't there. From that came misunderstandings and acrimony. YET both communicated and worked it out. sventvkg was big enough not only to apologize to Ken, but to send me a very heartfelt note about how much the people of SSS mean to him, specifically mentioning Ken as part of that. Ken, for his part, was big enough to accept the apology and realize it was just a misunderstanding that got out of hand.

It's times like this I feel SSS goes beyond being just a bunch of text on a page.

• Members
Well, now I'm glad I didn't move the thread because there's a major lesson here.

Ken made a statement. sventvkg read something into it that wasn't there. From that came misunderstandings and acrimony. YET both communicated and worked it out. sventvkg was big enough not only to apologize to Ken, but to send me a very heartfelt note about how much the people of SSS mean to him, specifically mentioning Ken as part of that. Ken, for his part, was big enough to accept the apology and realize it was just a misunderstanding that got out of hand.

It's times like this I feel SSS goes beyond being just a bunch of text on a page.

Thanks for saying that. Sventvkg sent me a very nice PM. I think the whole thing is that we're both passionate about what happens around us, and came to that realization.

And you know, the whole reason I created that short-lived thread ( :D ) was because I was really sensing that something was happening that was deeply affecting many of us and our moods and what was constantly on our minds, and the posts today seem to be a confirmation of that. We may disagree on things, but the thing is that many of us are sensing some shifts that we are uncomfortable with, or we simply want things to get better for us and our family and friends.

• Members

Thanks for saying that. Sventvkg sent me a very nice PM. I think the whole thing is that we're both passionate about what happens around us, and came to that realization.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that passion is what makes the two of you far more alike than different.

I've often found during my life that people with whom I initially had a major disagreement ended up being close friends if we took the time to work things through. The same passion that can make people go for each other's throats is the same passion which, when channeled in a positive direction, and be a huge force for change and commonality.

• Members
And you know, the whole reason I created that short-lived thread (
:D
) was because I was really sensing that something was happening that was deeply affecting many of us and our moods and what was constantly on our minds, and the posts today seem to be a confirmation of that. We may disagree on things, but the thing is that many of us are sensing some shifts that we are uncomfortable with, or we simply want things to get better for us and our family and friends.

+1,000,000.

I believe your observation is correct. If there's one thing I've learned over the past 13+ years, it's that SSS really does reflect the world. It's interesting to see how people react - "No politics, this is my only safe haven left" to "If only there was a safe haven to discuss politics." Yet politics really is on everyone's mind, and there's no way that won't reflect somehow in SSS.

As a moderator, to shut it down completely wouldn't ring true because that would be denying reality. Nor do I want to encourage wallowing in this reality; SSS is about more than that.

As usual, it's a tightrope walk and I'm sure if I fall off, y'all will let me know if I haven't figured it out for myself :)

• Members

I think it might be helpful to also state that the majority of people that make up Craig's party are essentially on the same page as you Sventvkg, in your concern for these issues. We may not all agree about the causes or the solutions, but we do agree there is a problem.

And as much as I can sympathize with your approach, militancy in advocacy will actually repel more minds than it will change. The key is just plant seeds and move on. The key is to make people think, not change minds. I learned from personal experience too many times that if you take propagandizing too far, you will usually alienate the typical "sleeping" person.

It is best to let the individual decide. Just provide more information for that person. Just say, hey check this out...

It's better than "We'll burn your cities and enslave your women and children if you don't accept our truth as law!"

Archived